Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

546 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TurboBlew 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just saying hello. I'm in the DC area and don't own an R6 but do have an old TTR125. Been doing track days for several years on my 600RR but now looking to change things up, leaning toward an R6 (though would consider a steal on a 13+ 675). Despite going to the track a lot I know next to nothing about bikes; gotta start learning about the R6. I hear it's really sharp in it's handling and is happiest up in the rpms but that's about all I know. Am eager to hear what people like/dislike about it, favorite upgrades etc. Anyway, that's it for now; looking forward to meeting people and learning about this bike. Cheers.

#2 ·
Hello and welcome to the forums. I also don't have an R6 yet, but I am getting one soon. I've rode my buddies 08. Such a fun bike. I'm currently waiting for my 17 R6 to be delivered. Until then, I'll just have to follow this forum and dream. The good thing is I have another bike to ride around while I'm waiting or I'd probally go crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
What's up buddy!!
It was a different world coming from the Kawasaki to the R6 for me. Such different bikes yet both so capable. Just like any 600 the Yami does best above 11000. However there is no forgiveness in this machine. Mid range is anemic at best where the Kaw had some grunt to make up for a missed downshift. The Kaw would also make power as the revs built with no end in sight until the limiter intervened. On the R6 there is a definite sweet spot somewhere around the 12.5- 14.7 range. There is no sense in using any more than 15000 rpm on the Yamaha since the power begins to taper off from there. Unless you are coming up to a braking zone and upshifting is not necessary.
Track side support for this bike is great. As long as you stick to main stream parts like Woodcraft and the like.
We'll get together over a brew and talk shop soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.