Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Break in period for Q2's?

4K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  luke geis 
#1 ·
So I did a little searching, and from what I can tell people don't seem to think there's too much of a break-in period for a pair of new Q2's. However, I just got mine on yesterday (first tire change since buying the bike used), and first ride out I'm taking a fairly easy corner, not leaning in too hard or accelerating out of it at all, and I just lowside (first time too). Nothing serious, but it's still concerning to me. Should I just try to thermal cycle the tires by freeway riding for a bit, and then not worry about it? How long would you say it takes to get them up to temp?

#2 ·
I'd look at your pressures or see if there's something on the tire (fluid? Armorall?)

What you described doesn't sound right. Not much break-in needed for modern tires, just get them up to temp.

#3 ·
I checked pressures a few days ago, but they seemed fine to me. How long does it take them to get up to temp, in your opinion? My only other thought is that I messed up and just accelerated out of the corner too hard and lost traction on my back end, but I didn't feel like I was being all that aggressive. Still, it was within the first mile on these tires.

#4 ·
Reason for your low side.....cold tires. Any tire if cold is going to slide out. On street, it takes a while to warm up to good temp, I'd say ~5 miles or so with good stop'n go's. Hard braking and strong acceleration generated more heat. Also depends on road temps, if tis too cold, tires loose heat fast.

No real break-in time for any modern tires as stated before. Just wait for them to warm up good enough (upto you to know when they are good enough for your riding skills).

#9 ·
Yeah for a track day 2 laps, but next year will be the first year using my tire warmers. woop woop!!

On the street give it a about 5 minutes of hard accellerating and braking, not swerving side to side, that only works well on car tires IIRC.

#10 ·
It's amazingly difficult to keep the proper operating temperature in tires during street riding.. Just about as soon as you manage to get them up to temp you've gotta slow down for whatever reason and they're cooled down again. Unless you're running through the canyons for 30 minute sessions at a time..

#13 ·
Was there anything on the ground? Because that does not sound normal for a Q2. Also was it really cold outside?

Reason for your low side.....cold tires. Any tire if cold is going to slide out. On street, it takes a while to warm up to good temp, I'd say ~5 miles or so with good stop'n go's. Hard braking and strong acceleration generated more heat. Also depends on road temps, if tis too cold, tires loose heat fast.

No real break-in time for any modern tires as stated before. Just wait for them to warm up good enough (upto you to know when they are good enough for your riding skills).
It would have to be Ice cold for a q2 to to just give out like that. Personal on the street with tires not so warm I know what I can get away with on a Q2. Shit I wouldn't have the balls to try on a Stock tire.:lmao

But seriously even when cold the Q2 shouldnt have dropped out on him. maybe it was a throttle hesitation? maybe something on the ground he did't notice.

#14 ·
I didn't see anything on the ground, and it was dry (rare here up in Seattle). Not too cold, I'd say upper 40's, low 50's. My best guess is that I blipped the throttle coming out of the turn too hard and don't remember it, but I definitely didn't crank it. Either that or there was some stuff on the ground/tires I didn't notice.

#15 ·
I didn't see anything on the ground, and it was dry (rare here up in Seattle). Not too cold, I'd say upper 40's, low 50's. My best guess is that I blipped the throttle coming out of the turn too hard and don't remember it, but I definitely didn't crank it. Either that or there was some stuff on the ground/tires I didn't notice.
That's pretty cold. In temps like that, I wouldn't try anything out of the normal unless YOU KNOW FOR SURE your tires are up to temp. Plus the pavement is cold as well.

What pressures are you running?

#28 ·
That's WAY too much. Combine that with the low temps and those tires were assuredly too cold. :fact

What would be a good psi range for streets & and psi range for moderate canyon riding for the Q2's?
I'd start around 30 front and rear and go from there.

I think I'll check the pressure, and if it's above 32/32 or so I might bring it down to 29/29, per the end of this thread here.

Although I'm a bit worried about cooking the tires, most of my street trips are <10 miles
Huh?

#18 ·
Sorry to hear about the spill but I generally take it easy on the streets and have not had issues with the Q2's not holding heat or anything like that; they heat up fairly quickly to be honest with you.

The carcass is a bit harder with the Q2's so check your temps often.

I found I was riding with 42psi in the rear after a trip to dealer; shit was rock hard and very twitchy (for me) when leaning it over.

#21 ·
Just read this on Motorcycle-SuperStore.com:

Dunlop Sportmax Q2 Rear Tire
Paul
(Issaquah, WA)
Watch out when they're cold!!
Surprised there is no litigation against Dunlop when using this tire in cold temperatures. Riding a Hayabusa on a 45°F day, tires at 45°F, pavement dry, clear but in the shade. Just started to enter turn, no lean angle to speak of, and front end slipped out immediately. Afterwards checked tire durometer; like hard plastic. Would never use again in cold temps.

#25 ·
I.did 34 street, 31 twisties

#29 ·
I was incorrect, I was running 32/32 before, not 36/36. And as for cooking the tires, I've heard that the Q2's have a fairly soft edge, so for street riding to keep them a tad harder in order not to damage them. But that's for longer street rides in warmer weather, I think.

#36 ·
Everyone who's running above a 32/32, do you still think that's alright for cold weather street riding? I'm talking less than 45-50 degrees F or so, with nights getting down into the 30's (I do some riding early in the morning before it's warmed up at all).

#38 ·
I run 32/32...

BTW, I'm rolling with supercorsa (semi-track) and they're also very slippery when they're cold. Took my bike for a ride last month before storage (temp was around 50F-60F) and almost lowsided in a curve (too much acceleration, I know.)

Just warm then enough before twisting the throttle. Even if they're new, I don't think there's any major ''break-in'' to do. You can still do a burnout but I don't think the neighbors are gonna like it :) lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.