R6 FAQ, Fuel Controllers, Exhaust, Maps - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Re: R6 FAQ, Fuel Controllers, Exhaust, Maps

Changing the slip-on will remove the EXUP.

I have the GYTR, I like the sound of it, it's hard to get a "deeper rumble" out of a 600.

Just realize even just removing the muffler you will still be running leaner, and you may still find dead spots in the RPM band without a fuel controller, especially when removing the EXUP system.

07 R6, MJS Header, GYTR slip on, smog block offs, K&N, flashed ECU, PCV, AutoTune, -1/+2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 09 orange R6

So any modification to the exhaust requires a fuel management system, whether it's just changing the slip-on or a full exhaust.
Then what do i need to do if or buy if i want to install a GYTR slip-on
post #13 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 11:12 PM
I eat tacos.

Bike: 2008 R6

Well you can keep your stock slip-on and save money by making it so the exup is open all the time. I have done this to my 08 with no ill effects. And it is slightly louder at lower rpms. I will say that it does run a tad leaner and therefore pops a little when you rev it to about 8K and let it go back down to idle, but it is not bad enough to worry.

2008 R6 SE Yellow/Black
Motovation Frame Sliders, L-P Flush Mounts, Integrated tail, fender eliminator. SOLD!!!
But I am saving up to get an 09 or newer R1. So beware!! Haha.
R.I.P. BallistiK

post #14 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 11:27 PM
WATCHOUT...I'll be back

Bike: '07 Candy Red
Nice write up. I'm looking into getting a fuel management pretty soon and this will give me some ideas which route I will go with.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by melik View Post
So any modification to the exhaust requires a fuel management system, whether it's just changing the slip-on or a full exhaust.
Then what do i need to do if or buy if i want to install a GYTR slip-on
If you don't have a mid-pipe or header, you can install just a slip-on without a fuel controller, because you really aren't changing anything.

Doing pretty much any exhaust modifications will hurt low end power. The EXUP will help keep the low end power, hence the reason it was suggested to do a mid-pipe and keep the EXUP (factory slip on).

Maybe later today I'll try and get a writeup done about how the EXUP works? It keeps exhaust velocity up so you can keep the scavenging effect down low.

Running without a fuel controller (and exhaust) definitely isn't ideal, and it will run lean, and you'll have hi-cups in the RPM band as you accelerate. Some people live with it, most people eventually end up going with some sort of fuel controller to smooth it back out.

07 R6, MJS Header, GYTR slip on, smog block offs, K&N, flashed ECU, PCV, AutoTune, -1/+2.
post #16 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by save_HUTCH View Post
Well you can keep your stock slip-on and save money by making it so the exup is open all the time. I have done this to my 08 with no ill effects. And it is slightly louder at lower rpms. I will say that it does run a tad leaner and therefore pops a little when you rev it to about 8K and let it go back down to idle, but it is not bad enough to worry.
The EXUP is open when the throttle is WOT anyways, why would you disconnect it and reduce low end efficiency? Do you have a mid pipe or something?

post #17 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Updated a little, EXUP Explained Section, and Do I need a fuel controller.

Working on a few more Bazzaz maps now.

post #18 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:39 PM

Bike: 2010 r6 raven

Great write up here with plenty of usefull info. I'm planning on getting a mjs header this winter along with a fuel controller so i'm glad you posted this. Having a really hard time deciding between the bazzaz and power comander.

My Mods
Zero Gravity Corsa smoke windscreen, Motodynamic integrated smoked taillight, ebay 14LED flushmounts, Driven D3 grips and barends, Stompgrips, Akrapovic CF slip on, Vortex sliders and spools, Auctmarts shorty adjustable levers, -1 front sprocket, Uniquemotolights projectors with red/white halos, 12o'clock labs speedo DRD, and still growing....
post #19 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMtn-R6 View Post
Having a really hard time deciding between the bazzaz and power comander.
The PCV AutoTune making live changes is what tipped the scales for me. Both had minor advantages here and there, but that's what I would say the biggest difference was.

post #20 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:44 PM

Bike: 2010 r6 raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioYJ View Post
The PCV AutoTune making live changes is what tipped the scales for me. Both had minor advantages here and there, but that's what I would say the biggest difference was.
I actually didn't like this feature when I first started researching between the two, but think alot of that was due to alot of misinformation I read of poor performance of autotune. I was dead set of bazzaz with the z-afm mainly because it controls all eight injectors out of the box and I had to accept any change the controller made to my map. After more research think i'm starting to lean towards the PC with autotune even though ill have to purchase the secondary fuel contoller to be able to control all eight injectors.

My Mods
Zero Gravity Corsa smoke windscreen, Motodynamic integrated smoked taillight, ebay 14LED flushmounts, Driven D3 grips and barends, Stompgrips, Akrapovic CF slip on, Vortex sliders and spools, Auctmarts shorty adjustable levers, -1 front sprocket, Uniquemotolights projectors with red/white halos, 12o'clock labs speedo DRD, and still growing....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.