Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

no crank... need help.

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Flyers28 
#1 ·
Ok guys, so i recently decided to do some work to my 07 r6. I put on db bars and stripped all the fairings and tucked the wires. I added led headlights and made custom brackets to hold the gauges. I replaced the battery because the old one was dead and wouldn't hold a charge. When i replaced the lights i used the oem connector and wired it to the lights with shrink tube connectors.

After getting everything together, it turns on, but will not crank. To clarify, the gauges come on, but when i press the start button, nothing happens. No clicking, nothing. When the key is on I get a high pitched hum/whine from somewhere. Neutral light comes on fine so i don't think it the neutral switch. Noticed also that headlight and taillight are also not on. blinkers work, but brights don't. When i flip on the brights, i can hear the relay click but the light doesnt come on and neither does the indicator on the cluster. I double and triple checked all connectors and fuses. I bypassed the ignition, but still the same. Battery is at 12.8v so plenty of juice. Anyone experience this before? Any advice? Didn't find anything in the search.

I was a mechanic for years and have worked on hundreds maybe thousands cars so my mechanical inclination is high, but this is my first bout with bikes. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
High pitched "hum" is the fuel pump priming.

Have you tried starting it while holding in the clutch? Have you tried to bump start it?

If you're not getting crank, the first thing I would check is the starter and starter relays. Also check out the kill switch/starter assembly.

#3 ·
I thought the hum was the fuel pump, it used to be a less high pitched sound and used to stop after about 4 seconds. Now its constant.

Where is the starter relay located on these things. I read somewhere that is under the seat, but cannot seem to find it.

I did try it while holding the clutch, still nothing. Also tried with the kickstand up. I was gonna try and bump start it, but it seems very hard to push it in gear now. I assumed it was because i put a -1 sprocket on the front. I have bump started it before I did all of the work.

#5 ·
Alright so i found the starter relay. Apparently i am blind haha. Jumped the terminals and it turned over but wouldnt start. I had to extend the wiring for the kill switch to fit the db handlebars. So i am going to go back over it and double check my wiring. (Although i am confident its correct). Also gonna check for power to the switch. Maybe i missed a connector when i checked.

#6 ·
Alright so i double checked the wires. they are all good. I checked it, and i i have power to one wire at the kill switch when off, and both wires when on. With the start button i have ground on one wire when not pressed and both wires when pressed. From what i've read, and basic electrical knowledge, this is correct. However since it doesn't start even when i jump the terminals, My next step is to test where the wires go after the kill switch. Anybody know where they go or have a wire diagram for the 07 r6?

#7 ·
Well i think i may have found the problem. After studying the wire diagram. It looks like the start switch and kill switch both go to the "starter circuit cutoff relay". This is the only stop between the kill switch and the coilpacks. So hopefully this is it. I will keep you guys updated when i check it out tomorrow.

Btw here is the link for that diagram.

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/pdf/2006R6Service.pdf

#8 ·
No crank RESOLVED.

So i checked for power at the relay and realized i had none. That means i am losing power between the switch and relay. To confirm, i jumped a hot wire from the battery to the relay and she fired rright up. What a relief. Im gonna double check that there is a strong connection on the butt connectors i used to extend the harness. If not ill replace the butt connector. If everything checks out there, ill assume there is a break in the wire and just run a new one. Thanks those of you who chimed in!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.