Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2002 Idle help.

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  reignstorm 
#1 ·
So my 2002 R6 seems to not be able to idle stably. I get it set to about 1,200 RPM's with the idle adjustment knob. Then as soon as I twist the throttle it revs up and stays around 4 grand. I then have to turn the Idle knob down to get the RPM's to drop back down to idle speed. But then I can twist the throttle and it goes right back to 4-3 grand and stays there till I twist the Idle adjustment back down again. It eventually gets to where my idle knob is turned all the way down so the bike either wont idle at all or it revs up too high as soon as the throttle is touched. The idle speed only stays stable when the throttle is not touched (I know that sounds stupid). It was doing the same thing before I did the re-build so I am running sea foam through the tank to hopefully clean gummed up areas in the carbs. Any ideas what might be causing this problem?

#4 · (Edited)
I had a similar problem when i did my 02's engine swap. I found the throttle cables were sticking, when i revved the engine.

How i fixed:

back off the engine idle nob untill i found 800-1000 rpm.
took off throttle cables, lubed with kl-77 lubricant ( industrial long lasting wd40 type stuff) and backed off adj nuts
reinstalled cables and adjusted until a quick snap of the wrist with quick release set the throttle back to idle,

second problem i had was: vacuum leaks, causing the engine to bog down, run like crapola.

If you're carb's throttle rail or throttle cables were to be sticking. Now that would def keep the rpm up. More fuel more Rpm!

Sounds like Reignstorm is on the right track with sync carbs, If you rebuilt carbs and they're sticking, has to be something with the sync of the carbs or the throttle cable itself.

Hope this can help further your diagnosis.

#5 ·
I have not touched the carbs yet. It is having tons of backfires when running. I installed a K&N air filter and took 6 inches off a LeoVince Slip-On exhaust system (pic below). I am betting the carbs just need to be re-jetted to accommodate the change in air flow. I also think it is just running super lean causing the backfires and sustained high revving. Hopefully the dynojet kit I ordered will settle the engine down.

#6 ·
Yes, you will almost certainly need a jet kit for those mods. I know with GSXR's when you added the K&N filter AND the exhaust it leans the system out pretty bad.

If I was you I'd definitly get the jet kit, while it's apart clean the carbs ports really well (since you have it apart already) and then sync the carbs. I'm going to bet that clears up your issues.

:cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.