Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

GSXR brembo calipers review

15K views 67 replies 17 participants last post by  orangeburn 
#1 ·
Anyone ever used the newest gen gsxr brembo calipers on the r6?

Any feedback?

#2 ·
What for? They aren't any better than the R6 calipers.

#5 ·
The new Brembo monoblocs are supposed to be awesome off the gixxers... They are the poor mans brembo monobloc. They go for a LOT more money than the R6 calipers right now... The pair of calipers alone is like $200 minimum. I can get a whole r6 system for $150 all day with stainless lines.

Its like swapping on the 1098S stuff onto the regular 1098 or 848. Nice little upgrade.

Im looking at doing this exact swap on my track bike.

#14 ·
Oh, that makes sense. The going rate for the gixxer calipers is more, so they have to to better.

Seems logical.

#8 ·
They are direct swap for 108mm center spacing applications, so basically all the jap bikes except the R1 after like 06 with the 6 pistons, as those are 127mm. Ebay has them all day. I think its 2011+ gixxers.
Thats one of the first things my gixxer buddies say to me about my bike is my brakes. How much better they feel and how much quicker it stops. Guess im used to them as i didnt think they were that great. Until i got on a gixxer. Good god awful
Old gixxer brakes, maybe, but the new ones are pretty decent and easily comparable to the R6 stuff, maybe even better. The 2011+ stuff has good rep and the cost to back it up.

#13 ·
:popcorn:

#18 ·
The Tokico calipers on the Kawi's are by far the shittiest calipers known to man kind. I'm fairly certain Fred Flinstone brakes are better. Using the later model ZX10 calipers, or the Nissin's, R6 calipers, etc are a huge upgrade. That's not really even a debate if you've ridden both. :lmao

The first upgrade anyone should do to their brakes is better brake pads. That will by far make the biggest difference. Throw on a set of SS brake lines, and you don't have to upgrade shit on your '06+ R6.

By all means, you can waste money on the lowest quality grade Brembo calipers ever made from the gixxer, but you're just wasting money and time for a useless "upgrade".

I'm sure many beginner group track day hero's are sure to get butt hurt about my opinion and tell me how awesome their $2,000+ top of the line Brembo braking system is the shit. :bowroll

I don't drink the "Well he runs it, so I have to run it" kool-aid much, but I don't know of many racers on the R6 forum faster than Melk-Man...and last I read about his bike, he's still rocking the OEM master/OEM calipers. And I'm willing to bet he can outbrake most all of us...so that sure as hell tells me that my brakes aren't the root of my inability to adequately use my brakes... ;)

#23 ·
My .02 cents would be it all depends on what you use your R6 for.

Street/track? EBC HH pads. Those things are awesome. I run them on my '06 636 with the Nissin caliper upgrade. Fantastic braking.

Track only? Got Vesrah XX pads on my R6. Things are freaking AMAZING. Holy shit, they are nuts. Ran EBC GPFA's on my R6 last year. Never going back to the GPFA's. FWIW, I've never been sponsored by either brand, so I have no pitch to sell to anyone.

#29 · (Edited)
every year i read the 600cc magazine shootouts, and the R6 always gets blasted for "wooden" feeling brakes. Have to remember these are OEM organic pads, and rubber brake lines. The 05+ radial master cyl is very good. I wouldn't ever spend the $300 to replace it. (in fact sold both years ago for my bikes). I do add the GPtech brake lever with remote adjuster knob (that mounts on left bar). most would not need that and it's $190 or so for the lever, cable and knob mount.

There is no doubt there is a difference in brakes. I ride a very expensive ducati 1100 for a guy in endurance and some sprints, and those brakes are awesome. $5000 REAL brembo monoblocks, $500 set of rotors, Brembo master cyl, etc. However, the fully sintered pads make it TOO much. We always end up switching out to carbon pads to relive some of the hard initial bite.

I am very happy running EBC EPFA sintered pads (less initial bite than the GPFA, and the NEW GPFAX that has replaced the GPFA), Core Moto steel lines, stock R6 master cyl, stock R6 calipters, stock R6 rotors. $9 bottle of OEM Yamaha brake fluid too. no need for anything else on this bike.

The most intense brakes i ever felt, were on a 2003 Kawi 636 i raced for a guy at the 2003 Race of Champions at Daytona. PRetty sure they still run individual pads for each piston (like an R1?) so pads are EXPENSIVE.. but those things bit hard. Again, almost too much for my liking.. I literally almost flipped the bike over compared to my 2000 Honda f4 i was racing that year (my AM season).

Brakes are a "feel" thing though, that's why you see lots of different compounds, different ratios on the master cylinders, etc.

#32 ·
it's just one of a million opinions. But there are lots guys as fast and faster than myself going well on the R6 calipers, rotors and master cyl. :)

one thing i see a lot that kills some braking "power", is riders that have the lever pivot very close to the twist grip. Doing so gives you no leverage, especially if you 1 or 2 finger brake. Move the perch/pivot in toward the fork tube, then adjust the lever reach if needed (will have to reach further now if you move the pivot/perch inward). Now you have more leverage on the brake lever .

#31 ·
I was told by a famous racer that he did not like a hard brake lever. Matter of fact he had his brake lever travel set at a specific amount and no matter how much he squeezed in a panic... it would never lock up. Why you ask? Feel. Its real easy to change the feel from pads to calipers to m/c to lines, etc.

#34 ·
yup, and dirt bike throttle housing has a little piece that sticks out to keep the brake lever perch from coming over too much... kinda handy.

#36 ·
:lmao....this thread is not headed where I thought it would

I just wanted opinions of those that have ridden on the new gen gixxer's for their brakes. I'm no fast guy, but middle pack intermediate still trying to find corner speed. Braking is a strength but not a necessity to improve now. Just trying to figure out what else is out there, thats all :laugh

They can be found on ebay for under $400 for the front set likely, but I wont be ponying up the $$ for it anytime soon. Could use more track time for that price.

I just cleaned out my calipers/pistons. Going to bleed the brakes again before the next trackday. I was getting a lot of fade especially in the afternoon. Started out with my lever in closest position to the bars, by the end of the day, it was on the 4th slot out of 6.

My current steup is stock m/c, Fren tubo type 4 lines, Ferodo XRAC pads, Alth full floating SS rotors, Motul 600RBF fluid was just changed 3 trackdays ago.

#37 ·
for the cost.. i find the R6 rotors very very hard to beat. Get 08+ as they are all 5mm thick. The 06 or 07 (or both) came with 4.5mm rotors.
I see a lot on this forum using those ferodo pads but not versed on how well they really work. They may be great. But consider a different make to compare next time.. Pads can totally change how well or poorly a brake system works, or at least feels for a rider. And move that perch inward to you have more stopping leverage if you need it.

and sorry.. no info on the new gsxr braking systems..

#50 ·
Trail braking is absolutely, positively required to start going "fast". Since "fast" is such a subjective term, I'll say that it's pretty much impossible to be advanced group track day material if you can't trail brake. But it's definitely not something you learn over night. Keep working at it bit by bit...and as always, nothing replaces seat time. Schools help, a ton, but no amount of class time can magically tell you when, how long, and how hard you apply the brakes in a turn.

#59 ·
:popcorn:

I can trailbrake a bit into corners...have a couple videos where I faced camera facing my brake hand. I feel I can carry a lot more brakes going into the corner while starting to lean.

the fear factor is not knowing how much and how far to carry that braking. Going to test it out next time I'm at a track I know well (aka Thunderhill). Maybe ask Ricky to follow me or give me a tow for a session each day.

Following a faster rider, with the right technique, is probably my faster way to get faster ;)

#60 ·
Following a faster rider, with the right technique, is probably my faster way to get faster ;)
That's how most people get faster. Sure worked well for me. That's how I got my feet wet trail braking...trying to keep up with a faster guy, had a bit of a "oh shit" moment when I *thought* I went into the corner too hot. Slowly eased up on the brake as I was going to the apex. A few turns later, I finally realized what I did. :bowroll

#64 ·
my oem rotors are ready to be swapped, i bought the galfer wave rotors since ive never owned a pair of aftermarket rotors on any bike. Was this a waste? lol 500 bones front and rear! dont have them on yet
kind of .. yes. OEM yamaha r6 rotors are very good. Many of the aftermarket rotors sure look sweet though, and don't worry what others think if you like em.
But do they (or any of the many aftermarket rotors) outperform the r6 rotors? not really. Few would be able to tell the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.