Insight Needed Regarding Slicks vs. Supercorsas & Q3s... - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success
Insight Needed Regarding Slicks vs. Supercorsas & Q3s...

Fot those that have been on race slicks operating at the optimal temperature, how much different does a Supercorsa V2 and/or a Q3 feel at the track also operating at optimal temperature?

Is anyone running Supercorsas or Q3s that ride WERA or CCS?

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 06:57 AM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300
Re: Insight Needed Regarding Slicks vs. Supercorsas & Q3s...

Supercorsas and Superbike slicks (in the same compound) feel exactly the same because they are the same tire. You'll never feel the siping. Q3s feel very different because they aren't in the same league. Less grip, and it gets worse after a while when they can't shed heat fast enough. I've never seen anybody race on Q3s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:13 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Is this one of those "how can I save a buncha money on tires when I go racing???" questions is it?
FZ1guy likes this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
Supercorsas and Superbike slicks (in the same compound) feel exactly the same because they are the same tire. You'll never feel the siping. Q3s feel very different because they aren't in the same league. Less grip, and it gets worse after a while when they can't shed heat fast enough. I've never seen anybody race on Q3s.
Thanks for the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
Is this one of those "how can I save a buncha money on tires when I go racing???" questions is it?
No. I'm debating between the two, and I wonder how close each will feel to a slick. Next season I plan to have an additional set of wheels with slicks. My lap times and riding by then should be enough to keep them up to temperature while riding.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:34 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
No. I'm debating between the two, and I wonder how close each will feel to a slick. Next season I plan to have an additional set of wheels with slicks. My lap times and riding by then should be enough to keep them up to temperature while riding.
oh... I know WERA allows slicks in ALL classes now. Pretty sure CCS still mandates DOTs in Supersport.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 08:52 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
For clarity it's the Supercorsa SC race DOT's that are the same compound as the Superbike Slicks. There is a street version of this tire, the Supercorsa that is a direct competitor to the Dunlop Q3.

Warmers should be used with the Supersorsa SC and Superbike slicks. No warmers required for the street Supercorsa or Q3's.
Straight Success likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

I think I'm going to go with the Supercorsas SP V2s.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 08:50 AM
Mr. HER6

Oh, in that case... those SPs will feel similar to the Q3. They're in the same category. I thought you were only talking about SC compounds.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

So how much feeling/grip deviation from the SP and Q3s to full on slicks?

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 07:23 AM
Mr. HER6

It really depends on your riding and pace. The slow end of advanced group is probably the fastest you can go where you won't notice a difference in grip. However, it's one of those things where the better (smoother) you're riding, the less you'll notice since you won't be asking the tire for as much grip at the extremes.

If you were racing mid-pack in the amateur class, you may not feel like you're losing time, but you probably would go a bit faster on a race compound. You'll notice the grip fall off after a couple hot laps, especially on a hot day. At that point, the street tires aren't lasting any longer anyway, so there's no point to run them. And obviously, the faster you go the bigger the difference.

One of my friends was on Q3s for a long time and would ride at what would probably be mid-pack amateur pace. He was happy with it, but the bike was clearly moving around more than it should be. After a crash he lost confidence in his tires, but then he moved to a set of Pirelli SC2s and they felt much better. He wishes he tried them out sooner.

What's your situation? Are you trying to save a few bucks on tires, or maintain a double duty street/track tire?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.