Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

06 r6 having trouble starting

1K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  Flyers28 
#1 ·
The problem I'm having is about half the time the bike won't start without the throttle cracked, when it does that if I let it run for a few seconds it will idle. Bike has no check engine light. Thanks

#2 ·
Can you provide any more info? There's nothing to go on here other than trouble starting which could be a host of things.

How many miles on the bike?
Did the problem just occur out of nowhere?
Was the bike sitting for any length of time?
Any other symptoms while riding?
etc.

Those are just questions that come to mind, but any other info would help somebody help you.

#4 ·
Ok valves were going to be my first suggestion. Since it happened after sitting my next guess is fuel. If you still have that same fuel in the bike drain it and put some quality fuel in and run it through. Might not hurt to put some good injector cleaner in there ( I use Amsoil Quickshot).

#8 ·
Alright, yea I'm just shooting from the hip here to narrow things down until someone that had this issue knows the fix. But a quick internet search did return quite a few mentions on the battery being culprit, I don't know if I bought their logic but figured it was a place to start.

I'll keep pondering until the more experienced comes along. I admit I am still learning engine diagnostics myself.

Could also be throttle body sync (if valves were adjusted but throttle bodies were never synced I would check this)

#11 · (Edited)
Someone here will be able to help you out I'm sure.

Syncing Throttle bodies is an easy DIY you just need the tool or you can make your own.

Even if it's not that, still good to check to make sure they are in sync.

Your problem probably won't require major work and is a simple fix, just a matter of knowing what to fix.

While we wait for the experts to come along also check your air filter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.