180/60 Tire Fit and Chain - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Garage
180/60 Tire Fit and Chain

Hey all,

I bought some new Pirelli Supercorsas and went with the 180/60 versions instead of the 180/55 I've been using for the last few years. Mounted on wheels, the 180/60 is about 15mm taller than a barely-worn-in-the-center 180/55. So that means the tire is about 7-8 mm closer to the swing arm. I figure rear ride height is about 5-7 mm higher once there is some weight on it. I have stock gearing (16/45) and a stock chain (114 links).

I read here that I can take out the shim between the top of the shock and the frame. So I've done that. That shim (stock I expect - says "up" on one end) is 3mm thick. I measured the axle-to-tail measurements before I removed the shim. I'll compare the measurement without the shim when I finish putting it all back together. I figure that will keep the same geometry I'm used to (even though I could probably be nanoseconds faster with a raised rear ride height!!).

After all that, my question really has to do with the chain. With the 180/60 mounted and stock sprockets/chain, there is no room for my warmers (Woodcraft warmers with the connectors on each end that have to make it through the tight spot at the swing arm). That's with about 50mm of chain slack. I can get the warmers on with the chain at about 30mm slack, which is a bit tight.

So I guess this means a new, longer chain? Will a 116 link chain be too long? Is there enough adjuster room to get it tight enough? And once the chain is tight enough, will the wheelbase increase have any odd effects? I really don't want to loose any nanoseconds (or more importantly, the days associated with an unexpected crash).

BTW, I am a mid intermediate rider. And not in a hurry to go faster - just bought the 180/60s cause I understand they give good contact patch.

r-

ih574
2009 R6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W
The quick answer is yes, you need to go to a 116 chain. The slightly longer wheelbase will not affect anything.
If you are due for sprockets at this time then you might want to go 16/46. That will put you at the same overall gear ratio that you were at with 16/45 on a 180/55 tire. Not only that, but it will shorten the wheelbase up some.
What tracks to you typically ride? That will play a part in gearing as well.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Re: 180/60 Tire Fit, Chain, and Alignment

Thanks for the verification. I ride Summit Point Main and Shenandoah as well as NCBike. Plan to get to VIR sometime. Stock gearing was OK with the 180/55, though first is a bit low. Not getting anywhere close to top speed (150+), but then my objective is not outright speed. My main concern with the 180/60 is having clearance for tire growth (and warmers) and managing ride height.

Right now, I have the stock 114 link 525 chain with about 40mm of slack and just enough room for the warmers to go on with a little rubbing. Ordered a new 520 chain (116 link) and sprockets and kept the gearing the same (16/45). Figure that will move the wheel back slightly less than 5/8" (one link, top and bottom). That should be enough.

Now just need to figure out a good way to align the rear wheel - thinking of a pair of 1/4" rods, one in the rear axle and one in the swing arm pivot, using various sizes of rubber stoppers to center the rods.

Thanks again for the feedback.

r-

ih574
2009 R6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:41 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven
Wink Re: 180/60 Tire Fit, Chain, and Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih574 View Post
Now just need to figure out a good way to align the rear wheel - thinking of a pair of 1/4" rods, one in the rear axle and one in the swing arm pivot, using various sizes of rubber stoppers to center the rods.

Thanks again for the feedback.

something like this??

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tdoss1980 and The Evil Twin like this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:50 AM
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W
Re: 180/60 Tire Fit and Chain

You could go the easy route and use the marks. When people say they are off it makes me
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Or use a Vernier caliper and measure the distance from the back of the swing arm to the back of the adjusters.

2016 CCS MA Middleweight F40 Track Champion, #3 Formula 40, #3 Middleweight F40, #8 Middleweight GP, 2015 Crash n Burn Award, 2014 Sportsman Award, 2013 Amateur of the Year, 2012 Cornerworker of the Year

#132 Proudly representing DC-Moto.net,
, and

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
You could go the easy route and use the marks. When people say they are off it makes me

Or use a Vernier caliper and measure the distance from the back of the swing arm to the back of the adjusters.

on my gsxr... the swingarm marks are about 1/4" off on either side. My zx12...5/8". My R6 was an <1/8"
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Re: 180/60 Tire Fit, Chain, and Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
something like this??
Yes. Something exactly like that. In fact that seemed to be an excellent solution, with one possible exception: Where do I find one? So I figured I could fab one using a couple of 1/4 rods and various one-hole rubber stoppers popped into the four different hole sizes in the swing arm pivot and axle. Let me know if the pictured one is available somewhere. Would much prefer to have accuracy of metal cones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
I have a pair of simple inside calipers that I measure the gap between the front of the adjuster and the swing arm cutout. Then I adjust till the gap is the same. Seems pretty good, based on the chain run. But I have a hard enough time steering when its aligned properly and don't need any extra challenge!

r-

ih574
2009 R6

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:47 PM

quality machine

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:08 PM
My R6 eats me.

why not just get the right size tire?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:32 AM

Angry Re: 180/60 Tire Fit and Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by primacarne View Post
why not just get the right size tire?

please tell me youre kidding??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.