Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Can't get Ignition Bolts out!!!

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  danaatscootdotnet 
#1 ·
Well if any of you can give me some ideas on how to get these damn Ignition pins/bolts or whatever they are out I would appreciate it.
I drilled one of them down quite a ways and then stuck an easy out in the hole thinking I could loosen it and back it out, but NO it is way too tight and started bending the easy out so I stopped because I didn't want to break it off inside.
Are these things like theft proof because I can't figure out another way to get them out?
The triple is supposedly bent according to the dealer so if I have to I might just take a damn hacksaw to it!

Here is a pic of the ignition:

I have a new Vortex triple that will be replacing the OEM one. I also ordered the screws from Yamaha to put the ignition back in.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I have never actually taken them out but I have been told that you have to drill the head of the bolt off. The Ignition switch should slide off the bolts and then you can use vise grips or the like to remove the bolts from the top triple tree clamp. If you use factory bolts to reinstall the ignition they should have a hex head on them that you tighten untill they break off. Again, never done it but thats what I have been told.

#3 ·
Anyone else? I might just drill the hole bigger and get a bigger easy out that will hold up to some torque to see if i can get it to break loose.
These bolts are threaded in correct and not pressed in?

Thanks

#4 ·
No, dude, no one else wants to give you advise. Im just doing it cause I need the practise anyway. Definately use a bigger drill bit because your trying to drill the heads off of the bolts. Once you get the head off the bolt it should let the ignition slid off the bolt studds and then you can unscrew the studds with vise-grips or the like. OR you can wait on some better advise.....its your time, spend it as you will.

#5 ·
Yea man I totally understand what you told me. I was wondering if there was any other way to get them out instead of drilling, but I guess drilling is the only option.
The metal on these bolts are hard as hell to drill and I've been going through titanium bits like crazy and turning them blue and I'm not getting too far here.
Think I might just take it to a machine shop instead as I don't have the correct tools and I'm not going to spend a bunch of money just for this.......

#11 ·
wish i saw this thread earlier, i just replaced the ignition in a friends '99 r6. i used my right angle drill and started w/ a small bit, then made the hole big enough for an easy out. taped the easy out up in a little bit then used my pen torch to heat up the ignition (where the bolt goes in) a little bit to loosen the loktite. then used a small wrench to turn out the bolt.

only took me about an hr. to remove fairings,headlights and ignition, then reassemble

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.