Ram Air Effect - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 08:55 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 04 R6 Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho C
So how does an FI R6 know how much air is going into the engine? There is no pressure sensor, only temp and RMP sensors that tell it how much SHOULD be going in. I have a limited understanding of FI but I would think simply upping the pressure would lean it out without remaping (say if you added a turbo). Vacuum system?
there is an atmospheric sensor under the seat, but if or how it can calculate the ram air effect is anyones guess.. i assume the ecu map is programmed based on yamaha's research knowing how much ram effect per road speed. i say this assumming the speed input for the speedo is also used on the ECU.

Injection technically will deliver more power at any given moment than a carburettor will, but it will only be as efficient as the ecu programming makes it. afterall, the ECU takes readings from all the sensors lots of times per second..EVERY SECOND and then decides how much fuel to inject and when to make it spark. Cleaver Stuff really.

1975 RL-250
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1979 TS-185
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 4LO

2004 5SL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 09:08 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 04 R6 Blue
I just been through the manual to find it has lots more sensors than i ever thought!!

(ya learn something everyday)
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1975 RL-250

1979 TS-185

1982 4LO

2004 5SL

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Race ready 06R6

Bike: 06R6
There is a pressure sensor, it senses the manifold pressure which will in effect measure the ram air effect on the engine side of the throttle bodies. Yamaha is not quite so scientific though, they've got a ram air enrichment curve based on rear wheel speed, reason the bikes usually look rich on the dyno. The race kit ECU has an adjustment to change the ram air enrichment which allows you to match the ram air enrichment to actual speeds due to gearing changes or turn it off if you choose to remove ram air. I would imagine Yamaha got fueling maps from dynos and then got the ram air set up with on board data logging, other adjustments according to temperature and ambient pressure could be calculated scientifically but are probably adjusted again according to on board data logging

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 05:18 PM
RacinRoundAustralia

Bike: 06R6,06KTM250SX,
The 06 R6 and alot of other FI bikes do have manifold pressure sensor and air box aswell as one to check the atmospheric pressure to give your engine the correct amount of gas for the conditions,lift up your tank and have a look or just go read the workshop manual..
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Keelay Monster

Bike: 2006 r6 race bike
Re: Ram Air Effect

antoher variable is how much air the motor will suck in. The length between the intake valve seats and the tips of the velocity stacks can be changed to reduce blow back from the valve overlap. Changing this will greatly alter how much air the motor sucks in and how much of it is usable. Same applies with your exhaust. Everyone knows flow is everything on four stroke motors. Same applies with the length between the exhaust valve seats and where junction is in your exhaust. You need to find the right length in order to match exhaust pulses to create maximum flow. Maximum flow in your exhaust allows even more air to enter through your intake. As always with tuning a motor, its compilation of everything you do to that motor and making everything work in unison that gives you maximum horsepower.

Here is an equation to find out how long you need to make your exhaust from the exhaust valve seat to where they join(4 into 1):

Start with the desired rpms you want the power to come on divided by 60. That equals revs per second. Then take 1100 divided by revs per second. Multiply that by twelve to convert to inches. Then divide the answer by how many cylinders there are and that gives the distance your exhaust should be from the valve seat to where they join.

Example:

8000 rpms:

8000/60=133.3
1100/133.3=8.25
8.25*12=99
99/4=24.75s to junction

C:\Documents and Settings\PARTS\Desktop\My Pictures\kyles pics
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:57 PM
ccb
chicken wings

Bike: 2006 R6

Kyle_Montagne,

What does 1100 represents in your formula?
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

so can i do ram air for my 07
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 02:33 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2003 Silver R6

I know there will always be this debate about whether the ram air effect makes a difference or not but does it actually make a difference in sound? I've got a Hindle high mount and am wondering if you can even notice the difference in sound even with a slip on.

I'm thinkin about getting the Factory Pro velocity stacks but aren't sure if its a waste of time. Since I just have a slip on, will I need to do other things like get a power commander or anything else. I will be changing the air filter but thats about it for now. Should I even bother buying do this?
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 03:52 PM
R6.
Never Try.....Never FAIL!

Bike: 07 CR R6

Everybody should just get Cold Air Intakes, then you wont have 2 worry.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 08' R6s

the dog went to church to get the chicken on the telephone pole......

thats about as much sense as i got out of it...then again i have been drinking

It's not how fast you go but how big your grin is!

Bike: 08 R6S
Car: 1995 Mercedes C36 AMG 1 of 444 imported to the US 300rwhp Inline 6 NA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.