2009 R6S idle issues after 2Bros slip-on - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

2009 R6S idle issues after 2Bros slip-on

New here and really hoping some experts can help out with the issue i've been having after installing a Two Brothers Slip-on exhaust on my 2009 R6S.

Even when the bike is fully warmed up, the idle keeps going from 1000-1500. From what i've gathered this is common after installing an exhaust system, or even slip-on.

To correct this, i've purchased a Power Commander V to adjust the air/fuel ratio, and also a K&N air filter so I do not have to re-open up the bike a 2nd time to install the air filter.

From what i've read on this forum, it seems the maps available on the powercommander website will not address the idle issue, as they do not add enough fuel in the low rpm range(?).

Would someone please let me know roughly which values I should use, or how else to correct this idle issue?

I've also read that the idle screw might need adjusting; should I do this?

Not being able to ride in a nice weather day like today and having my bike have this idle problem is causing major anxiety, so any help would be deeply appreciated!!

Jeff/Reno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Re: 2009 R6S idle issues after 2Bros slip-on

I forgot to mention, the bike runs well when actually riding it, no stalls, power surges, or anything weird like that.

It's just the idle thats the problem :l

Jeff
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 03:01 PM
I eat my R6

Bring the bike to be dyno tuned

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

I've heard riding the bike in this condition could be harmful to the engine, so the cost of a tow+dyno would likely exceed $1000.

Is this really ideal? Especially, given I do not have all of the other components necessary for a successful tune. Wouldn't I need to also have new spark plug, fuel injection stuff (?), and everything else to get the most out of a dyno tune?

I am not really ready to go full track spec yet, so I think I should hold off on the dyno tune until then? Would love to hear others thoughts.

Jeff
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 08 Blue R6, Red 03 (sold)

You can attempt to adjust the idle with the screw, heres a link in case you're unfamiliar:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best case would be to have it tuned - you'd be alright to ride it over to get it tuned...the engine damage wont be something that is "immediate". Most likely running lean with the new pipe and lack of back pressure.

When i did the LOR on my bike i was having some wicked idle issues and then got a silencer put in it which fixed it (i eventually had it tuned)

Dyno tune was probably the best mod i ever did to my bike (especially after all the other mods were done)

Before you get the tune done, just make sure you're done with everything that will impact the A/F...no use tuning it perfect just to fck it up again with a new a/f mod (velocity stacks, headers, block offs, etc). Also, if you're going to tune it, make sure block offs are part of your mod list - they help provide a more precise tune.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike:
2008 Yamaha R6 - Full Graves system, KN filter, PCV with Autotune, Agg block offs, Bauce ECU, Ohlins damper, Shermoto levers, Vortex rearsets, flush fronts, integrated rear, Zero Gravity screen, black passenger pegs, LP sliders, LP spools, and more to come.

Cage:
2012 Nissan Frontier King Pro-4X

Sold:
2003 Yamaha R6 - LOR Exhaust, PC3, Velocity Stacks, Block offs, BMC Race, Custom Tune, 520 15/50, Speedohealer, Spiegler brake lines front and rear, Custom paint, Custom wheels, Smoked flush fronts, Smoked integrated rear, Zero Gravity screen, Shorty levers, Driven grips, Powdercoated rearsets and pegs, sliders, spool, and probably more I'm missing
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Thanks, Owen, and I definitely agree a dyno tune is the ultimate mod. However, i'm nowhere near the stage of having everything else in place to be ready for the tune. I'm not even sure what other mods I'll be using except for the K&N, 2Bros slip-on, and PCV.

The other reason I am looking to self-tune vs. dyno at this point, is I'm only interested in changing the amount of fuel at idle RPMs, so I was wondering if I could just adjust those values myself and try increasing the fuel at 0% throttle. Could this work?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:45 PM
I eat my R6

A dyno usually cost around 250.00. After you add more parts to the bike, you only need to adjust the map. The person that tunes it usually charges 50.00 to make small changes after a full tune

Sent from
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Unfortunately, that's nowhere near the prices I was quoted today. I was told 500 to start and then a fixed amount per run, so $550-$1000.

It's very frustrating DynoJet would sell a product, advertising:

"Dynojet offers a large database of free, downloadable maps for many combinations of motorcycles and aftermarket parts.
If an available map does not suit your specific needs, a custom map can be built from the ground up with the aid of a Dyno. "

It should be made clear the "free, downloadable maps" will likely be worse than stock and a $500-1000 Dynotune or Autotuner will be required to gain any benefits of this product.

I really feel mislead by Dynojet.

To be clear, I wasn't expecting track-perfect ultimate tunes from the free maps, but better than stock would have been nice.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 05:31 AM
I eat my R6

Where r u located. Ive taken my bikes to multiple dynos around my area. The most I've paid was 350.00

Sent from
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

near chicago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.