Question regarding cat removal. - Page 3 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 03:41 PM
zomething different
 
r3x1mu5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 8,430
Bike: 07 R6s
Re: Question regarding cat removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoss_11 View Post
Wrong the oem headers primaries are smaller than aftermarket headers and the bends are different coming off the head as well.

I ask you this. you have a r6s correct. So if you buy a slip on do you need some form of fuel manageament? ie pc3 pc5 bazz etc
i believe i would be runnin lean, so yes.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...if i don't make it home today, god bless. dot cheers
r3x1mu5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 04:04 PM
I eat my R6
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 730
Re: Question regarding cat removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3x1mu5 View Post
i believe i would be runnin lean, so yes.
lol thats funny for the sake of winning an argument you cant even tell the truth
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pm me
kaoss_11 is offline  
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Got street appeal?
 
shnormo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,656
Bike: '04 and '07 R6
Images: 1
Send a message via AIM to shnormo
Re: Question regarding cat removal.

Your bike was mapped at the factory to compromise performance to meet emission and sound laws and regulation. Yes the bike will run with a full exhaust, slip on, what have you with out a PCIII. You don't ABSOLUTELY need it, but it will not be up to its full potential.

A 100% stock bike straight off the show room floor will benefit from a fuel management system. Look at the Power Commander maps, there is a map with different values for a stock bike. The bike runs lean from the factory to meet emissions.
shnormo is offline  
 
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 04:41 PM
iRun
 
pickpocket293's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Land of rain and micro-brews.
Posts: 33,316
Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed
Re: Question regarding cat removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoss_11 View Post
in all my years of modding and racing bikes and cars I have never once in my life heard of ill effects from a slip on running w/ a stock header. Correct me if im wrong. Im not here to argue just have a friendly discussion.

so if one bought the mjs and the mjs exhaust your saying they would need a pc for that as well?

Because what I get from what your saying is that the bikes were mapped for stock systems from the factory(obviously no argument there) so that means we would need power commanders for just slip ons then, if what your saying is true. So if what your saying is true than anyone with a slip on essentially needs some form of fuel management? And this is where I disagree.
This is why you see a lot of maps for the 2nd gen R6 with slip-ons..

The 2nd gen has no cat and no honeycombed headers so putting a slip-on on affects the a/f ratio fairly significantly (you can get away with it.. but it's not recommended).

The 3rd gen has the honeycombs and cat built in, so if you ONLY swap out the can, there's not enough change in the system overall to warrant a fuel management system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3x1mu5 View Post
dude, he is essentially getting a full system. modified headers with no cat + slip-on exhaust is pretty close to a full system.

if he was just getting a slip on, then there is no need to get a pcv or bazzaz unit.

edit: correct me if i'm wrong
See above


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • How does rotating mass work?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pickpocket293 is offline  
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Got street appeal?
 
shnormo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,656
Bike: '04 and '07 R6
Images: 1
Send a message via AIM to shnormo
Re: Question regarding cat removal.

"The 3rd gen has the honeycombs and cat built in, so if you ONLY swap out the can, there's not enough change in the system overall to warrant a fuel management system."

3rd gens run lean too from the factory. Not to mention, most slip on systems remove the Exup valve changing the characteristics of back pressure. So there is a significant change.

Any change will alter your air fuel ratio. It comes down to how much do you care about your air fuel ratio being 14.7:1 Running lean, runs hotter, less life. Running rich, fowling out plugs, clogging said catalytic converter, fouling 02 sensors and excessive carbon build up on the engine internals.

Last edited by shnormo; 02-02-2010 at 04:54 PM.
shnormo is offline  
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Got street appeal?
 
shnormo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,656
Bike: '04 and '07 R6
Images: 1
Send a message via AIM to shnormo
Re: Question regarding cat removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouthsoulja View Post
I just put my 09 R6 in the shop for a custom exhaust installation. We removed the stock exhaust and the bike sounds exactly the same without it cause of that stupid cat. I was told that if I got the cat cut out and a y pipe installed i would need to get a power commander and have it dynoed. My question is this. Would it hurt to run the bike after installation of the new exhaust before getting the power commander or having it dynoed?
Back to the original post, depends on how long and how you run it for dictates IF and to what extent the damage is. Get a fuel management system A.S.A.P!!!
shnormo is offline  
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 05:23 PM
I eat my R6
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 730
Re: Question regarding cat removal.

i think some of you missed my point. I know everything you guys are saying is true and correct but I never understood the argument that "whats good for one is bad for another"

pm me
kaoss_11 is offline  
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 05:28 PM
190rwhp......:eek5
 
jwxfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 10,296
Bike: 2011 S1000RR, 97 CR500
Send a message via Yahoo to jwxfd
Re: Question regarding cat removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoss_11 View Post
i think some of you missed my point. I know everything you guys are saying is true and correct but I never understood the argument that "whats good for one is bad for another"
Because the 03-05 and 06-09s models come stock "mapped" without a cat. The 06-10 R6R models come with a cat and honey comb headers, therefore "mapped" for said restrictions. As soon as one removes the cat and honeycombs, the stock mapping gets completely construed, thus causing the motor to run even more lean than from the factory. I.E, ya need to get some type of A/F management system...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


On the 03-05 and 06-09s models....no cat....the stock mapping can be used (with very minimal ill effect) when changing around the exhaust system...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sig courtesy of the man himself: GIjoe007



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jwxfd is offline  
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Just a dumb racer..
 
rich0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 792
Bike: Supersport R6
Re: Question regarding cat removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoss_11 View Post
i think some of you missed my point. I know everything you guys are saying is true and correct but I never understood the argument that "whats good for one is bad for another"
What you're totally failing to realise is that stock FOR ANOTHER BIKE is not stock for THIS bike.

Saying that an 03 set of headers are still OEM headers and therefore don't need a map is retarded, they're very different to 06 headers, and therefore need different engine management.
rich0 is offline  
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 06:13 PM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
 
8Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: East TN
Posts: 5,460
Bike: '03 R6, XR400, V-Star
Re: Question regarding cat removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoss_11 View Post
i think some of you missed my point. I know everything you guys are saying is true and correct but I never understood the argument that "whats good for one is bad for another"
You are comparing apples and oranges. Changing an 06+ header to the 03-05 header reduces back pressure and fueling much more than just a slip on. There are more variables in the equation than just the header. The 05 header is close to adding a full system to the 06+. Yes, a full system would flow even more, but the change in exhaust restriction is still significant.

Most of the backpressure in the R6S exhaust is created by the MUFFLER. When you put a slip on on a R6S, they don't run quite right without re-mapping. But the change in restriction isn't so drastic that you absolutely HAVE to add a PCIII.

Most of the back pressure in the 06+ exhaust is in the CAT. Putting on a slip-on, doesn't reduce the back pressure much, and not enought that the crude O2 sensor can't compensate. But replacing the header (along with the cat) does affect it quite a bit. And the stock narrow band O2 sensor (which the ECU still thinks is after cat) can't keep up. The R6S has no O2 sensor (which is another variable).

The two systems are very different. Just because they both say "R6" doesn't make them the same.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
8Ball is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear set removal question r3x1mu5 General Discussions 1 07-13-2009 04:17 PM
Not a tire question but a wheel question rtitle Tire Tech Talk 2 07-06-2009 07:48 PM
emmissions control removal question da man Exhaust and fuel delivery 1 08-01-2008 05:00 AM
tire traction question Nate9982 General Discussions 10 10-21-2005 10:03 AM
520 conversion - DUMB QUESTION Tommy2003R6 General Discussions 3 07-08-2005 10:46 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome