Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

How to start racing

7K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  High Side 
#1 ·
How does one go by to get into racing? Do I just get my license and apply for races? (Of course with a race ready set bike.) I want to get Into it once I get better and I am more confident on the bike. I've done to the track twice in novice classes. I'm planning on taking one more novice class then move on to intermediate. I'm not planning on racing until I'm confident in the advance class. What do you guys recommend until then?

#2 ·
where are you located? Most orgs (WERA & CCS are the major ones) offer $100 / license classes so you can go racing the same weekend.
The license classes DO NOT teach racecraft which is any & all of the following:

-Starts
-Race start turn 1 entry
-mid corner passes
-pace setting
-race lines
-physical conditioning
-focus ability

Simply getting to "advanced" class is an accomplishment but there can be a HUGE disparity in speed at that level with riders on the exact same bikes.
A seasoned racer vs a fast track day rider... could be as much as 8 seconds on the same course.

There are a couple of track day orgs that offer license classes as well. Some even offer "mock races" where you can grid up in formation & experience a race start & short 5 lap race before starting the whole process. The only downside to racing is the "short shelf" life and the "lack of fun" that seemed to infect everyone, at some point.

Additional costs are the license for a year with whatever org... ccs or wera are $120/yr. each
Transponder - $80-$500 depending on what they use
Current legal helmet
Clean, uncrashed gear
Safety wire prep - $150

#5 ·
Someone once said "If you want to make a million bucks racing, you better start with two million."
You have a long, long, long way to go before you will "get" anything for racing. Especially tires. That is something that is rarely free. Some manufacturers run contingency where you will get credits towards tires based on your results. Team Promotion also issues credits for track days. VP Fuels pays out cash.
CCS does a lot of racing at Homestead, Daytona (twice/ year) and Roebling Road (Georgia) raceways.
So far as cost, TB is spot on.
Our (MARRC) licensing school is $250
CCS license $125-150
Transponder- $80-125 (can find used ones sometimes)
First race- $80
Subsequent races- $60/ea

The website isn't great, but CCS | Championship Cup Series | Motorcycle Racing will have a ton of information. You do not need to be in advanced group to go racing. Back in the day there were no track days. You went up on a race weekend, took the licensing class and went racing. Trial by fire!

#4 ·
well CCS is definitely the bigger Org in your area. Henry DeGouw is who you want to contact. fmrra is a pretty new org that took over the days a Palm Beach that CCS canceled due to the track not honoring some safety improvements. The use the AMB transponders same as WERA & many kart clubs.
The prizes you win in club racing are contingency... usually after you spent a fortune with the companies to start. With tires, for instance... there has to be minimum grid sizes. Got to check with each product... and no you cant be a whore for all of them! :D Also be sure to fill out your tech forms with all your "sponsors". My buddy used to put VISA on his...lol

Good luck! :D

#6 ·
I'll say this for anyone wanting to start racing these days

Know the racing lines at hte track, hold your line and dont get spooked by anyone getting real close to you (you may get lapped in your first race, depending on your skill level). This will help you avoid disasters (and also knowing what each flags mean). Trackday flag and race flags may have different meanings, so pay attention in race school.

Even if you are in intermediate group in trackdays, its still a god time to start racing (as long as you remember above points). Racing will help you drop your lap times a lot faster......I dropped ~2s every race for the first 5 races, so 10s over 2 days. However, I already had the skills to run those lap times consistently, just didnt know I could be that fast on a new to me bike. Racing will uncover that potential.

Good luck :cheers

#7 ·
So I race FMRRA and branching out to WERA this year. CCS FL really only races at Daytona and Homestead. This is FMRRA's second year racing and they are still growing. If you go to FMRRA website they will have the race schedule and want you need to get started. FMRRA currently races and at Jennings, PBIR, Roebling, and is working on getting Homestead in its schedule. A lot of people I know are slowly moving from CCS to FMRRA due to the rules and other issues.

#8 ·
Go see Nick, Yamaha Champions School.
Safer Faster .com
Don't feel pressured to race. Do schools and track days, as many as you can.
Work through the bike as you come up to race pace,upgrades become necessary the faster your pace becomes and supension, tyres and brakes are where you will and should start . Racing is loot best to get as much craft as you can to finish the best you can before you grid up.

I've heard a couple to it was you can make a small fortune racing...
If you start with a larger one.
Every racer starts their career with 2 bags 1 full of luck and another empty of experience.
The key to your racing career is to fill your bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck.
Money no longer has numerical value as it once did now it has become a denomination of tyres.

Ck out Dave Moss, he has a couple series on you tube that are extremely helpful with suspension and tyres.

#9 ·
I've heard a couple to it was you can make a small fortune racing...
If you start with a larger one.
Every racer starts their career with 2 bags 1 full of luck and another empty of experience.
The key to your racing career is to fill your bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck.
Money no longer has numerical value as it once did now it has become a denomination of tyres.

Ck out Dave Moss, he has a couple series on you tube that are extremely helpful with suspension and tyres.
you should get out and actually meet some racers. I can tell you most of them are of "limited means" and will starve themselves or sell
a kidney to have a "shot". Also there is a definite "drive or competition desire" that motivates what they do above your typical pedestrian rider.

They also dont believe in "luck". Luck is something lottery players need... motorcycle racers need an edge and will stop at nothing to get it.

#20 ·
I'm not a racer and never will be. I don't understand how you guys that do race don't get spooked by the other riders being so close to you. Is that something you learn to deal with or are most of you guys just crazy enough not to worry about it? Lots of respect to all you guys that race at any level.

#24 ·
It's like anything else, you get more and more comfortable as time goes on. You definitely don't go from a first day track rider to brushing elbows while you're both dragging knee hitting the apex overnight.

It might sound kind of backwards, but as I progressed over the years, I feel more comfortable at speed in closer proximity than I did riding in Novice/Intermediate group at track days. You get a bunch of 'tardos that think they're the best thing since Rossi and they can't hit an apex to save their fvucking life. There is a wide range of speed even at the (club level) Expert level, but being an expert is more than just speed. It's about being able to learn a track within a few laps, being consistent at hitting your apexes and turn in points. If I am out there and see you have white plates, there is a certain degree of trust I will automatically have. Overall, the community is small, so for the most part, we all know each other (or at least know "that" bike or whatever).

#21 ·
Racing elbow-to-elbow never scared me. If we are both going through a turn at the same speed then relatively speaking we are not moving compared to each other . What did spook me at times was getting my doors blown off by experts going into turn one during combined races. Last year I would race the GTO on my 600 and the experts we're probably going into turn one 30 miles an hour faster than I was at the last brake marker. The thing is, fear is not real. It is your reaction to a set of circumstances. what you have to do is not react and just hold your line. It does take a special skill set to block out certain things but racing it's something everyone can do

#22 ·
Racing elbow-to-elbow never scared me...The thing is, fear is not real. It is your reaction to a set of circumstances. what you have to do is not react and just hold your line. It does take a special skill set to block out certain things but racing it's something everyone can do
close passes have never really bothered me. Someone passed me on the outside of 3 going into 4 at Jennings. It never occured to me that it was possible to pass there.
Also I got strafed in Turn 11 @ Barber. Left about a 1' off the inside curbing and had my knee on the ground. I think it was Taylor Knapp on the AOD R1 and Dywer on BEI GSXR that went around either side of me.
My only regret was not having a gopro facing forward to catch them crisscrossing and the mirage of MR12 they left. I later looked at their lap times... 28s vs my 39s...lol:grin:

#29 ·
Three points on a basic turn (not including double apex, etc.). Entry, Apex, Exit.

Entry is when you tip in / start your turn.
Apex is the "mid point" of the turn (where you hit the inside curbing).
Exit is your line on the drive out.

The combination of the three make up that corner's "line". The geometry of the corner, the track before and after the corner, and what you are riding will generally dictate the proper line.

#37 ·
Another stupid question(sorry but a complete track rookie here), what does the numbers you keep mentioning mean? 22,24, 19 if you're really good. It seems like the most difficult part of racing would be riding in traffic. I've never rode on the track but I ride on the street and get around fairly well but would not like it if someone was anywhere near me, especially at high speed. There is no doubt you guys that do this stuff have a special gift that most people make fun of and its called stupidity!!!! :grin:Just kidding fellas, you are some brave souls! I'm going to try my first track day at Autobahn in joliet, IL at the end of May. I'm curious how fast i'll get around the track once they turn me loose. :eek: Any advice on preparing for the track would be most welcome.

#38 ·
Numbers mentioned are either lap times or turn numbers. There will be times that are considered fast at a track (expert times at summit are sub 1:20s), so saying 27's means I run ~1:27 a lap. Will depend on the track.

Best advice for a first day is to take it easy, have fun, and listen to the coaches. It isn't a race; only way you win a track day is if your bike isn't trashed. Make sure you bike is in good shape; tires have plenty of meat and are at good pressure, brakes are in order, and everything else is running smooth. Bring enough water, food, shade (canopy), and seating for you to be comfortable while resting between sessions. And try to get some sleep the night before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.