2002 R6 Electrical issues after standing for long time - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Loving my R6

Bike: Y2K R6 | '02 R6 | '06 R6
Garage
2002 R6 Electrical issues after standing for long time

Been looking through treads but cant seem to find anybody with the same issue as this.

All I can conclude is that the wiring harness is the problem so here is a breakdown of whats going on.

I have an 2002 R6 that has been standing for about 2 years now and I finally decided to fix it.
After installing a new crank, bearings (big and main), conrods, pistons and rings, I put the bike back together and for some reason there is no power to the clocks and the bike doesnt start.

I replaced the battery and checked the earth cable and they are testing OK.
I have also replaced the starter solenoid and all the fuses on the bike.
When I test the ignition, there is power going towards it and once you turn the ignition on it sends power through the main switch to the wiring harness.
The petrol pump primes when you switch the cut off switch on so I know its not that.
The battery is at 12.46v and I test the same on the ignition and other power terminals.
No leakage picked up either.
I also changed the 16 pin relay under the seat.
I have cleaned all the wiring plugs and also made sure that they make proper connection.

I have gone through the wiring harness just quickly and couldn't pick up any breaks or damage to it. It was never taken out of the bike and it was working before the crank seized.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Any advise anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Loving my R6

Garage
Re: 2002 R6 Electrical issues after standing for long time

Update 1

I tested all the plugs for power and opened the wiring harness up and all tested ok.
I opened the starter and it looked ok except for some wear on the centre shaft that connects to the brushes. I tested the starter directly connected to a battery and voltage meter.
At first the starter turned but very slowly and then stopped, I also noticed a dead short when testing the starter.
When I switch the ignition on I can hear the relays switching on and the petrol pump works so I guess its just coincidence that the clocks and the starter is broken.
I haven't had time to test the clocks but will do it when I get home from work today.

Need more bikes!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:26 AM
1st Gen R6 - Resurrecter

Bike: 2001 R6

Good luck. When I restored my bike the best advice given to me was the KISS ideology.
K- Keep
I - It
S - Simple
S - Stupid

Read up on the diagrams and I am sure you will find your way.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Loving my R6

Garage

Update 2

So after spending a lot of time going through each electrical component, I found out that the neutral switch wasn't working either and for some reason when I got the bike started the clocks also decided to start working again??!!

Now I need to check a couple of other things...
1. The oil light stays on, I have checked the oil pressure and it is good so I'm guessing its another sensor that's broken.
2. High beams LED stays lit on the dash, even when lights are on dim.
3. Radiator coolant empty light also stays lit on the dash and the water is circulating like it should throughout the engine.
4. Still have some sort of charging/battery issue. Drove all day yesterday and she started first time every time but then didn't have enough charge on the last ride to start again after stopping at the shops. Changed the Stator to another one I had lying around and will check again later.

Need more bikes!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.