Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Need Help: Identify wires, Get bike Running A+, Electric issues. 2002 R6. Photos:

8K views 31 replies 3 participants last post by  Flyers28 
#1 ·
I got a deal on a 2002 R6. Has 3500 miles. Turn signals have the flush mount kit. And rear are the double led.

I found a few stray wires as I was hook g up the signals ( yes they were disconnected ).

Photos are left side of bike. Lower. And under seat

Thanks everyone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Help to identify wires. 2002 R6. Photos:

Yea those were the tough ones to dictate based on pictures. The Red/black wire is a constant 12V source, so what I think (and I am speculating here based on what I can see) is they spliced that Red/black wire to the black/blue wire that fed to the sidestand switch originally in order to bypass the switch. The black wire was the ground wire to the sidestand switch harness which is cut and taped because they no longer needed this as they picked up the ground somewhere else.

But like I said it is really hard to tell if a wire is black or say black/blue etc. So I am merely making assumptions, you will have to check the wiring diagram against what you see to confirm or deny my assumption.

#8 ·

Not completely. Working on getting the flush mount led signals to work as running lights as well! Can't drive at night time. And no lic. Plate light.

Haven't confirmed what wires hose were. Makes sense to be the kick stand
I will be going out to look.
@NitrusReigns that's be great!

#9 ·

Not completely. Working on getting the flush mount led signals to work as running lights as well! Can't drive at night time. And no lic. Plate light.

Haven't confirmed what wires hose were. Makes sense to be the kick stand
I will be going out to look.
@NitrusReigns that's be great!

Let me know what you still are unsure of and I'll get you whatever info I can

#12 · (Edited)
Help to identify wires. 2002 R6. Photos:

I have another wire to question! @NitrusReigns @Flyers28.

Connected to Rectifier . Insure why. It's spliced into it with the blue easy fitting.

If you took out that connector to the reg/rec and looked at it with the snap at the top, is it the top right wires?

EDIT: The red should be top left and the black top right, yes? If so, here - it's the highlighed section

#14 ·

I am also having major issues.

The bike keeps dying after a few minutes of riding. And won't restart DEAD BATTERY. bought a new battery. Same thing. Didn't take long AT ALL. I had the wife follow me and we jumped it 5x to get home. (Let it sit connected to charge 5min at a time).

I did notice. After charging it. If I ramp to high rpm is when it kills the battery and bike.

Shouldn't it run without a battery once started? Ordered a new rectifier anyways even if it's not the issue.

#15 ·

I am also having major issues.

The bike keeps dying after a few minutes of riding. And won't restart DEAD BATTERY. bought a new battery. Same thing. Didn't take long AT ALL. I had the wife follow me and we jumped it 5x to get home. (Let it sit connected to charge 5min at a time).

I did notice. After charging it. If I ramp to high rpm is when it kills the battery and bike.

Shouldn't it run without a battery once started? Ordered a new rectifier anyways even if it's not the issue.

Lol...kinda sounds like you need a separate thread, but you almost definitely have an issue in your charging system. Get out the manual and go through the troubleshooting procedures. I'd there's anything you don't understand, feel free to ask (I just had a few learning experiences in that section of the manual myself)

#17 ·

I traced the wire to a ground. It's grounded to the top of the engine. Idk why They would ground the rectifier when it should already be grounded in the harness. And the rectifier connector has been modified tonuse space clips for top left and top right. The white clip is still there attaching the 3 white wires.

#18 ·

I traced the wire to a ground. It's grounded to the top of the engine. Idk why They would ground the rectifier when it should already be grounded in the harness. And the rectifier connector has been modified tonuse space clips for top left and top right. The white clip is still there attaching the 3 white wires.

If you need that troubleshooting section of the manual or the wiring diagram or whatever, I've recently been through all of it and quickly either shoot you some pdfs of just the sections you need or send you the page numbers

#22 ·

Should I consider replacing the stator? These commonly fail?

No idea how common it is on these bikes. I'm primarily a Kawasaki guy. However, personally, I wouldn't do anything at al until fully troubleshooting and diagnosing the actual problem. There's no point replacing something if you don't know what's wrong...

#24 ·

I'll attach the whole electrical chapter as well as just the section about the charging system. The end of the whole chapter (end of the manual) has a full system wiring diagram and the beginning of the charging system shows the whole diagram with just the charging system stuff highlighted (not grayed out).

Let me know if I can help more.

Attachments

#28 ·

Turns out the black wire that was going to the rectifier was not very well connected. After going through wiring and getting ready to wire the new rectifier up, I tried the old rectifier again for new readings. And it is now reading 13 volt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.