Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

BMC Air Filter vs. K&N air filter

34K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  Matias Helman 
#1 ·
Which filter is better. I bought K&N because that is what my truck has and I love the HP gains on the tacoma.. Is BMC or another brand better...

#5 ·
well...that lack of protection just discouraged me. I'll just go with the K&N and PCIII setup...got a few according to the dyno

#6 ·
BMC also makes a filter designed for street use, but I'm not sure how it compares to the K&N and the Stock filter, you may wanna look into it. Also, if your getting a custom map, before you do I suggest getting the Graves V-Stacks and possibly the Slide stops, to get the most out of your PCIII

#7 ·
:twisted:

I have a 2005 R6 with a Yoshi RS-3 slip-on and BMC street filter. Althought the tech folks at Yoshimura said I would not have to re-map, the bike ran very lean and rugged with the two mods.

I added a PCIIIusb and had it custom mapped, but it still was running to lean and ragged under 4,000rpm. I changed to a map from PC web-site, the Graves full exhaust with after market filter. It now runs great, still a little ragged in the low rpm's, but get it above 7,000 and best over 10,000 rpm and the bike just rips.

The race BMC will be much to lean even with a PC, it requires other major mods.

#10 ·
In the UK club racing scene BMC tend to give better results than K&N.

Mind you a lot of us take out the filter completely (if we have tuned engines) and just run the metal guaze. As long as you coat the airbox with a layer of grease to catch the really small particles and clean it regularly you should not have too much trouble.

#12 ·
Vstack help make a smoother air tansition from the airbox to the throttle bodies, less turblence = more power

Slide stops hold the slides inside the TB's open and give you better throttle response when to whack open the throttle.

You should use a Powercommander for either of theses mods but it is a must for the slide stops.

#17 ·
By smidsy
"Mind you a lot of us take out the filter completely (if we have tuned engines) and just run the metal guaze. As long as you coat the airbox with a layer of grease to catch the really small particles and clean it regularly you should not have too much trouble."

Now that's what I'm talking about! :YEA

#18 ·
Hello all, I'm thinking to change my air filter on my yahama r6 2006 and i think that the best option for street going is the bmc. Any idea if bmc or K&N will fit better? I run a PCIII and a termignoni exhaust. I'm very happy with the performance of the bike till now but i always want to give it something more.
Also, another question, the last two times i started the bike in my garrage, the smell from the exhaust is a little bit different. Before, the smell was ''normal'', something like non usable fuel which is go out with the engine start. Now, it comes out like burned oil but i see no white smoke at all. I went with some friends for a ride approx 300 klm and the engine oil is ok. Just to let you know that i use my bike 2-3 times per month for a ride and not everyday. Any idea?

#28 ·
What about MWR air filters?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.