Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

how long have you track riders been riding?

10K views 57 replies 38 participants last post by  TrackDazeR6 
#1 ·
Just like the title says, I'm curious how long all you guys who ride on the track have been riding. Not just on the track but all together. And how long did it take you to get to the track after starting to ride

#12 ·
Amen.
I got my motorcycle license @ 16 years of age. That was 1981. Rode on the streets for 30 years and nearly 300,000 miles before I ever set foot on the track. So I thought I knew what I was doing.
WRONG!
I've learned more in the last few years on the track than any of those street miles. Now I've gotten so much more confidence when I ride on the street. I've actually worn down a set of footpegs on my big GL1800 now that I know what I'm doing.

So as long as you're somewhat comfortable on a bike, take an advanced riding course to start. Then rack up those track miles. Your street riding will be SOOOO much better.

#6 ·
Been riding since somewhere around September 2002 - so ... fcuk, 13 years now. Been riding track around 5 years? Wish I had the good sense to get to the track much sooner, but then again, I'd probably be bankrupt if I got the addiction in my early 20s.

#11 ·
I got my bike in Oct 2013. First track day was April 22 2014. My R6 was my first motorcycle and I got it when I was 19. I'm now 20, and I'm finishing my second year at the track and I've spent more money than you could imagine someone my age could. Done about 40 track days or more within these 2 years. After my second track day I've never ridden on the street again. I don't plan on it either. I have a car and that gets me from point A to B just fine.

#13 ·
I bought my first dirtbike in 2004. I rode dirt until until about 2008, picked up a street bike in 2005 and finally made it to the track in 2011 doing just 2 trackdays a year, I needed a track only bike. Now I am knee deep in this shit, using all my vacation to try and make every round.

#15 ·
I started riding at 24 years old and started racing less than a year after I got my licence (before I ever did a regular track day) I did taste of racing and the race school. Then a sponsor sent me to the California Superbike School (BEST DECISION EVER!!) where I completely changed my riding and racing ability and also became a coach with them. Now I coach riding and racing.

Was just curious because I just started riding, but I'm scared to test the limits because I don't know what the bike is capable of lol. I'm still trying to get used to how the bike handles
I wouldn't consider track riding as just a place to test the limits but a place where can safely work on your riding skills in order to experiment with the limits in a safer environment. You can choose a riding school as a great place to start your track riding session in a way that is non-intimidating. That way you gain a solid foundation of proper riding skills, how the bike handles, good throttle control etc, so that you can practice good technique at the track day :)

I've been coaching with CSS for 12 years now so please let me know if you have any questions about the school itself or riding skills in general.

Safe riding!!

Misti

#16 ·
I started riding at 24 years old and started racing less than a year after I got my licence (before I ever did a regular track day) I did taste of racing and the race school. Then a sponsor sent me to the California Superbike School (BEST DECISION EVER!!) where I completely changed my riding and racing ability and also became a coach with them. Now I coach riding and racing.

I wouldn't consider track riding as just a place to test the limits but a place where can safely work on your riding skills in order to experiment with the limits in a safer environment. You can choose a riding school as a great place to start your track riding session in a way that is non-intimidating. That way you gain a solid foundation of proper riding skills, how the bike handles, good throttle control etc, so that you can practice good technique at the track day :)

I've been coaching with CSS for 12 years now so please let me know if you have any questions about the school itself or riding skills in general.

Safe riding!!

Misti
thanks i appreciate it. Ive only been riding for a week now so im nowhere near comfortable enough to start testing the bike's limits. I was just trying to get an ideal for how quickly people typically become better riders. I went the right path, i feel, and took the beginners motorcycle course before i got my license. Definitely glad i did, and have already thought about taking some advanced courses next season if the funds are there

#18 ·
I grew up riding dirt bikes but I didn't start riding street bikes until I was a little older. I probably rode the street for about two years before I went to the track. All I can say is I wish I went to the track when I was a lot younger. It is such a blast. After going to the track twice I sold my bike and bought a dedicated track bike and have not looked back. I don't ride on the street at all anymore. I have learned more on the track than I ever did on the street. I highly recommend trying the track it is so much fun.

#22 ·
i bought my first bike in 2005. started track riding a year later. started racing in 2013. got my white plate this year. as soon as you can work the controls and make the bike move under its own power is the perfect time to begin track riding. the instructors i've had have always been fantastic.

#23 ·
I've been debating on getting rid of the bike but recently got a job with a commute so I've held onto it- I definitely want to throw it on the track before I get rid of it. It is what the bike is built for after all. One of these days I'll join you guys!

#24 ·
21, college student, first year riding. Decided to buy a 600cc sport bike from the day I saved enough. Posing was never an option, going fast like sonic the hedgehog was ideal. Practice around twisties every chance I got, dropped by random bike nights with a crew. Saved up enough for gear, went to my first track halfway through the season. Got flagged from going too fast in beginners group, last lap of the day pushed beyond my limits and shattered my finger. Never looked back lol adrenaline junkie

#25 ·
I had a bike in 1999 but it was just something I bought for $150 that needed some work. 1975 suzuki GT550. really only rode it about 1000 miles.

I didn't really get into riding until 2003 when I bought a brand new 2003 R6. I was hooked right away.
I didn't do a track day until 2007 though. as you guys know, it opened up a whole new world of riding. still ride the street because where i live we have great places to ride. but I get my speed fix on the track.
so I guess I've been riding for 13 years.

#26 ·
How could guys find so many track days to ride? I might be looking wrong. My state, Oregon has two track and each one has one company that runs on t afaik and they each seem to have only one day a month for five months.

Am I looking wrong? Do you guys travel far?

#27 ·
One track weekend (2-3 days) per organization is pretty typical. A quick google search found at least two organizations that run track days in your area. I'm willing to bet there's more.

Registration - MotoFit Group LLC.
2Fast » Schedule

Depending on where you are in Oregon, I think there's 3-4 tracks that are reasonable to get to.

Portland International Raceway
Oregon Raceway Park
The Ridge
Pacific Raceway

If you're willing to make a longer trek, maybe Thunderhill or Sonoma in northern CA would be doable?

FWIW, in southern CA, we've got probably 7-8 tracks that are less than 6 hours away, 5 of those are in the 2-3 hour range.

#32 ·
Got my first bike six years ago; rode the street three or four months and then discovered the track; never went back to street. I'd like to get another street bike for chill rides in the country but haven't gotten around to it; just have a ruckus for paddock and neighborhood. I like to get out to tracks in the southeast, especially VIR and Road Atlanta but also Barber and Summit. Wrecked my 600RR in August and now looking for a new bike, leaning toward an R6; already looking forward to next spring!

#33 ·
Mine is a long story. I always had an interest and then got a new neighbour when I was 11 who raced MotoX. I got to ride the PW80 and KX125. When I was 16 I got my first road bike, a Kawasaki KG150 Scorpion. Then later on at 19 a Honda CBR400RR nc29. Had a bad accident, road a bit longer after fixing bike but then needed a car so gave up riding for like 12 years. Eventually got back into riding with a 2005 R6 (2nd gen). Started doing track school with it, then went for a Honda CBR1100xx Blackbird. Started scraping pegs, exhaust, fairings, boots, etc on road and track so thought it's time for something a bit more track suited again. Went for the Suzuki GSX-R 1000 k5. Rode that until June this year when I sold it after hiring a 2005 R1 racebike to do a rookie race called Breakfast GP and was hooked! I hardly rode on the road anymore and it's just too dangerous in my opinion. Bought my 2006 R6 race bike and just completed my first 2 regional races a week ago. If I go back to road riding it will be something dual purpose or cruiser when I'm older.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.