Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2007 R6 Died And Has No Power

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  carp_5 
#1 ·
2007 r6 34k miles, I've had it for about 8 months and haven't had many issues with it, but the other day my HID KIT kept popping the fuse. It was a long time coming to replace them anyway so I bought new ones. Installed them today, put in another 15 amp fuse (even though it called for a 20 amp I didn't have one right then and figured a lighter fuse would be fine. Not sure if it is related or not but I rode a couple miles home from where I was working on the bike. Got home and was parking the bike and turning the steering column back and forth backing the bike up when the fan kicked on because the engine reached 212 degrees, and when the fan came on there was a high pitch whining noise. I stopped for a second and then thought maybe it was normal but I never noticed before because I forgot to put the little cowlings back on that cover the ballast boxes and wiring when I was done with the HID install. So I was deciding if it was normal or not while still backing the bike up and when I turned the handlebars one way or the other the pitch and volume of the whining noise would change, back and forth every time I turned the handlebars. Then suddenly the bike died immediately and I lost all power. Turned the key off and back on and still no power. I had to leave the bike and haven't been able to look at it the rest of the night but I'm assuming I popped an ignition fuse or the ignition went out or ecu went out or something. I tried to explain the best I could so hopefully I explained what happened accurately. Also I haven't been able to diagnose anything so I know my post is a little premature but I didn't know if anyone has experienced anything like this before? I'm hoping it's simple but I'm scared that it's not. Even then, what could be popping all my fuses suddenly? Thanks for the help!

See less See more
#4 ·
I got home and checked, sure enough the ignition fuse was popped. I've tried a couple of different things like unplugging the HID KIT and as soon as I turn the key it pops the ignition fuse, the tach cycles once and that's it. So there has to be a short somewhere I would assume?
I had HIDs on it before too but didn't seem to have any major issues like this. I am looking into LEDs though

fan hitting wires?
and that HID kit will cause your bike to have charging issues. it draws more than the stator can put out. so either take it off or always have a fu cked up bike.

#5 ·
Ended up being the fan hitting wired like you suggested. It was in a hard to see place, but when I put the HID KIT on yesterday I found a little place to secure my ballasts, but I had to push some wires over to do it. When I did that the wires were up against the shroud right where the path of the blades are so it cut some of them and shorted them out and tangled them. Got them spliced back together and she ran great today! Thanks for the help everyone! HIDs are working great too, I've never had any trouble with them on cars or bikes, but I get what you are saying. I'm looking into an LED kit but I'm fine with them for now, thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.