Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Flash-tune idle rpm settings ?

13K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  Chiragagarwal 
#1 ·
I know there is a 213 page thread on this just too much to I through. I know one guy on this forum was able to adjust it back to normal. Hoping someone will chime in and help me out.

Also anyone having the bike heat up extremely fast when they slow down or stop at a light. I understand at a Stand still with the high idle the bike will hear up faster but even just cruising at say 30-40 mph the temp is alot higher than normal.

Other than these 2 issue flash tune seems to be working great.

#3 ·
Who did your flash?

#4 ·
I've got over 100 people with the high idle. Dudes in Texas, Arizona, and extremely hot climates and nobody has these issues you have.

And yes, I can re-flash it with a 1500 RPM idle if you'd want to have it redone by me. Not sure who set you up before.

If anything maybe the bike is hella lean and that's making shit so hot.

#5 ·
Good info. Chief knew where I was going with my question. I would let Chief re-work it for you. He has great customer service and delivers on expectations.

#6 ·
yup.. Anthony is the flash miester ! lovin my ecu on track.

not that i need my idle lower Anthony, but are you able to get them lower than mine are now ? (2100 or so)

#7 ·
Yes definitely. With the newer software, we see 1500 RPM's on average. And now we can do per gear engine braking per RPM as well.

Get at me with an email and we can really fine tune the shit out of it now for you. And the interface is a bit more familiar to the YEC options as well. I've got a whole bunch of bikes on the newer version with great success.

I'd have to recreate the wheel, but I can really really tailor things to your needs even better now. I think you still have one of my spares. You have any more days planned this season?

Shoot me an email!

#8 ·
I have the flash tune interface flash it myself I know about tuning but the new software from flash tune has seemed to raise the idle. Can you send me the valise you use I the ext vs rpm so I can bring my idle back down to the stock setting

#12 ·
I don't share much. I've got years of time and effort and a small fortune into into this shit. When you make the same investment in time, money, dyno sessions, supporting racers, etc. You'll have created something of your own like I have. And I doubt you'd be looking to hand it out at that point either.

The old versions of the software enforce a 2k idle (V1.xxx). The new software doesn't V2.xxx.

And there's no reason to touch the ECT vs RPM table btw..

#16 ·
And I wasn't asking for you to send me every single one of your dynos or even any maps you have created, just some advice on getting my idle back to normal. Sorry thought this was a forum for riders and people to help each other out guess I was mistaken

#17 ·
And I wasn't asking for you to send me every single one of your dynos or even any maps you have created, just some advice on getting my idle back to normal. Sorry thought this was a forum for riders and people to help each other out guess I was mistaken
I have helped more people on this forum IRL and online that 95% of the members here. I already gave you the info you need to get the idle squared away. Don't take it personally as I'm the very first person to send flowers to a funeral or fund raise for fallen riders. I've put up so many how-to's and have proven time and time again a valuable asset to all riders on this forum. I answer 25-100 emails and text messages a day from members.

I've watched hundreds and hundreds of videos and critiqued riders and helped them achieve a new level of riding ability in countless cases. I put together 20+ track riders who have never been to the track in the past two years and helped them ALL with every crash, upgrade, tune, tweak and my boys move up FAST because of the support network I've created.

I've brought value to members saving them $ time and time again as well. So don't short change me on how much I help anyone. :fact

If you don't realize I've already lead you down the right path, what am I to say other than that?

#20 ·
Anytime bro. Lemme know how you make out with the new software. And always start with an OEM map first, then build from that. Don't use any of the out of the box garbage maps at all.

I'm all for hinits and tips man. Like I said tho, the new software has a good idle and will resolve your issues man.

But also, dude, like I said man, I've got a buttload of people on the high idle as it's preferred by me for fast rev matching and additional oil pressure and coolant flow too. And nobody has ever ever ever complained about heating too much, etc.. So that'll lead me to believe you're also running lean on top of it all.

Most dyno tunes are focused on WOT tuning and that's it. When the reality is you do most your riding NOT at WOT....

#23 ·
The only mod I added since the dyno was the graves/works velocity stacks, and 91+ pump gas flash, but I added the autotune at the same time as the vstacks ran that for about a week added trims to the custom tune, uploaded the new map to the Ecu put the pcv base map at all 0's and Gonna run auto tune for another week or so than add those trims to the Ecu and repeat as necessary, sound about right ?

#24 ·
Yea man. But the problem is you need to manually analyze that map to death. all the autotune maps are fcuking attrocious bro. You need to avoid abrupt changes from cell to cell and that's inevitable with the autotune modules.

Manually averaging the cells close to each other to achieve the average value is critical to a smooth map. The computer doesn't realize this. It just sees AFR and what % change is needed. I spend at least an hour smoothing those maps when they are sent to me.

#31 · (Edited)
So I checked and I do have version 2. Also the bike by just flashing it to the 91 + pump map idles between 1650-1800(had pcv and autotune hooked up) talked to jay ruschitti with ruschutti racing. so he says yes the temp will definantly rise faster when crusing around at low speeds bout 180f because with that flash you retard the timing which makes the bike run lean which is ok for now but suggests getting cams degreed which i already am. Also obviously because it idles higher the temp will rise faster when stopped. But as long as it goes down when you start riding which it does 158-165f at 40-50 + mph everything is ok. I have fan temps set to 195-205 and bike runs aweso honestly I actually kinda like the higher idle takes off very nice

#32 ·
Will be putting on graves adjustable cam sprockets and manual cam tensioner this week. Orient express will be degreeing the cams and also retuning the bike. Dyno, ignition timing everything. Also will be editing the Afr in the autotune so each rpm at each throttle position always tunes for performance.

#33 ·
So does anyone actually know what the purpose of the ECT vs RPM table is, or when exactly it comes into play?

I have a 2012 R1 and have been trying to track down information about this table without much luck. There doesn't seem to be much of a wealth of info about this.

My main motivation for looking into this is to try to find a way to remediate issues with cold starting in temps below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The colder it gets below 50, the harder it is to start. I can get it to fire from about 50 down to maybe 33 or so degrees by giving it various amounts of throttle while cranking it, but below that it will utterly not start. I just recently installed a Flashtune and have been toying with some of the tables in hopes of having the bike fire up easier in cold weather. I was hoping that a combination of adding 10-20% fuel increases in the first row in the MAP vs RPM table(to richen things up and counteract the denser air) while also increasing the values for the low RPM/Cold-temperature areas of the ECT vs RPM table (to mimic a varying degree of cracked throttle depending on coolant temperature) would help resolve this.

I'm just not sure if the ECT vs RPM table is even used at all while the bike is cranking (based purely on the RPMs of the crankshaft) or if it only comes into play only after the bike detects a situation that it perceives as an idle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.