Question regarding cat removal. - Page 4 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:23 PM
I eat my R6

Re: Question regarding cat removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges. Changing an 06+ header to the 03-05 header reduces back pressure and fueling much more than just a slip on. There are more variables in the equation than just the header. The 05 header is close to adding a full system to the 06+. Yes, a full system would flow even more, but the change in exhaust restriction is still significant.

Most of the backpressure in the R6S exhaust is created by the MUFFLER. When you put a slip on on a R6S, they don't run quite right without re-mapping. But the change in restriction isn't so drastic that you absolutely HAVE to add a PCIII.

Most of the back pressure in the 06+ exhaust is in the CAT. Putting on a slip-on, doesn't reduce the back pressure much, and not enought that the crude O2 sensor can't compensate. But replacing the header (along with the cat) does affect it quite a bit. And the stock narrow band O2 sensor (which the ECU still thinks is after cat) can't keep up. The R6S has no O2 sensor (which is another variable).

The two systems are very different. Just because they both say "R6" doesn't make them the same.
for the 03-05 and 06+ r6s of course you need fuel mgnt for the simple reason of no o2 sensor. has anyone hooked a wideband to the mjs header to even see what the a/f was or is.

pm me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Just a dumb racer..

Bike: Supersport R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoss_11 View Post
for the 03-05 and 06+ r6s of course you need fuel mgnt for the simple reason of no o2 sensor. has anyone hooked a wideband to the mjs header to even see what the a/f was or is.
Kudos on totally ignoring the point.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 PM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, V-Star

The stock ECU doesn't know what to do with the feedback from a wideband O2 sensor. It reqiures a module like...oh I don't know...the Dynojet AutoTune to interface with it, but the AutoTune doesn't interface with the ECU directly. It communicates with a Powercommander. So your back to the remap. This setup just does it automaically.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 PM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, V-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoss_11 View Post
When I referred to the 06+, I was NOT referring to the R6S. Iwas referring to the R6V, which is the bike that people do the '05 header mod to. There is little difference between the '03-'05 R6 and the '06-'09 R6S. (fuel management-wise)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:54 PM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich0 View Post
Kudos on totally ignoring the point.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
No shit.. I'm done with this thread.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 PM
DynoMike

Bike: 2006 R6 50th
Send a message via Yahoo to DynoMikeR

Hahahahaha. The big so called cat under these bikes is the MUFFLER! Like an automotive style, the slip on everybody refers too, is like an exhaust tip. The actual "cat" part is in the the two pipes in between the Muffler and the 4 main header pipes. Trust me, i have dissected my stock exhaust all apart to see what was going on. The cat is a honey comb, and it flows straight though. You can shine a flashlight in it and see right though it. But has a ton of surface area that stays crazy hot to burn any unburnt fuel that comes out of the combustion chamber, for emissions reasons. The big restriction is in the muffler, the big box under the bike. Take some time to cut shit apart and see whats going, so you better understand things. Im currently running an 05 header and Late model GYTR muffler. And yes it acts like a muffler. It has perforated core with packing. The stock slip on is straight though, basically no packing, and only a few perforations for tone, and the EX up valve. Like a valved exhaust tip. LOL! Yamaha has to meet strict epa standards for pollution and noise but still have good performance too. But we all like our bikes loud! Including me! Im sure ill hear all kinds of good comments back on this. HAhahahaha! Have fun with it.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 09 R6 Team fiat #46

i put a full Graves on my 09 and did not spend the money for the pc5 at first (Titanium header turned blue in less then 500 miles) so if u wont to get rid of the cat u will need a pc5 or your bike will run to lean its the best thing i've done to my bike so far
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 09 R6

Alright. So my bike is done. Muffler was cutout completely, o2 sensor reinstalled, its been rainin all day so i wont be able to pick up the bike until tomorrow. I did however head down to the shop to check it out and was able to snap some shots and get a vid from my phone. Yes, i said phone so audio is not that great but you get the idea. Once I get her home tomorrow I will take better pics and get a better vid. she hasnt been dyno'd yet, but thats comin.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:F U
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 04:29 AM
My R6 eats me.

Still lost on what exhaust he has..years later
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 06:16 AM
My 09 R6

Bike: 2009 YAMAHA R6

No, it won't hurt at all... i had the same thing done on my 2009 R6 and it runs perfect and actually I'm going to a track day even before the power commander. But its true that we gonna need to install the power commander on our bike!

FAB13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.