Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

MSD Digital Ignition

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BISHILVR 
#1 ·
Hey everyone

Just wondering if the Digital Ignition sold by MSD is worth putting on a R6? I have a '92 mustang that uses a MSD digital ignition, and was wondering if it will affect my R6 the same. I'm new to the motorcycle mechanical world and am wondering if the preformance upgrades will act kind of the same as they would when upgrading a car. Such as changing exhaust, MSD digital ignition, port polish heads, change gearing, swap out air filter, increase fuel comsumption, last but not least getting it tuned.

Appreciate your answers,

RR

Also, anyone live in the Sunnyvale, CA area that are going to bike nite on June 27th sponsored by Santa Clara Motorcycle Accessories. If ya are hit me up. I just moved from Washington State and would like to make some new riding buddies.

#3 ·
Your model already comes with a digital ignition. Those mods will not make the same difference on a motorcycle because motorcycles (the big four) dont have the same loose tolerances designed into them that a cheap car has, and that is why your motorcycle is quieter, gets better gas milage, and will tear your car apart stock for stock. How many production cars can make 150-160 hp per liter? Japanese sport model motorcycles are already making almost the limit for horsepower the way that they are sold, customers that want every last horsepower from the unit will be the ones that will spend the money for the expensive and involved mods to get it, and there wont be many more horsepower for the money to be had unless the mods involve actually increasing the displacement of the engine.

#4 ·
BISHILVR said:
Your model already comes with a digital ignition. Those mods will not make the same difference on a motorcycle because motorcycles (the big four) dont have the same loose tolerances designed into them that a cheap car has, and that is why your motorcycle is quieter, gets better gas milage, and will tear your car apart stock for stock. How many production cars can make 150-160 hp per liter? Japanese sport model motorcycles are already making almost the limit for horsepower the way that they are sold, customers that want every last horsepower from the unit will be the ones that will spend the money for the expensive and involved mods to get it, and there wont be many more horsepower for the money to be had unless the mods involve actually increasing the displacement of the engine.

Thanks for your info. I understand now. Whew :) makes it a lot easier to mod. now. I'll just get the exhaust I like and PCIII and a custom map along with 520 conversion.

Thanks

RR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.