Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Front Sprocket Nut

37K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  asdfjklm 
#1 ·
I pulled off all my stuff to do my 520 conversion and my front sprocket has NO nut on it. WTF? Of course no one can get it to me for about a week. Do you think i can go to a hardware store and find one that will hold it until then? I want to take advantage of this beautiful weather.

#32 · (Edited)
Here you go Kevyz80...

The size that I used was an M18/1.0/Lefthanded. I did have to Special Order this from a local Tool Supplier, so I hope you WON'T have to do the same. I believe it cost me 6 or 7 USD when I picked it up for my bike a couple years ago.

Here are a couple pics of it, sorry the first is blurry...

Relative size with a DVD ...

The Die by itself

#33 ·
asdfjklm thanks very much for the response!

Turns out the guy managed to spread the threads at the end of shaft and get the nut on! so im chuffed and have spent the day riding! cost me £40 labour to fit the front + rear sprocket and chain and sort the front shaft. Cant complain :)

Thanks

#36 · (Edited)
asdfjklm thanks very much for the response!

Turns out the guy managed to spread the threads at the end of shaft and get the nut on! so im chuffed and have spent the day riding! cost me £40 labour to fit the front + rear sprocket and chain and sort the front shaft. Cant complain

Thanks
No problem man...

I guess £40 is not too bad for what had to be done to get all that stuff on the bike. Must have only taken about 1 hour. If it would have been longer I would really be surprised. I'm NOT a mechanic and it really didn't take me much more than that to do the job (with a friends help of course)

Does anyone know what socket size the nut is? And also if i am just replacing the front sprocket do i need a new nut or washer? or can i just put locktite on it?

BrandX is right 32, same size as the rear axle nut. I wouldn't say that you need a new Nut unless yours is beat up. But I would MOST DEFINATELY replace the crush washer. I also think that Loctite (blue) is a MUST, but I don't think impact is a must. I used a torque wrench for mine, the specs are in the book, but if I were to guess I think it is to be tightened either 78 or 82 FT LBS of torque. I didn't was to over do it with the impact.

#34 ·
Does anyone know what socket size the nut is? And also if i am just replacing the front sprocket do i need a new nut or washer? or can i just put locktite on it?

#35 ·
iirc its a 32mm (be sure to check the serv manual)and yeah you need to replace the washer and locktite. also, use a impact wrench as stated in earlier threads so it won't back off. mine was locktited, and the washer bent over the nut and it still managed to work its way off. i used an impact wrench this last replacement and so far so good.

#38 ·
Same just happened to my 05 R6.
I've read most of this thread, but dont think I saw any recommendations on where to order the screw/nut.
I looked on http://www.yamahapartshouse.com but didnt find it. :dunce:

Any hints on a site to order it from ?

#39 ·
Go to your dealership and order part numbers

90215-21290-00 washer nut, lock.

And

90179-18667-00 nut

If you go to yamaha-motors dot com and then to sport then parts and accessories. choose your year (2005) and your bike (yzfr6). then choose transmission, and look down the parts list at items 34 and 35, THOSE are exactly what you need.

But, I've already given you the parts numbers that you need, so you don't have to look it up, BUT I would look at it and know how to get to it in case your parts guy is a numb skull.

When you get the new nut and washer, use some blue loctite on it so it doesn't happen again bro

#41 ·
If u take your bike to the dealer they will do it for you there is a technical service bulletin out for this and Yamaha will cover cost of replacing the nut and washer I just had this happen to me yesterday.

Sent from outta space!

#42 ·
I think this just happened to me... getting onto the highway on ramp, I heard a rattly sound and lost all power. It seemed like it was shifting in/out of gear fine, and the speedo said I was moving... but I wasn't.

Oddly enough, I had heard that same sound a couple times over the last few days when going around turns, but it always went away as soon as I'd try to listen to what it was, so I figured maybe it was my keys rattling.

And thanks to the CBR rider that stopped to help... unfortunately there really wasn't anything we could do there. Oh, and the State Police Motorist Assistance guy that dropped off some flares, and a Harley rider (driving his SUV) checking if I needed help. I had my roommate bring my truck and we loaded it up and hauled it home.

Now I just gotta make sure this is the problem, and go to the Yamaha dealership to see if they'll fix it under the recall, or give me free parts and let me do it myself.

DogP

#43 ·
I broke all the teeth off my front sprocket.

Dump clutch wheelie time!!!

#44 ·
I pulled the fairing and sprocket cover, and yep... the nut and washer were completely missing. I called a few dealerships... a couple of them didn't have the recall kit in stock, so they'd have to order it, and wouldn't sell it to me (required them to install it). The last one I called had the kit in stock, and would sell it to me for ~$8, or install it for free. For $8, it definitely wasn't worth loading my bike into my truck to haul it to the dealership.

The kit with the nut and washer is Yamaha part # 90891-10124.

Now I'd like to verify how to install this, and document it for others. The service manual isn't very detailed on these steps, and the lock washer looks to be different.

First of all, can you verify that the sprocket is the right way? I always read that the text should be facing out, but either this sprocket has no text, or I can't read it through the grime (I tried cleaning, but still didn't see text on either side). I'm almost positive it was previously on with the flat side to toward the engine, but someone else installed this sprocket, so I always like to check others' work.

The nut has one side cupped, and the other that's flat... the cupped side goes toward the engine, right?

The washer goes on with the bent ears facing away from the engine, and the nut over that? When installing, I've read that people recommend using blue loctite on the threads, and the service manual says to torque to 65 ft-lbs. I've also read people recommending to use an impact gun to tighten. I plan to use my impact gun with a 65 ft-lb torque stick, and verify with a torque wrench.

Then you bend the ears down against the nut to keep it from loosening? I assume a small hammer is fine? Here's a pic I found of someone's front sprocket on an FZ6 I believe.

And a picture of the bag for the kit, just because:

Please let me know if this looks/sounds right, or if there's anything I've got wrong. I'd like to get this back together ASAP, but I don't want to screw it up and have to redo it.

DogP

Attachments

#45 ·
Yea. You did it right.

#47 ·
Cool... thanks. I got it all put back together, cleaned/lubed my chain, and it rides SO smooth. Though it might feel that way because I rode my friend's GSXR yesterday. :nono

So I didn't break all the teeth off my shit. Nut and washer came off at the spot. Luckily, found that shit the next day. Re-installed and good to go.
Nice... I wish I knew where these parts fell off, but I think they were missing for at least a few days, since I had heard that rattling sound before.

DogP

#46 ·
So I didn't break all the teeth off my shit. Nut and washer came off at the spot. Luckily, found that shit the next day. Re-installed and good to go.

#48 ·
I put the cupped side OUT with the flat side against the lock washer when I did my sprocket change. I haven't looked at the sprocket nut on the r1 yet, but I will when I get home to make sure that the one on the r6 is correct.

#50 ·
Yep... I looked at my R1 and noticed the same thing. You've put the nut on backwards dude. it will have much more "grab/hold" on the driveshaft if you turn it around.

And yes. Please for your own sake put some blue loc tite on that bish.

#52 · (Edited)
pm to you mansell19 123

Sprocket Nut and Washer can be purchased from the Dealership in your general area.

Here are the part numbers from Yamaha-motors dot com

90215-21290-00 LOCK WASHER
90179-18006-00 NUT

I'm not sure of the price, as it didn't give me one, but these are the parts and part numbers that you need. I cant imagine it costing more than 10 GBP.

If you need direction on "where to find them" on the yamaha motors website, let me know and I'll give you a play by play to track em down. I've used that parts catalog MANY times before walking into the dealership to order parts because most parts guys don't really have a clue on what they're doing or how to find the shyt that you REALLY need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.