Auto Tune problems - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Auto Tune problems

Before I email Power Commander i wanted to make a post here, because I'm afraid PC will tell me I have a defective Auto Tune, which would suck considering its already spliced in and installed. I have a 2008 R6 with a Graves full exhaust system and I'm running the Graves PC map. I installed an Auto Tune because my bike was running too rich. At first, everything is fine. The bike runs much better with the AT, and after getting my first trim it basically leans my A/F ratio out across the board, which is exactly what I needed. I'll apply my trim, and head out for another ride. At first everything is fine, the bike runs great. But all of a sudden I'll start having problems. The throttle response becomes choppy and horrible. Ill try to cruise at a low rpm with the throttle cracked open and my bike will start 'jumping' or cutting in and out sorta, like its trying to stall. My bike will not want to accelerate, Ill have to really twist the throttle to get it to go. Getting on and off the throttle is super choppy as well. There seems to be correlation between these problems and turning my bike on and off a few times. Like I said, at first things are fine. But lets say its like my 3rd time starting my bike since applying the trims - I decide to stop for gas or something. When I turn my bike back on, out of nowhere the problems begin. I've tried restarting by loading the original Graves map onto my PC again and that does work, but it will end in the same result. Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:42 AM
I eat my R6

Re: Auto Tune problems

Wait how many times are you applying trims?

I have a section on the AutoTune in my FAQ at the top, it's not long, but I would give it a quick once over (it won't take long).

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 R6, MJS Header, GYTR slip on, smog block offs, K&N, flashed ECU, PCV, AutoTune, -1/+2.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:30 AM
Just lean harder...

Bike: 07 R6s

Read through the above posted link and let me add that it is a good idea to put a switch on the autotuner so you can turn it on and off. The auto tune does not like choppy throttle inputs like ripping up corners going on and off the throttle fast. It likes smooth throttle input to actually auto tune. Do not have an AFR value in the 0% throttle column anywhere. I also simplified the AFR map to basically 13.2 across the board and 13.0 in the higher RPM's. Hope this helps.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 04:17 PM
I eat my R6

It still shouldn't behave like hes describing. My autotune has been on and active since installed years ago, and working perfectly. One of the advantages to DynoJets AutoTune is its live changes in my opinion. My map also has AFR targets that change throughout the RPM band and in the 0% throttle.

07 R6, MJS Header, GYTR slip on, smog block offs, K&N, flashed ECU, PCV, AutoTune, -1/+2.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 04:19 PM
I eat my R6

OP can you post your map?

Does the bike sound noticeable different like its missing when this happens?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

I'll apply my trims 1 time, and it will happen on the subsequent ride. It will be fine at first, but after i turn the bike off and on about 3 times it will all the sudden begin having the problems I described. Maybe It's just coincidence, but both times it happened immediately after turning my bike on after stopping somewhere, and persisted until I got back home.

I believe I reloaded the original map last time I had my bike out, but we are getting some nice weather at the end of the week and ill try to get out then and get a trim for you. Also, there doesnt seem to be any noticeable difference in sound
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

AFR values is actually one the culprits I think could be possibly responsible. I cant remember if I have AFR in the 0% column, but i know i have an AFR value in basically every cell, including rpm's at idle and even below idle. It was that way by default. I watched a video by dynojet and they suggested not having AFR set at all at 2% throttle, and not until around 6k rpm's at 5% throttle. Do you think that could have something to do with it?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 03:52 PM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 Camo/Orange

Random thought, what if the 02 sensor was going bad? Because if the O2 is giving false readings and your accepting the trims that could throw your maps way off.

Do you have a shop close to you with a dyno and able to read a/f ratios? If they do you can compare what your a/f reading on the pcV software to theirs and see if they are the same.

March 2014 Bike of the month

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And yes that is all duct tape LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:31 PM
I eat my R6

I once had an issue that turned out to be firmware related with the PCV, but it was turning off the injectors. The bike would run horribly though obviously. It was only turning off two of the four that it controls.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.