Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Insight Needed Regarding Slicks vs. Supercorsas & Q3s...

10K views 56 replies 16 participants last post by  Straight Success 
#1 ·
Fot those that have been on race slicks operating at the optimal temperature, how much different does a Supercorsa V2 and/or a Q3 feel at the track also operating at optimal temperature?

Is anyone running Supercorsas or Q3s that ride WERA or CCS?

#2 ·
Supercorsas and Superbike slicks (in the same compound) feel exactly the same because they are the same tire. You'll never feel the siping. Q3s feel very different because they aren't in the same league. Less grip, and it gets worse after a while when they can't shed heat fast enough. I've never seen anybody race on Q3s.

#4 ·
Thanks for the insight.

Is this one of those "how can I save a buncha money on tires when I go racing???" questions is it?
No. I'm debating between the two, and I wonder how close each will feel to a slick. Next season I plan to have an additional set of wheels with slicks. My lap times and riding by then should be enough to keep them up to temperature while riding.

#10 ·
It really depends on your riding and pace. The slow end of advanced group is probably the fastest you can go where you won't notice a difference in grip. However, it's one of those things where the better (smoother) you're riding, the less you'll notice since you won't be asking the tire for as much grip at the extremes.

If you were racing mid-pack in the amateur class, you may not feel like you're losing time, but you probably would go a bit faster on a race compound. You'll notice the grip fall off after a couple hot laps, especially on a hot day. At that point, the street tires aren't lasting any longer anyway, so there's no point to run them. And obviously, the faster you go the bigger the difference.

One of my friends was on Q3s for a long time and would ride at what would probably be mid-pack amateur pace. He was happy with it, but the bike was clearly moving around more than it should be. After a crash he lost confidence in his tires, but then he moved to a set of Pirelli SC2s and they felt much better. He wishes he tried them out sooner.

What's your situation? Are you trying to save a few bucks on tires, or maintain a double duty street/track tire?

#11 ·
I'm trying to get the best DOT tire as close to the feeling of a slick for roughly 50/50 track street as my 6 will become my dedicated track bike in the not so far future. I need a tire I can run mid to upper level intermediate group preparing myself for the slow end of advanced. By then, I plan to be using extra wheels, warmers, and slicks.

This is me gradually working my way up to faster lap times using the right tires for the heat, speed, and abuse to come once I advance.

I also know I'll probably be averaging about 2500 miles or so out of a set, so...

#14 ·
Thanks, but my last 3 sets of tires were Michelin. Time to try something new.

I'm more leaning towards track duty as a first, and then street fun as a distant second.

#18 ·
My mate used to run Q3's while I ran Supercorsa SC's in Australia. The Q3 is fine for track days unless you're in the fastest group, but as you get faster you'll find you chew through tyres like crazy. He was in the 2nd fastest (intermediate/fast) group and wore through his Q3's every 3 track days. The supercorsa sp v2 will be good for a little more grip compared the Q3, but it won't be as good as a pure racing tyre, like the supercorsa SC. I don't recommend using the SC compounds on the road, they're slippery as hell when cold, you'll need to use them with warmers. Optimally, I say get a spare set of rims, one for road, one for track, but if you don't have the $$$ for that, get the supercorsa SP V2's for the best street tyre.

#20 ·
If things go well, I plan on having Q3s for street/canyon carving, and SC SP V2s for the track - separate sets of wheels.

#21 ·
Ive used q3, superbike pro and superbike sc3. All of them on the track. My friends have used the super corsa, but the dont last that long. If you are not running a supper faster pace, i think you are spending a lot of money on a tire that you dont need. The only reason i stopped using q3 is that they were not keeping up with my pace. I used the q3 even when i was in the slow pace of the advanced group. My sc3 is lasting quite a bit and the grip is there

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#39 ·
... My sc3 is lasting quite a bit and the grip is there
Please chime in if you have been on a Diablo Supercorsa SP V2, a Diablo Supercorsa SC2, and/or a Diablo Superbike SC3 - anyone.

How does the Superbike SC3 stack up in terms of grip to the Supercorsa SC2 and the Supercorsa SP V2?

I've looked at Pirelli longevity vs. grip chart for the different compounds, but it's not there for the SP V2.

#23 · (Edited)
Just to update this thread with my decision.

I ordered an extra set of wheels, and then some new tires to accompany my extra set. Currently for daily commuting and canyon carving, I have Michelin PP3s mounted which are okay for that purpose, and that purpose only - just my personal experience.

The tires I ended up ordering were SP V2s in 120/70 front and 180/55 rear. Let's see if they feel as amazing as everyone said they would. I'll be trying them out at my upcoming track day. Also this will be my first track day in the advanced group. Many people have told me I'm ready, and I'm pretty sure I am - at least I hope so.:grin:

#26 ·
Reviving this thread as I believe I am ready for some slicks. I'm just about running a decent pace in A group - well, decent enough at my own pace to keep up with the faster folks in A group for about 1/2 - 1 full lap. :surprise:

The SC V2s are the :shit. I love 'em. However, I'm working on smoothing out my riding, my lines, my throttle control, my body position, and a whole lot of other stuff to improve. With that said, I know my lap times at various track will start to drop, I'll pick up the pace, and be a little more demanding in the "trust your rubber department."

With that said, any updates here in 2018 for decent affordable warmers?

#28 ·
I really like my Moto-D dual temp warmers. The make single temp warmers as well that I think are just north of $300.

If you're gonna run warmers, I think it makes sense to run the slick compounds except maybe in cooler temperatures if you can't keep them at operating temps. An SC2 front (slick or dot) and SC1 or SC2 rear can last a while depending on your pace, suspension and track temps. The SC3 rear lasts forever. I went from SP v2s to SC3s to SC2 F and mostly SC1 R. There's really no going back. There is a night and day difference in my opinion, and they'll only wear worse if you start going faster. But that's the idea.

#27 ·
my old woodcrafts were cooking my pirellis last weekend. Not a lick of trouble from them in ~5+ years? The newer style is even nicer. Really like the cord disconnect feature versus others that have to be powered off.
Nothing worse than cheap warmers. :) That being said my buddy still has his tire sox! About $200 new.

#32 ·
There are more qualified people to provide input than me, and the Dunlop vs et all has probably been debated ad nauseum. Regardless:

I used Pirelli slicks in different compounds all summer on two R6s and an R1. I ran Dunlop GPAs medium/medium plus last year on my R1. I had couple cold tire low sides on the Dunlops when I was careless with my warmers/sat in the pits. That's not the tire's fault, but it reinforced for me what I believe is the consensus: the Dunlop's require a lot of heat to work, i.e. are better the faster you are.

Is this actually true? Does someone have data? I don't know.

#33 · (Edited)
Upon reading reviews, I have found that some people like a firm/stiff carcus while others like a carcus that's soft and flexible. I don't know the difference in feeling, so I guess I'll eventually end up trying both to see what my personal preference is.

#49 ·
Some people like a firm/stiff carcass while others like a carcass that's soft and flexible.
:fact

Dunlop's have the stiff carcass. That is one of the reasons with the Ntecs run such lower pressure in the rear. I run the KR451 super soft rear at 23 cold/25 hot at COTA, H2R, Cresson, etc.

I know a lot of people that like Dunlop or Michelin, or Pirelli, or Bridgestone, but I don't know anyone that likes them all.

#34 · (Edited)
Why do the reccomended pressures for slicks differ that much more than that of a DOT tire?

For example (and my example could be slightly off, so feel free to chim in), @ sea level, 10% relative humidity, and the ambient air temperature is 80 degrees F, why is it recommended to run, let's say a Q3 at 30f/29r and a NTEC at 29f/26r? Is it for the flexing of the slick?

EDIT: Is it that it could be for the extra air expansion in the tire attribuatble to higher temps from a faster pace (more thermal loading on the tire). Hotter air expands while cooler air is more condensed.

#35 ·
Those are about the pressures you would use for a DOT on the track as well. 30/30 is a decent starting point if you have absolutely no idea and no-one there with more knowledge. You wouldn't want to commute on those pressures (your tire would square off quickly) but you sure as hell can get a lot more traction for braking, accelerating and cornering.

#37 ·
Me running 28/29 in the rear and 30 in the front on a 90 degree plus day in the desert felt perfect (Chuckwalla). I also ran these same pressures at Laguna Seca in 68 degree weather with no problems. Both times I was using a SP V2. I guess I'l have to get back to playing with pressure on slicks to see what I prefer.

#40 · (Edited)
dunflops feel like your ridding on the street in the rain..... having to use the outer rubber to feel the grip

poorellis feel like your riding in the dirt with a flat tyre.... having to use the carcass to feel the grip

each to their own, personally I cant stand the feeling of dunflop but my buddy beside me cutting the same laps cant stand poorelli

and everyone has a different skill level, if your coming back in and the slicks are colder than when you took the warmers off you need to ride harder or stay on cut slicks ( the cut slicks assist in generating a bit of heat)

just my 2 cents

#42 ·
wow you must be really super skilled then. I bet you dont race MotoAmerica because you really cant stand the feel of Dunlops...right?
Thats the only thing keeping you off the grid there... right? :surprise:\
Otherwise you'd qualify on pole if you could run anything but a spec tire...lol

Get a ****ing clue dude... cut slicks? You cant be ****ing serious...lol.

Id bet you $5,000 you could not tell the difference between a pirelli, michelin, or dunlop if all you did was get on a bike shod with any of those and rode it to the best of your ability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.