2005 r6 fuel pump wont prime - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage
2005 r6 fuel pump wont prime

Hey guys, this is my first post on here although ive been on and reading threads for a while. I recently bought my r6 NOT RUNNING. Someone had attempted to steal the bike and mashed up the ignition bad [i have the title from previous owner and now in my name, i didnt buy a stolen bike!]. I have replaced that, but when i went to fire it up it would crank and not fire. I didnt heard the pump kick on, so i did some investigating [on these forums]. I found a lot of people had issues with the SCCR [Starting Circuit Cut-Off Relay] which would cause issues with their pump not kicking on. I bypassed the relay, and got the pump to kick on but it runs continuously. The bike starts and runs, but i have a code now due to voltage issues and i am afraid i will fry my ecu if i leave it wired up the way i have it.

Now heres the kicker. I just got a replacement relay, put my wiring back the way it was, and still same issue. Ignition on, in neutral, kill switch in run position, and no pump priming/turning on. Any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage
Re: 2005 r6 fuel pump wont prime

I also forgot to mention i have tested the wire from the fuel pump to the relay [red w/blue stripe] for continuity and it is good. I have a wiring diagram i was looking vut the only thing i can locate from the ecu to the fuel pump is that relay. Could it possibly be a bad ground?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:54 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Hmm, lets start with the error code. What error code and when/how are you getting error code?

What have you checked other than SCCR? Did you check Fuel Pump resistance? Wiring/connectors?

Could very likely be an issue with your wiring/connections, I would spend time here to make sure.

Someone will have to correct me here if I am wrong but I think the fuel pump shuts off when a certain pressure is sensed? Does fuel leak out of injectors or anywhere else for that matter when it actually primes?

I'm just throwing things out there to get your thread rolling. But the more info we can get the more likely someone has a solution.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

The error code is 43. I get it only when i have the jumper wire connected to get my fuel pump to kick on. [Bypassing the relay off a switched power wire] i have not checked fuel pump resistance, i am assuming it is good solely based on the fact i got it to kick on and the bike to start. The connectors look in good shape, no corrosion and all pins are in tact. I also am under the impression the fuel pump shuts off after priming and reaching a certain psi [i dont have the specs in front of me]. It could be possible its not reaching its pressure because theres a leaking injector(s). That is something i havent considered. The bike sat for roughly 2 years before i got it to start after buying it so it is possible it has some injector issues going on as well.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:27 PM
I eat my R6

Oh ok, good so error code is a non issue then.

Another thing I would check, more so to limit possible faults, is to pull the connector (R/L, B) to the fuel pump and check the voltage when bike is switched on. If your not getting around 12V and you can confirm the wiring from the relay to the pump is good then you know your issue is the power to the relay.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

So if the relay isnt getting power it looks like [based on the wiring schematics] that the problem would be with the ecu if im not mistaken? I will check this asap
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:53 PM
I eat my R6

Disregard what I said about checking the voltage at the pump because if your relay isn't switching then your obviously not getting voltage, duh. You got the pump to run so checking this voltage even jumped is useless, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepareForTakeOff View Post
So if the relay isnt getting power it looks like [based on the wiring schematics] that the problem would be with the ecu if im not mistaken? I will check this asap

Could be or hopefully just a bad connection or wire. You can test the continuity from the SCCR to the ECU ( light green wire). I can't imagine it being a bad ECU, I would think you would have other issues. And the fact that you got the bike to run also helps to rule out some other issues as well. Since it runs but only jumped we can rule out items such as the engine stop switch and everything downstream. Which means the R/B wire which feeds power to the positive side of the inductor in the SCCR relay gets power, therefore if there is an issue it is the negative side of the inductor or the Light green wire mentioned previously. (Thinking out loud here, haha).
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

Lol well i appreciate all of your knowledge and help! I am not much for troubleshooting electrical, but i do what i can with a diagram. Everything is working as it should when i have the R/L and the R/B wires tied together that go into that relay. Ive ridden the bike 200 miles with no issues [except a bad coil causing a cylinder to shut down] but that engine code worries me because i feel like im backfeeding power through the ecu and dont want to fry it. I want to fix it and fix it right, hence why im here asking for any help i can get!

So far with those wires jumpered i have a constantly running [not priming] fuel pump and the bike will start. With the brand new relay installed and all wiring back to factory i have no fuel pump at all.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

I will test that light green wire for continuity tonight when i get home from work.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

I was looking at a parts list on partzilla and noticed there is a fuel pressure sensor on this thing. Im now wondering if its faulty and not telling my ecu to turn the fuel pump on. One of my buddies has an 03 and if im correct i believe both the ecu and that pressure sensor are interchangeable between my 05 and his 03 r6 so this weekend im going to have him come down and swap some things around. Any more input or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.