Do Bends Effect Power.. - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:01 PM

Bike: 03 Silver R6
Send a message via AIM to imbobdole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent4573
It's called head loss. Yes it effects the flow by increasing the pressure in the system needed to push the exhaust out at a certain speed, but because of the relatively low reynolds number of your exhaust gas flow, mandral bent tubing probably won't effect power output to a noticable amount. So your both right.
and I thought III brought it back from the dead..
the topic wasn't how much it affects it, it was whether it affects it at all.. and it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 07:20 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 04 R6
Send a message via Yahoo to donnys04r6
Re: Do Bends Effect Power..

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobdole
I can't help but partially disagree with the above statement, although it is a little old. First off, I'm relatively new to motorcycles but not even close to new with engines. The analogy to the hose shooting out water isn't the best for a couple reasons:
1-If you really want to use water as a comparison, then time it from when you turn the hose on with it empty until your jug is full with both, you'll notice that it in fact does take longer for the water to reach the end of the hose. The fact is, when you have the hose on full blast with a constant pressure, a constant amount of water will be exiting regardless; water cannot expand nor compress such as gases can. Once the pressure is established it will flow out of the hose at a constant rate as long as the loops in the pipe do not effect the diameter of it, so that much is correct. The fact is, with an exhaust system you do not have a constant flow; you have individual cylinders firing, meaning that, despite that they're firing VERY rapidly and may seem like it's a constant flow, it is not. Not to mention that gases do not flow like liquids anyway. Water and exhaust flow are like comparing apples and oranges.

2-Even when bends do not affect pipe radius, they still CAN cause a performance issue, albeit a small one in this case. But since we're talking technical terms, they do affect the performance. With a completely straight pipe, the exhaust is being shot out and, in a perfect world, is not hitting anything at all. (Read:no restrictions) The fact of the matter is that when you have a bend in the pipe, it is hitting the wall at an oblique angle. When the exhaust hits that wall, it causes a restriction, and herego a detraction from overall performance.

All in all, the short answer actually is YES. The bends can case a detraction in performance, although it may actually be a small one. I'm not just blowing smoke here; I'm a Physics major. I personally have performed experiments similar to this and found results accordingly. Sorry for the lengthy response, but I can't think of another way to say it in lesser words. Happy holidays to everyone
+1
My buddy is an auto mechanic and the hose is def a bad example. Exhaust flows in a spiral, bends are bad because it disturbs the the flow, but it really doesnt make a huge difference.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Atom Smasher

Bike: 2007 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobdole
I can't help but partially disagree with the above statement.....
I work with Nuclear steam generators & have a very good understanding of how gases/vapours flow and am 100% in agreement with bobdole.

We put bends/radius in steam piping to slow down flow.

But I think you would probably have a hard time measuring the power loss in a straight pipe vs. a pipe with bends, provided they are of the same length and volume, assuming no ovality occures during the bending process.

Because Blue is Faster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 r6
harris racing gel grips, shogun frame sliders bar ends & swingarm spools, braking wave rotors, galfer stainless lines, galfer HH pads, yamaha seat cowl, hotbodies undertail, proton flushmounts, magknight tankbra, driven sprockets -1+2, DID erv3 520 chain, speedohealer, shorty Pazzo Levers, Sato rearsets, harris technaflow windscreen, Full Micron Serpent, PCIII, Piper cross air filter, Woodcraft case covers

Last edited by b.burton; 06-07-2007 at 07:47 PM.

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:13 AM
I eat my R6

anyone wanna explain on another exhaust tpoic of flow etc regarding taper in the pipework? I'd think that would have more effect on performance than bends done correctly???
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 05:59 PM
You scratched it!

Bike: 07 r6 charcoal

I heard the less bends the better,( according to street tunner, hot rod mags.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Sexy Time

Bike: CBR1000RR 08

I heard that if you mix your fuel with lighter fluid and worcestershire sauce and bend your pipes conversly to x=y*x^Z/c+EMc^2 that you will gain maximum bhp or cause the universe to implode, i forget which one though.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 01:16 PM
I eat my R6

Send a message via AIM to 38329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Try this test at home. Take a hose pipe and turn on the tap a set amount - say one turn. Time it a few seconds with the pipe dead straight and see how much water ends up in a measuring jug. Then gently loop the pipe, even in a complete circle and do the same again. If you are accurate you will ene dup with exactly the same amount of water each time. Exhaust gas is just the same...
Wait so a highly compressible gas is the same as a liquid, which is incompressible?

You need to take a basic fluid mechanics course.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 08:54 PM
My R6 eats Chuck Norris

Bike: '02
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Stoliguy

We all ride Yamaha's, right?

Anyone care to do a history lesson on what got this company started?

The TUNING FORKS have a lot to do with Saxophones, and Saxophones share a bit in common with exhaust. That horn ain't straight.

My point? Bends can be good... Its not all about getting rid of the most all at once... its about tuning, and not just for sound... Yammie does this on purpose, guys.. great power at peak does NOT equal good racing. SMOOTH power does, and bends can help that (if done right). Physics of fluid/gas/sound movement do not explain this alone. This needs to be coupled with the characteristics of your motor (which can be changed with INTAKE, another bendy pipe.)

No Black/White answer here, I'm afraid... it's a bike by bike thing depending on your choices of what you change.

Godspeed Peter Lenz, Godspeed Super Sic. You will both be missed.
"To see what is right and not do it is want of courage"
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
My R6 eats me.

it is a simple answer as long as the bends radius does not change.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 06:35 PM
My R6 eats me.

IMBOBDOLE...excellent, simple answer using the laws of physics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.