Which muffler cannisters fit akrapovic midpipe - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2012 R6 50th WGP Edition
Which muffler cannisters fit akrapovic midpipe

Does anyone know if any other mufflers will fit over an akrapovic 4-2-1 full system mid pipe? (2012 model) Don't feel like spending 800$ on a akra replacement muffler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 06:32 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Re: Which muffler cannisters fit akrapovic midpipe

In for an answer as well. I put an akra full system on my track bike and lowsided at njmp on my second track weekend with the bike. I found out how annoying it is to even source a replacement let alone the price. lead time was over a month from akrapovic to any retailer in the US...Luckily i found a replacement on ebay new old stock and then a used spare that i bought to have on hand.Love The Akra but in retrospect it would be more feasible to go a different route for a track bike
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ516 View Post
In for an answer as well. I put an akra full system on my track bike and lowsided at njmp on my second track weekend with the bike. I found out how annoying it is to even source a replacement let alone the price. lead time was over a month from akrapovic to any retailer in the US...Luckily i found a replacement on ebay new old stock and then a used spare that i bought to have on hand.Love The Akra but in retrospect it would be more feasible to go a different route for a track bike

Yes, finding replacement parts for akra is a joke!!! What year is your bike? It seems there are quite a few parts out there for 06-09 but model year 10 and + are scarce. Mine is a '12 and even on riders discount's website they only claim to have the replacement clamps/full mufflers for up to year 09. Not sure if they would fit or not, always over cautious about these things. Anyways, love the system but not worth it trying to find parts!!!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 06:47 AM

To be honest. It was the most confusing process to try to figure out exactly what replacement muffler I needed. I contacted the main venders on this forum along with other retailers and they had to dig for info and get back to me and there was still some uncertainty as to exactly what muffler would fit. Have an 08 wth a stainless full race system and TI canister. Turned out my full system was actually one that Akrapovic offered with a "slip on" muffler. Most retailers didn't even know that was an option. The only difference after comparing numerous diagrams from akrapovic website and pictures online was that the regular race system has a muffler that uses 2 springs to attach to the collector pipe. And the "race system with slip on" the muffler uses one spring and a clamp and comes with optional baffle insert... the mufflers look identical so after all the frustrations I found a steal from ridersdiscount on a 06-07 new Akra muffler so I took a gamble and just ordered it and it fit just fine! I then found a dea on a used slightly scratched Akra for 08+ full system and it ALSO FITS... my belief at this point is that either 06-07 or 08+ will fit fine. But don't hold me to that.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 06:59 AM

Here's my bike with the 06-07 slip on.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And with the slip on that came with the full 08+ Race system

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

I've been in the exact situation. Thanks to your description and some diagrams, the two springs help me determine that I have the full race system (carbon shell). Did more searching today and finding the same one just isn't happening. I may just order an akra slip on and see if it works. It appears to fit fine in your pictures. Do you notice any power difference? Not that its a big deal considering all I really do is cruise around town. (Technically don't even know if the full race system is street/emissions legal lol)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Model's based on year don't really seem to matter. After comparing your pictures with mine though it does look like the lengths are a bit different.. I kinda like the shorter look anyways though. I'll post a picture later.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Its ugly I know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4268[5510739].JPG
Views:	40
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	318953  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:52 PM

There's no noticeable power loss with either pipe. I don't think there's a difference at all besides the lack of the spring loop on the slip on and the fact that it comes with the optional baffle
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 03:09 PM

Don't feel too bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.