Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Front tire wearing faster?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  yamahacrazy 
#1 ·
I have a set of qualifiers that came on my '15 that the front is almost bald on the sides and the rear still has a lot of tread left....The last time I checked I had the pressure at 32f 30r and set the sag both front and rear but obviously something is still wrong with the front....I measured the rest of whats left on my forks and there is still about 28mm of travel left to bottoming out...Could it be the preload is still too stiff or? Anyone know what could be causing this? First 2 are the front and last one is the rear showing how much trad is left..Thanks :)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
So first off - it looks like you've got a ton of tread left at the edges. The outermost siping is still really deep.

Is this riding on the street, or the track? Since the bad wear appears to be in the middle 3rd, I'm guessing street. Those pressures a pretty low for the street if you wanna get any longevity out of the tires. I'd tend to get worse wear out of fronts on the street, because you (or I, at least) just never really get hard on the gas with a lot of lean angle to really wear at the rear. The front would always start cupping from the crown in the roads before I'd shred a rear tire. My suggestion would be to generally ride on higher pressures - like 36/36. If you're hitting the canyons to really ride hard, lower the pressures when you get to the twisties, then stop at a gas station on your way out to get more air back in.

#5 ·
Yea theres a ton of tread on the edges where im not riding on the tire....Im talking about the edges where im hitting are bald on the clutch side with plenty of tread in the middle still. Yes its street riding. I only ride to/from canyons to home on the weekends so the wear is happening up there as im not on that part of the tire going home....Whats weird is this didnt happen on my 05...I always had more wear on the back tire....I dunno...Ill just play with pressure a bit. I thought it maybe could be from slow or fast comp/rebound. Thanks for the reply though! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.