Shoei RF-1200 vs Scorpion EXO? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By nytrozula

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Shoei RF-1200 vs Scorpion EXO?

I currently have a Scorpion EXO-R410, the budget friendly helmet from Scorpion, but I'm looking to upgrade to the Shoei RF-1200, although as ridiculous as it seems, I'm not sure why. All I could think of was that the RF-1200 looks sleek because it's smaller.

From what I've read and been told, the EXO-R410 is about 2-3 oz. heavier the the RF-1200, if we're comparing size M helmets, so the weight difference is negligible.

The RF-1200 is Japanese handmade fiberglass whereas the Scorpion EXO-R410 is American made polycarbonate material, so we're not really comparing apples to apples there. Both are SNELL rated, however.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is what's the reason people get a $500-$600 helmet as opposed to a less expensive helmet if they both go through the same qualifying standards? Is my Scorpion EXO-R410 helmet not going to do its job at protecting my head as well as the Shoei?

Please excuse my ignorance. I'm just interested in learning more about helmets, and having a little more information to justify the purchase of a $500 helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 07:21 AM
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W
Re: Shoei RF-1200 vs Scorpion EXO?

There are a couple reasons that the Shoei is more expensive and worth it. Sure, you can call me biased because I am a sponsored racer. However, I reached out to Shoei for their support because I have worn their helmets for years and years before I raced. I like their lids and believe in their engineering.
Lets get down to what's what. First of all, just because both helmets are SNELL don't mean they both will protect the same. Sure, they passed the standardized testing but how far will they exceed it? SNELL is also not just a crash rating. They include standards for ventilation, visor opening and more. That said, here are a few more reasons you will likely be happier in a nicer helmet.
Size: the hand laid shell is going to be smaller for a given size. Shoei has 4 different shell sizes per model. Some brands just use thicker padding to make up room for a smaller size. Having a shell that is no bigger than it needs to be reduces wind resistance, weight and noise.
Fit: More shell sizes mean more specific padding sizes. This reduces the gaps that may be present when you have thick padding to take up space.
Weight: smaller helmets mean less weight.
Finish: Better helmets use better materials. The lining is softer, thicker (the fabric covering the padding) and is moisture wicking.
Flow: ventilation is key for me. Nicer helmets not only have more vents, but their placement is better and the flow through the interior is more efficient.

2016 CCS MA Middleweight F40 Track Champion, #3 Formula 40, #3 Middleweight F40, #8 Middleweight GP, 2015 Crash n Burn Award, 2014 Sportsman Award, 2013 Amateur of the Year, 2012 Cornerworker of the Year

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#132 Proudly representing DC-Moto.net,
, and

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 03:22 PM
I eat my R6

Garage

you don't need a $500 shoei. they make $400 RF-1200's in solids. nothing a few stickers from drippin wet can't fix.

I'm a shoei fan myself. I just like the fit and their 7 year warranty. and the ability to purchase all of the helmet's parts. I just bought a new RF1200 last weekend from a local dealer for $399. yes, a dealer selling helmets less than online stores.

this is why I like helmet reviews from places like STG.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 03-03-2016 at 03:25 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

I just got my rf 1200 and i got one for my girl. The fit is real tight for me once it got to my house. Went to cyclegear the guy there put in the smaller pads usually 50$ for free for me. Which I thought was nice then I decided to get the sena 10s he put it on my helment also.( sry for side tracking) but it was tight he said give it a few rides and the foam I'm shoei will mold to ur head. My problem top of my ear folds a little bit in till I wiggle it around . But I took it to a ride yesterday it was the most comfortable helmet ever worn. Light wight not alot of noise with the chin curtin on it feel good. I am hooked on shoei for life. And I sceen YouTube test video the impact they can stand is unbelievable
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 09:15 AM
Throws Sexy Partys

Bike: 2009 R6 & 2003 XR-100

Your most realistic comparison for the Shoei RF-1200 and Scorpion would be the EXO-R710 or even the R2000. Having ridden in most every good helmet imaginable, prior to my bias of working as a field rep for Scorpion, they had sponsored my 2014 race season with the R2000 GP race helmet. It out performed even my Shoei X-12 and Bell Star Carbon on many fronts. Comfort, aerodynamics, visibility, and even quality in the case vs. Bell.

Bottom line, it is your head. Find the best helmet that fits your head and your needs. *cough R710*

WERA NC Ex #105

- We Live in Our Protection
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:30 AM
RTV
My R6 eats me.

I'm a RF1200 (aka NXR here in Europe) and I just love the lid, lightweight, extremely comfortable, pretty quiet and superb ventilation.

As always, it will depend on your head. I definitely have a Shoei type of head. The thing that I love the most is that I'm a small guy and most helmets will look like I have a bubble head, not the case with the Shoei as they'll do smaller shell as well and not just put more padding to make it smaller.

Fits my comms no problem and works very well both for sports ride and ADV... where for example the AGVs are not that good when it comes to a more up right position, as they wont ventilate very well.

If you look in ebay, you'll probably get cheaper options if you go for solid colors or last year's graphics. The helmet itself is exactly the same.

Cheers,
Rami

Cheers,
Rami
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:24 AM
My R6 eats me.

I'd go with the Shoei hands down, definitely worth the extra cash
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I would agree with Nick_OMC. The Scorpion R2000 is just as good as the Shoei 1200 at a much lower price. Scorpion also has shell sizes too. Best helmet for the money! With that said I wear an Arai but will switch to Scorpion when its time to replace it!
Nick_OMC likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 05:44 PM
My R6 eats me.

I've only owned Shoei (RF-1100 and RF-1200) so my experience is limited but I love both helmets
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 05:54 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2013 R6

LOVE my Shoei! Been wearing the RF-1200 for the last couple of years. I wear an XL and the helmet is so light, It feels like I'm not even wearing a helmet. Little to no wind buffeting, excellent ventilation, the helmet can get a little bit noisy, but I guess that's the trade-off for such good ventilation, nothing a pair of ear plugs can't fix. Visor changes are also super easy. Prior to the Shoei I had a Bell RS-1, which was also a great helmet, just felt a lot heavier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.