Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Rear Axle Nut on Vacation!

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  BobbyS 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
So while on my ride to work this morning, my rear axle nut decided to go on vacation. Let me tell you, thats a pucker factor of 11/10. Anywho, the rear axle partially came out so obviously that caused some issues. I'm wondering if there is anything I need to look for when I get the bike up on a stand and the axle out and the rim off. I.e. bearings, straightness of the axle, or anything else that may cause an issue down the road.
Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
I must not have torqued the nut down all the way. I do 99% of the maintenance myself so it's almost certainly my fault. I'm just happy that I could keep relative control of the bike.

it depends how far it came out. if it backed out where it was not captured by both sides of the swingarm it could have bent the axle and messed up some bearings. possibly even bent the sprocket side of the swingarm.
It definitely is out of the brake side. I'm hoping the damage is minimal. I'm already looking at having to get a new rear tire and maybe a new chain. The chain chewed the hell out of my tire. Bits of rubber all over the rim lol.

#10 ·
Any pics

Unfortunately I do not have a camera that is easily accessible due to my phone being out of action. But aside from chewing up the tire, not much really happened.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I didnt read it that way... not many know to do that. :wink::wink:

I believe you can buy a 32mm subaru hub retaining nut for like $7 which is a direct replacement for the stock nut.
Regardless... installing from the brake side allows most of the axle to come out before a catastrophic failure on the drive side. Loose nuts aint good!!! :D
I have a bike stripping place right near my work which had an 06-07 axle nut for $6. So I went and picked that up today and got everything back together so I can at least get the bike home. And yes, it's supposed to go in from the sprocket side with the nut on the brake side. But no worries, it's now torqued down to 81 ftlbs now which is spec.

#8 ·
1. As I read it, it was in from the sprocket side, since it was the brake side that was loose.

2. The R6 doesn't come with a castle nut...or a hole drilled in the axle for a hitch pin. An easy mod to do, but how many people do you think have ever performed that mod? Not many.

#14 · (Edited)
yeah f that. my R1 is 137 ft/lbs. and that's what I go to. I had to buy a new torque wrench I'm not playing guessing games on it. there is a lot of force on that back wheel from the engine. you don't want the chain adjuster screws to be doing all the work keeping the wheel in place
even the front wheel on the R1 is 83 ft/lb

#21 ·
this same discussion comes up with the sprocket nuts. I've always went to the spec torque settings and never broke a stud. everyone complains they break the studs.
mine are at 71 ft/lbs. I just changed out my chain and sprockets last weekend. I guess folks need to learn how to use a torque wrench first of all.

#23 ·
Hi everyone, I had this same issue tonight. While riding and decreasing speed from 120 to 50 exiting the highway I got speed Winnie for the first time. It scared me a little so I continued to slow and didn’t it mind. I then noticed when I throttled the bike was wiggling side to side so I stopped and found my axel half way in. I got it back in and got home slowly with not bolt. It rode fine so I’m hoping damage wasn’t to bad. I rode maybe 1/2 mile with wheel like that doing about 50. I know the chain guard is screwed, oh well. The swig arm I believe is what it’s called also has some small chunks bitten out not a huge deal I guess. But idk if the gain should be changed now it looks fine tho. My brand new tire on the back has cuts all in the l gain side idk what is considered really bad or what. I’m obviously a new rider. So my story differs in that I had my tires chain and sprocket recently changed at a shop. I assume it was their fault. Here’s my big issue atm, looking for the invoice I called a girl that dropped me off at the shop hoping I left the paper with her in the car, she told me they flew out of my backpack on the road and never told me. Awesome right. So now I technically have no invoice other than my bank statement which doesn’t not specify the work done. So it doesn’t specify the shop took off the rear axel bolt and all that. I’m thinking of calling an attorney to see what I should do because I believe the shop isn’t gonna help me especially considering I have no invoice. Any advice? Thanks guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.