Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2012 yamaha r6 wont turn over

5K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Primezyy 
#1 ·
Ok so i recently bought a wrecked 2012 yamaha r6 and i am trying to make it turn over (not start as rhe bike is still in pieces i just want to hear it turn over) the gas tank and radiator are not currently hooked up. When i get power the tail light is on and so is the speedometer. When i go to try to start it nothing happens once it gets power it has this winding buzzing noice that is coming from on top of the motor are by the spark plugs under the air box... i am wondering what is there and if there is something i can do to fix this issue.

#4 ·
I assume your using a brand new battery or a battery known to be good? The neutral light issue could be the switch or the wiring. I don't know the condition of the bike, but have you at least tried to turn it over by hand? Could the sound be coming from your starter motor? A video is sometimes helpful if the sound your hearing is definitive. But not really much to go on here.

But download the service manual if you have not already -> R6 Service/Maintenance/Repair Manual - R6Messagenet.com

#7 · (Edited)
Did you look at the service manual I linked?

Fault Code 22 is open or short circuit to the air temperature sensor

Fault Code 23 is open or short circuit to the atmospheric pressure sensor

These could be due to not having them connected, faulty wiring or bad ECU. But these will not keep you from starting the bike assuming they are the only fault codes.

If they are connected I would start inspecting your wire harness. Check the wires for continuity between the plug at the sensor and at the ECU. If your issue is Electrical you have to do it piece by piece like putting together a puzzle. Rule out the wire harness as an issue first before jumping to the bigger picture, lets say the ECU for example. But while your fault codes alone will not keep a bike from starting they could be part of the puzzle.

#9 ·
I am having the same issues this guy has...

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/57-g...l-light-wont-start.html#/topics/133145?page=1

I am ordering a new battery... is there any off brand battery you would recommend or just stick to a oem? Anyway when he says I need to ground the neutral light switch... does he mean I need to run a ground wire to it? Or do I need to ground the wire going to the switch or what??? I'm sorry I'm such a noon I've never been around a r6 before or any motorcycle for that matter. Also would u recommend I bypass my kickstand sensor?

#11 · (Edited)
dont go that route. the bike was engineered the way it is for a reason and works if hooked up properly.

there could be many reasons your bike has no power to the starter. are you even sure it doesn't have power to the starter? you bought a crashed bike. you need to correct all that sh it first. there is also a tip over sensor. it shuts the bike off in a crash. there's fuses, relays, wires etc etc.
take your time and go through the bike first. hacking shit only makes it worse.
there's a reason it's not working. you just have to find it.
the built in diagnostics of the ecu makes it a lot easier. download the manual and look in the chapter about the fuel injection. it's usually in there how to access and use the diagnostic function. you can test all of the circuits.
it could be as simple as the fuel pump not being hooked up.

the noise you hear is probably the electronic throttle motor.

#12 ·
Update: I have a new battery on the bike. Fixed the neutral light. I know have a normal ignition with switch and key. I had the solenoid clicking at one point and fixed that. When i turn the key the tailight comes on. The solenoid clicks just once. I go to hit the starter and nothing happens at all. The solenoid will click if I flip the kill switch from running to not running. The starter itself makes a high pitch but quiet noise constantly when the key is in the on position. I will find a video linking to that noise... my switches/fuses/neutral light/kickstand switch/clutch switch. are all good. If I bypassed the starter solenoid and hooked it straight to the battery to try the starter would that be such a bad thing to do????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.