Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Nails

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ScottyJ 
#1 ·
So I got a nail in my tire a few days ago while going through a construction zone. Called a local shop and they suggested I replace the tire. I did so of course but am curious on two things.

1. Do tires on bikes need to be replaced or can they be patched? They are doing construction on several different routes I take to and from home and work and I am foreseeing it being just a matter of time before it happens again. I'd rather not keep spending $170 on rear tires if I can get away with it.

2. Has anyone ever bought a road hazard warranty on tires on their bikes. The shop that installed the tire unfortunately doesn't and they didn't know who to turn me on to.

Thanks,

CK

#2 ·
Interesting question. I've never seen road hazard warranties offered on moto tires. I'd be curious to see what others have to say.

Depending on where the puncture is, how big it is, and what type of riding you're doing, a proper tire patch + plug (from inside of tire) MIGHT be an alternative to replacing the tire. I say MIGHT, because it's very dependent on what you're doing with the bike.

#3 ·
patch it.

#4 ·
I only use patches as temporary to get me to the shop. I will be the one that says replace the tire. I have no confidence riding around on a patched tire. If it fails you could be SOL and worse if it fails in a lean your really SOL. A patch will always be a weak spot in a tire. A car tire is different, Ill patch those all day long because if it fails you still have 3 tires to keep you in control and a spare tire to continue on.

Had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.