Need to remove paint from Stainless Steel. [Archive] - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

: Need to remove paint from Stainless Steel.

z31maniac
02-22-2005, 11:03 AM
I was looking at my bike and it appears that somehow a streak of white paint is now on the midpipe of my BF exhaust.

What can I use to remove the paint that won't damage the finish?

r6dirtydave
02-22-2005, 11:11 AM
You could probably get a good solvent for it at Sherwin-Williams, and some good advice on how to do it. They have auto paints, too, and I'm sure they can contact a sales rep to give you better information if needed.

When I worked at BASF researching auto paints, we used a lot of acetone to clean the SS lab benches..., even some MEK if it was a tough spot..., acetone should be ok, but MEK may dull the SS..., be careful with either.

twistad
02-22-2005, 02:15 PM
good luck

blue03r6
02-22-2005, 02:44 PM
depending on the type of paint will determine what you will need.
its going to be hard to damage ss.
house paint, acetone may work.
car paint, reducer will eat anything off of anything.

NoLegs
02-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Try Goof-Off...on the backside first of course. It shouldn't damage the finish. Just don't ever use it on plastics...

r6dirtydave
02-22-2005, 04:12 PM

acetone is the primary solvent in most clearcoat and basecoat reducers..., at least it was a few years back..., for plastic paint coatings.

stoneloco808
02-22-2005, 08:27 PM
try some brakleen or paint thinner or borrow the girlfriends nail polish remover. then polish up the can with some mothers or neverdull. stainless steel is hard to mess up, well i shouldnt say that.

njk27
02-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Acetone should work, as would goof-off. be very careful with either though. There also is the possibility of scraping it off with a razor blade, if your daring, I probably would try it.

Ed
02-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Once again, How the hell did you get paint on your midpipe?

bbored130
02-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Go to walmart and pick up a can of "aircraft remover" just be careful not to let any of it on any painted surface you dont want the paint to come off of.

'01R6
02-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Go to walmart and pick up a can of "aircraft remover" just be careful not to let any of it on any painted surface you dont want the paint to come off of.

Actually it's called Metal Stripper, will be in a quart size tin can, open it and make sure it's a shit yellow color, you will also halfto buy a brush and apply it with the brush. VERY INTENSE SHIT. Do not get it on anything that you don't want to be rid of paint, and I believe you halfto be 18 and over to buy it.

z31maniac
02-23-2005, 11:16 PM
Once again, How the hell did you get paint on your midpipe?

Man I have no idea. No one has ridden my bike and I park in my apt. every night too. There is also a bunch of real light scratches on teh swingarm too. WTF?

SpeedSen
02-24-2005, 02:35 AM
i would recomend spraying some WD-40 and letting it stay on there, then clean it off with carb cleaner, or brake parts cleaner

bbored130
02-24-2005, 07:32 AM
No it's called "aircraft remover" it comes in a white or black aerosole can like spray paint. It retails for about $4.29 at Walmart. That's what the local polishers use to remove paint off of metal. Anyway, I am sure what you use works too.

'01R6
02-24-2005, 04:52 PM
No it's called "aircraft remover" it comes in a white or black aerosole can like spray paint. It retails for about $4.29 at Walmart. That's what the local polishers use to remove paint off of metal. Anyway, I am sure what you use works too.

Hmm, that's wierd the only stuff I saw was called metal stripper, and I thought when Autozone sold it they called it Air craft paint remover, I thought autozone sold it by the gallon for like $20, and Walmart sold it in a quart size can, same yellow stuff, called metal stripper, eitherway that shit works scary fast. We used a random paint remover on my buddys kawi to "polish" the wheels, let that sit on there for like 3 hours a few passes, and the stuff that we couldn't get off with that, went down and baught the metal stripper, sat on for 5 minutes and melted off, amazing shit

blue03r6
02-25-2005, 12:23 AM

acetone is the primary solvent in most clearcoat and basecoat reducers..., at least it was a few years back..., for plastic paint coatings.
no mention of acetone in ppg's omni medium reducer. you guys dont know shit about paint strippers, paint reducer will take the paint right off your car in a minute.

bbored130
02-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Hmm, that's wierd the only stuff I saw was called metal stripper, and I thought when Autozone sold it they called it Air craft paint remover, I thought autozone sold it by the gallon for like $20, and Walmart sold it in a quart size can, same yellow stuff, called metal stripper, eitherway that shit works scary fast. We used a random paint remover on my buddys kawi to "polish" the wheels, let that sit on there for like 3 hours a few passes, and the stuff that we couldn't get off with that, went down and baught the metal stripper, sat on for 5 minutes and melted off, amazing shit

I went down to Walmart yesterday to pick up some more of that stuff.. but maybe it's the same company putting out 2 products but it has a pic of a plane on the can.... but yep it works great. You can spray it on your rims or and let it sit for about 15-20 mintues and then get a hose and let it trickle on the rim then rub it off with a wire brush (I use a golf club brush so it doesnt scratch the metal) then re do what is left and it should take you only about an hour to do both rims. But, if something else the guy can try is that stuff that is supposed to take the blueing look off the pipes and restore them to the shiny silver color. Haven't tried it but I hear that works good.

BassnTruck
02-26-2005, 09:25 AM
I kinda had a problem like this. But instead of paint I wind up resting the rear of my right boot on my nice gytr pipe. so I have heavly burnt on rubber on it. I have this metal polish. comes in a blue tub that is a paste. Can't remember the name. but the stuff will slowly eat the rubber off. Well your elbow grease and the stuff will. but it restores all the metal to a perfect polish. Does a great job of removing the blue tint from the pipe also. But it takes alot of time and alot of towles.