Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Boots and Jacket

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Steve905CP 
#1 ·
2 Questions:

Does anyone here know if the T-RC-1 alpinestars jacket is anygood? I know that leather is always the best but as of right now I don't really ahve the budget for leathers and im only commuting from my apartment to my school which is 1 mile away. The jacket feels a bit thin and doesnt have any external pads such as the fieldsheer congo that i saw in another store.

also people recommend boots no matter what but again I'm really tight on money because I dont have a job and I didnt realize I had to fix up my bike so much. What are some cheap boots out there that look like everyday shoes so I can wear it around without them looking out of place?

#2 ·
Dunno about the jacket, but it looks pretty good. I personally just bought an Icon Merc Stage 3 jacket, and absolutely love it.

As for footwear, I wear black leather steel toe boots, which look good for everyday wear, and will keep my feet decent if I go down or scrape my boots in a turn. Plus, I have nightmares after a patient we had at work who was wearing crocs while riding and put the bike down. Ground off most of his toes while he was sliding. Scary stuff.

#6 ·
Plus, I have nightmares after a patient we had at work who was wearing crocs while riding and put the bike down. Ground off most of his toes while he was sliding. Scary stuff.
Crocs should be outlawed, period. They're ugly as sin. They're only good for the beach and stuff like that.

PS: Was the patient riding a Gixxer? :lmao

#4 ·
I have a pair of Astar Supertech Rs. They are badass and feel great, once broken in that is. Problem is they are $. Worth it in my opinion. But on casual just ridin out to store or bar days AStar SMX1s are nice and look like normal shoes. They feel great and people cant tell.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/7524/ITEM/Alpinestars-S-MX-1-Riding-Shoes.aspx

And for a jacket bro, you CANT beat this for this price

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/422/CITEM/Spidi-R-Course-Leather-Jacket-Closeouts.aspx

Get good gear thou, remember its the only thing between you and the elements when something bad does happen.
Cheers

#5 ·
i actually have the trc1 and its been pretty good. i'm 5'7, regular build (with a daddy gut lol), 170 lbs. and it works fine. my commute is about 12 miles (one way). good flow during summer w/out the liner. i use the liner when the mornings are chilly in san diego, but i usually have another layer (long sleeve or thermal does the trick). it looks great and stands out (i have the jacket with red). when it gets too cold, i break out the leather jacket (a*'s tz1), like right now. if you have to ride when its super cold, just add more layers and you'll be set.

cons:
-main gripe about it, now that i've had it for almost a year, is that the elbow armor feels a little loose. however, when i'm in the riding position, this isn't much of a factor, but if i get into an accident (knock on wood), i'm wondering if its tight enough to prevent movement and stay in place. i'm actually considering selling it for a textile that has adjustment around the arms. if i had pythons, a la hulk hogan, it wouldn't be a concern at all ;)
-you'll see the white parts of the jacket (around the arms and such) accumulate with dirt as you ride (my commute mostly consists of splitting cars since the freeway where i live is the fastest way home). pretty minimal and cosmetic. got it dry cleaned and most of it dissappeared anywho.

hope this helps any. definitely let me know if you have other questions about the jacket.

as far as boots, get em and you'll feel better about your commute. as long as there's some sort of ankle protection, you're golden. i have some puma riding boots. comfy as hell and good enough for my commute.

definitely +1 for what richgreene82 said about good gear.

-brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.