Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Anyone ever clean thier throttle bodies?

8K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  !!A2K!! 
#1 ·
Im thinking about doing it before I throw my rebuilt engine back in. These tbis have had over 40,xxx miles on em lol Want to get in and clean up the injectors if its worth it. ANy insight or pics anyone???

#2 ·
I've ran sea foam throttle body cleaner thru my bike. Made it smoke like a bitch for a lil but didn't really notice a difference

#4 ·
That I have not done.

#5 ·
Ive heard about the sea foam but if it didnt see a diff then im not gona do it lolol especially on a fresh motor

#6 ·
It seemed like it cleaned some carbon build up off but that's it. As far as performance I noticed nothing.

#7 ·
I have cleaned my tbs, its not that hard at all if they are off the bike. As for the injectors, I would suggest finding a place to have them professionally cleaned and flow matched if you can. I got it done locally for $60, but after a couple of seasons of race gas, I didnt have much choice...:laugh

#8 ·
Had a fuel delivery problem or in other words RPM was hesitating and would not go over 4.5K......Cleaned every part i can get my hands on that had to do with Fuel in the bike

Throttle Bodies , Fuel Header , Gas tank , fuel Pump , Lower and upper Injectors , put everything back together and i couldn`t be happier.

#12 · (Edited)
this tells you nothing other than they are not totally junk. But it won't tell you if the spray pattern is good, nor how much that injector flows per minute, let alone if all the injectors are flowing evenly. you can only find this out by putting the injectors on an ASNU machine (the one i have in the photo below) and flow testing them, off the bike..

Ive heard about the sea foam but if it didnt see a diff then im not gona do it lolol especially on a fresh motor
www.proflowtech.com this is the only way to KNOW your fuel injectors are flowing evenly, and the spray patterns have not deteriorated over the years. I have a "how to remove fuel injectors" for your bike on the site in the "articles" section.
let me know if you have questions. Seafoam and other stabilizers are good fuel stabilizers if your bike will sit for a couple months, but even then, with ethanol in today's gas you are taking chances.

Considering you have a NEW motor, this is by far the best time to ENSURE the fuel injectors are flowing evenly. Have one that is even 15% lean, and you could hurt the motor.

as some stated, a little carb cleaner or brake clean is all you need for the throttle bodies. if you pull them off all the way, there is a plastic cover on the cable side. I would brakeclean that area and hit it with a bit of wd40 or other non-sticky lube. they are sealed in every other way. your butterflys should not be "gummy" unless they sat a LONG time. I have a set that sat for a couple years, totally locked up and are now junk.
What i WOULD do, is spray a bunch of brake cleaner around the lower fuel injectors before you pull them out. there will likely be dirt/crud collected down there. The upper injectors are inside the air box cover so are well protected from elements, but can/do loose performance over the years from loss of flow rate.
ALL PUMP GAS has detergents in it, but fuel injectors can still loose flow rate from years of use. It's a varnishy buildup that forms inside that can only be removed ultrasonically. Liquid cleaners won't do it IF they have lost flow. Best think for fuel injected machines?? run them frequently, never having gas tanks of fuel for more than a month.

Here is what 08 r6 injector spray patterns should look like (lower injectors on left, uppers on the right). There is no way you know if this i what they look like, or are flowing evenly, while they are on the bike..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.