Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Trackday mods

14K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  YZF-R6@RA 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 R6. Next year I'd like to do my first Trackday and was wondering if there are any mods you'd recommend doing over the winter to get ready for it? Right now other than some cosmetic mods, I have case savers, axle sliders and Tech Spec pads on the bike. I plan on mounting a set of Q3's over the winter and getting my suspension set up for my weight in the spring, after I drop a few more lbs. Otherwise the bike is stock. I still plan on riding the bike on the street, but can definitely see some track time in my future. Any suggestions on any additional mods, or does it look like I'd be good to go for now?

#5 ·
case savers = good idea
axle sliders = worthless

Suspension & tires = good idea

only thing Id suggest is getting rid of the stock clip ons & get some that are adjustable. Less than $150 and makes a HUGE difference in feel.

Refrain from doing the whole "soooperbike mods" thing that many feel they need. Honestly I would
spend money on the BEST gear you can afford plus an ass ton of seat time. I would let the course of your riding dictate what you need from there.

#6 ·
case covers, SS brake lines, brake pads

Once you get faster, and decide to do double street/track duty, then get spare wheels with track/race tires

Other than that, just seat time. Stock bike will do a lot more than most of us, although, for feel, suspension mods do really help with confidence (once you get to fast group pace)

#11 ·
Given that you have the bike track ready, as in you've taped up your headlights, removed the mirrors and changed your coolant to water there are already some good recommendations. But I'd look into some brake lever guards, since it is a safety item which often gets overlooked with track day riders.

TWM Brake Lever Guards

Also if you are getting new tires, it is a good idea to fit some 90 degree valves on to your wheels so that when you are checking hot tire pressures, you can get it done quickly and also you don't burn your hands on the front rotors trying to get to your valve stems.

Bridgeport 90 Degree Valve Stems

I would also find a good suspension tech (usually there are some at track days with track side services), get your suspension setup for you, this would make one of the biggest differences.

Frame sliders are a touchy subject they have been talked over and over at the end of the day, you should make the call on those.

Also as you improve your riding, you will start seeking for go fast mods, so that would mean suspension, brakes (pads), better tires etc..

#16 ·
There isn't a thing that bike needs for your first track day. As long as your tires are good, the brake pads are over 50% it's good to go. Check with the organization on safety wiring requirements.

#19 ·
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I plan on safety wiring even though it may not be required to run novice. I will also upgrade to steel braided brake lines and better pads. I will definitely checkout the aftermarket clip ons as well. That, plus tires and suspension tune should keep me busy over the winter. As for gear, I already have helmet, boots and gloves, so all I need to pick up is a suit. Thanks again for your advice.

#20 ·
No need to do shit to your bike other than going through it and making sure it's in sound mechanic shape - good brake pads, chain/sprockets, and most importantly, tires. You will not need the grip that new tires provides, but for your first day, it sure as hell gives you a lot of confidence, and that's good, because you'll have 50 million other things running through your head while you're sitting on pit out as you're about to go on track.

Check with the org and make sure you tape up the lights/remove mirrors or whatever they have you do. What tracks/orgs are you looking at?

FWIW, I know plenty of Advanced group guys that still ride on OEM lines and pads. Many fast racers actually prefer OEM pads, but that's a different topic altogether.

#33 ·
Every track org is different but i think minimum people should have their oil filter, drain plug and filler plug safety wired. You can use one of those metal duct clamps with the worm gear to secure your filter or just grab a k&n filter. Some orgs ask you to flush out coolant to either engine ice or water wetter for your radiator.

I personally think orgs should require engine case covers to some degree... not saying full replacements like woodcraft, graves or vortex, but maybe gb racing, leovince carbon covers, yoshi pieces. It will suck if there's a yellow flag cause a rider throws it down track but i will be pissed if we are red flagged and the track is shut down because someone leaked slippery fluid all over the racing line.

Track mods in my opinion are not performance mods but whatever positions you to reduce any missed track time. I think crashable/replacements parts, good condiiton tires/brakes and fluids.

#36 ·
Remove anything you can (license plate, passenger pegs, mirrors, turn signals, etc),

I'd recommend a good set tires preferably something like q3 or Michelin RS (Other options)

Fresh Brake Fluid and check pads.

Get a basic suspension setup for you if you haven't already.

I'd at least get a stator cover. Woodcraft are expensive but are the best IMO. Vortex and GB Racing make some good ones too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.