Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

First impressions: BAUCE Racing ECU flash

212K views 1K replies 183 participants last post by  ChiefSmokeDawg 
#1 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger after doing some reading and gathering information. I was a little nervous about doing the whole "ECU flash" thing but after hearing so many positive reviews and feed back from many members, I went ahead and shipped out my ECU.

From my understanding the following things are changed/removed:
-engine braking is reduced
-engine idle is raised
-radiator fans are set to come on at a lower temp
-fuel map is smoothed which leads to a butter smooth throttle
-EXUP CEL removed
- and some other OE restrictions

I've only had this thing on my bike for a day and I've only been able to "feel" the changes regarding to engine braking and the raised idle.

The reduced engine braking is tits. Coming to a stop or going into a corner and dropping gears before entering and still caring speed without the bike "braking" is just awesome. Makes everything sooooo much smoother.

I was worried about the raised idle regarding street riding and the bike heating up quicker at stop lights but I've found that with the lowered set temperature for the fans... The bike never hit more than 207F with ambient temps being around 80-85. It's a bit annoying to hear the bike idle at 2k at stop lights but well worth it. Now you simply release the clutch and the bike goes.....no more applying throttle lol.

As regards to the smoother throttle.... Milky tity smooth!!!!! I literally was able to ride with one hand in first gear and increase/decrease throttle without any twitchy-ness. With an OE ECU, this is impossible, all of you know how twitchy the throttle is in first gear.. The flash literally got rid of that issue.

I was able to ride home through the back roads and open her up a bit... AMAZING! She pulls hard through every gear and seems like she picks up power quick once you hit about 8k RPMs instead of 10k. I didn't open her up all the way as I was riding on public roads but I can't wait to hit the track in April with the new beast!

Overall I'm extremely happy with this upgrade. It's an easy upgrade at a great price. Most people gave me siht about doing this upgrade saying that it won't make me faster and blah blah blah.... An ECU Flash is not just a go fast upgrade.. It helps iron out rough spots that our bikes are known for. This is easily the best upgrade I've done to my bike.

I highly recommend it and I highly recommend Anthony from BAUCE RACING. This guy took hours converting my Bazzaz map to be compatible with the flash, he smoothed it out and listened to my concerns and explained everything, EVERYTHING to me. He applies all his knowledge into creating a true, workable and safe flash. I am positive that his experience with racing and his R&D go into every ECU he flashes. I truly believe that you get what you pay for and there's no exception to ECU flashing.

If you're concerned about the raised idle and If you have any concerns regarding engine longevity after an ECU flash.. .just contact Anthony and I'm sure he would be more than happy to answer all your questions.

And last but not least.... He did not pay me or give me free swag to say all of thee above. I am simply stating my first impressions with this product.

See less See more
#455 ·
"Best bang for the buck you can get. It's amazing. Very strong. This thing isn’t a 600 anymore"

I finally got to ride it today. I got the ECU re-flash back in November of last year and have finally finished the bike build.

Before riding the bike, I spent the winter trying to imagine a way to test this flash with an open state of mind. I didn't want to hop on the bike and "imagine" the benefits, because of all the forum talk. I wanted to "feel" the difference. That's why we all drool when we hear of the great work that "Ant" performs.

When I got done riding about through all the spots and roads, that I am comfortable with, my face was hurting. I couldn’t stop grinning. I found myself going back through and enjoying every mid turn with chunks of confidence, gained from just how smooth the bike had become. It was fast before, but now it's a weapon. It does every throttle input so much "righter" than before.

The increased idle is comforting to have. Better revs at idle is a sure way to increase oiling. The midrange power has appeared, in a big way. (I like this a lot) It pulls stronger earlier and builds like a freight train. (I like this a lot) The peaky spikes while throttling off to on have been subdued. The reduction in engine braking is present. (I like this a lot) My speedometer reads my actual speed and my fans come on earlier.

This thing is smooth and strong. It was a bike that "wanted to go" before, but now it's in "search and destroy" mode. (Actually that's just my new attitude) The bike will, reel in quite a few opponents.
For all the other “fast 600's" out there, look out this thing is just waiting to speak for itself.

Bravo Anthony! Thank you for a job well done!

AAA+++

p.s. CAUTION: Cranked over wheelies do occur.

#457 ·
:D :cheers Thanks so much for the feedback! EPIC write-up! :fact

Enjoy it and have a safe season bro!! :cheers :cheers :drink

i'm looking for some photos of "cranked over wheelies" while at CotA with ridesmart in 3 weeks. :D cover photo style. :laugh

nice review!
:fact :YEA

#458 ·
after not being able to find my spare ECU to flash (i have one already flashed by another company a couple years ago) Anthony offered to send me a couple boxes to try. I needed more engine braking, and i have long suspected my current flashed box has a hangup of the butterflys at zero throttle position. He did some custom stuff for me on the ETV mapping (how the butterflys open as you turn the throttle) and a few other things i like, as well as 2 different engine braking setups of the 2 boxes. Again, I like engine braking, so we went with a 15% reduction on one, and his recommendation on the other (more engine braking taken out). I will try that one next month.
It was a better flash overall from what i can tell. More engine braking, my idle is still higher than i want but it's clear that is not an issue with this or any ECU, it's something with my mapping or the throttle bodies, or who knows.. but there IS more engine braking and the butterflys are closing faster than they did.
Here is how the bike sounds .. (i'm the yellow bike with a big "1" on the front leading everyone :) ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z91o3pR7y0&list=HL1368197633

#473 ·
Best to PM him. His rates vary for way customer, depending on what all you want done and how much time he will have wrapped up in it.

Got mine done this winter. Huge difference, not a complaint for me. Best investment thus far IMO.

First trackday coming up in about 3 weeks. Can't wait

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#485 ·
#489 ·
#488 · (Edited)
holy multi-quote Batman ! ! LOL ^^^
thanks for the help with those boxes again Anthony, will be at PBIR in 2 weeks so will get a chance to try the one with engine braking set as you suggest..

as far as race bike engines being built on the "lose" side, that really is not the case. I think in old days with hot rods, or with cylinders that were not nicasil electroplated like they are today that may have been the practice. i heard old hot-rod guys talking about that to free up hp. But with modern motorcycle engines anyway (not sure about other stuff) the oem clearances are pretty much adhered to with a race build. Even going with aftermarket pistons like CP or JE. In fact, the 06-07 bearing clearance as many know, was a hair more than ideal. I was lucky, my builder knew this right away when i sent them a motor in early 2007 and they went with the tighter clearance bearings that were found to keep the engines from losing low ends..

bottom line for anyone reading, as i have said and is quoted above in posts, it isn't a good idea to let these bikes idle. ever. Especially the 06-07 r6 if you have not had the updated main bearings installed (one color tighter to increase oil psi and retain oil on the crank journal) .
Just lightly blip the throttle a bit when sitting, or warming the bike up to keep the oil psi higher.

and i see posts of people wanting to use 20/50 oil, it's just not a good idea. Ya think you are helping the engine, but it's not. I doubt that in hot weather its gonna cause damage, but it isn't helping. These things are designed to operate within a very close tolerance, and 10-30 (cooler weather) and 20-40 wt (hotter weather) is what is suggested by the manual. 10-40 is fine pretty much all the time and is easy to find.

This post has been deleted
#494 ·
Bump! :toocool:

Just got mine back a few days ago, and might i say...

HOLY S#IT

This flash is like riding an entirely different bike. The reduction in engine braking is amazing. Throttle response is ridiculous now. I was really indifferent about doing it since I was going to buy a PCV, but this was a MUCH better idea. :fact

Thanks again Chief! :nocontrol

#496 ·
#498 ·
So I am kinda on the fence on what I want to do. I know I want to send my ecu into Bauce for the flash. But are you guys running a piggyback fuel management system as well? This gonna be for a 09 track bike only. From what I understand that the piggy back fuel management/afm is really not needed unless you want to fine tune it. I kinda just want to get it right and then leave it

#499 ·
I kinda just want to get it right and then leave it
Then just do the flash. No sense in adding other aftermarket stuff in the loop if you can avoid it.

It would always be best to fine tune before every event just to make sure everything is exactly right for that environment, but most people don't go through all that. For a set it and forget it, do the flash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.