Balancing Wheels With BBs or Beads [Archive] - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

: Balancing Wheels With BBs or Beads

Aleeex
02-14-2012, 09:10 AM
For those who care... Maybe its a repost, maybe not

I recently replaced my rear tire.. At home. and did some research on balancing. Looked into dyna beads.. and did not make sense to order them... sit and wait... and pay more money then it would cost to take them to a shop and balance the wheel.

So went across the street to Wal Mart... $5 later I had a bottle of air soft BBs. Measured 2 OZ and filled the rear tire with them. Took off all the weights from previous balancing. So far, rode a few times, no issues. Tire seems balanced. No noise from the BBs.

DO NOT USE METAL BBs. (too heavy)

So.. If anyone else is trying to do this...

Front Tire = 1oz Plastic air soft BBs
Rear Tire = 2oz Plastic air soft BBs

These methods are frowned upon by some, and praised by others. Do at your own risk. I know people with huge mud swamper tires use golf balls instead of BBs.

Terrible
02-14-2012, 09:25 AM
How the fcuck are you prepping my shit AND working on your tires? :frown:

Aleeex
02-14-2012, 09:27 AM
How the fcuck are you prepping my shit AND working on your tires? :frown:

I did this before I got your shit :fact

bryan j
02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
I heard once the tire carcass gets hot the inside gets sticky too and it can cause the bb's to stick and throw off the balance.
Idk if its true but just a thought

sent from my Nokia...wait wat?

Aleeex
02-14-2012, 09:40 AM
I heard once the tire carcass gets hot the inside gets sticky too and it can cause the bb's to stick and throw off the balance.
Idk if its true but just a thought

IMHO that does not, and will not happen. Ive had cars with small rocks inside... Not sure how they got there, but when replacing tires they would fall out.. and none of them ever stuck. Ive only had rocks stick to slicks on the outside.

snowbizx
02-14-2012, 09:45 AM
you probably coulda just thrown your anal beads in there.

bryan j
02-14-2012, 09:49 AM

Bro we both know baseball size beads won't work

Aleeex
02-14-2012, 09:54 AM

Bro we both know baseball size beads won't work

They are too large for this application. wait :yuk:

pickpocket293
02-14-2012, 09:56 AM
So back it up now... You're saying that you don't have to balance the tire if you throw 2 oz of plastic airsoft bbs in the carcass of the tire?

Terrible
02-14-2012, 09:58 AM

You ever try to get a leash on a gerbil? Good luck stringing 5 or 6 together..

Ryan5544
02-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Someone say anal beads?

dubhugger
02-14-2012, 10:02 AM
IMHO that does not, and will not happen. Ive had cars with small rocks inside... Not sure how they got there, but when replacing tires they would fall out.. and none of them ever stuck. Ive only had rocks stick to slicks on the outside.

Plastic and rocks have different heat retention properties which may allow for a different reaction when inside of a hot tire.

balancing beads do work though. I suggest dyna beads to everyone.

Aleeex
02-14-2012, 10:06 AM
So back it up now... You're saying that you don't have to balance the tire if you throw 2 oz of plastic airsoft bbs in the carcass of the tire?

Yes. http://centramatic.com/Page.aspx?page=Demo

You ever try to get a leash on a gerbil? Good luck stringing 5 or 6 together..

Someone say anal beads?

http://www.seccs.org/forums/images/smilies/icon_mother_of_god.jpg

tobimaru
02-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Interesting, never heard of this type of tire balancing. I worked in a few shops for 4 or so years a while back but it was all car work. Typically either used sticky weights on the inside of the wheel or hammer-on wheel weights on the lip/edge of the wheel.

If there was ever anything inside the tire, at low speeds you would hear it fumbling around on the inside of the tire. For example; the butt end of the valve stem. Crap mechanics just tore them in half and let that fall inside the tire and replaced the whole thing. At low parking lot speeds you;d be driving around and hear, "clunk, clunk, clunk" as it tumbled around the inside of the tire.

I guess since beads are round they will just roll; but I don't know how I feel about something inside my tire.

bigballin228
02-14-2012, 10:31 AM
I use dynabeads... They work well

bryan j
02-14-2012, 10:31 AM
They work, I wanted some but hearing about the heat scared me away. I'll have to try some out now tho.

dubhugger
02-14-2012, 10:39 AM
They work, I wanted some but hearing about the heat scared me away. I'll have to try some out now tho.

Dynabeads aren't effected by the heat in the tire because they are ceramic. I'd be weary of plastic pellets. I've had the dynabeads in my tires up to a true 150mph and it's as smooth as butter. rockymountain ATV has the best price that I've found. 4 oz kit for 15$

If anyone else has found better pricing let me know

Aleeex
02-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Dynabeads aren't effected by the heat in the tire because they are ceramic. I'd be weary of plastic pellets. I've had the dynabeads in my tires up to a true 150mph and it's as smooth as butter. rockymountain ATV has the best price that I've found. 4 oz kit for 15$

If anyone else has found better pricing let me know

Ive hit 154 with them... In mexico :sing

dubhugger
02-14-2012, 10:59 AM
is this a contest...? Cause I'll throw it up on the stand and bounce it off the rev limiter!!!!!
j/k...but seriously

Aleeex
02-14-2012, 11:00 AM
No contest. Just wanted to see if it the balancing worked.. And it seems to be working. I watch my tires for wear and check tire pressures all the time. So if I notice any funny wear or vibrations I will report.

dubhugger
02-14-2012, 11:06 AM
No contest. Just wanted to see if it the balancing worked.. And it seems to be working. I watch my tires for wear and check tire pressures all the time. So if I notice any funny wear or vibrations I will report.

I've run them on my past two sets of tires and I've never had an issue with irregular wear or wobble at any speed. They're good stuff for a street application

Aleeex
02-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Well Im running the air soft beads, so I will pay closer attention. If I am bored or if I decide to powdercoat my wheels I will see if any of them get stuck on the inside of the tire

dubhugger
02-14-2012, 11:14 AM
just make sure to post back so that there is a record

asnatlas
05-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Any updates ??

Aleeex
05-16-2012, 12:36 PM
It worked for me. Used airsoft pellets. 2oz rear tire. 1oz front tire.

Pellets were plastic.

asnatlas
05-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Front Tire = 1oz Plastic air soft BBs
Rear Tire = 2oz Plastic air soft BBs

I am curious how the ounces for the front and rear tires were determined?

Aleeex
05-17-2012, 09:27 AM
I am curious how the ounces for the front and rear tires were determined?

I dont recall since I did this a while ago. I believe I searched on how much "Dyna Beads" recommends, and thats how I came up with those figures.

dubhugger
05-17-2012, 09:39 AM
I dont recall since I did this a while ago. I believe I searched on how much "Dyna Beads" recommends, and thats how I came up with those figures.

that sounds about right

asnatlas
05-17-2012, 09:57 AM
I found this...

Motorcycle applications are easy for all bikes, 2 wheel or 3 wheel (http://www.innovativebalancing.com/chart.htm#MotorcycleChart)

JuanTon600
05-17-2012, 10:15 AM
I bet you could use metal BB's aslong as you made the weight equivalent to that of the 1oz of dyna beads or the 1oz of plastic bb's. Just a thought.

OhioYJ
05-17-2012, 10:15 AM
I stopped balancing my motorcycle tires, I found if you line up the dot with the valve stem, on a quality tire, it's fine the way it is.

On my Jeep however I've used several things on my trail tires (the wheels are beadlocks), and since the nearest trail is 2.5-3 hours away, I have to run them on the highway. I used the DynaBeads at first and it worked great. However I noticed when I removed those tires, the "sand" like compound was abrasive. I could see "sanding" marks in the center of the tire, all the way around. Not enough to compromise the tire, but it did make me switch to the air soft BBs. It's also been working very well for me. It's also interesting to see the look on peoples faces when I come to a stop at a stop sign, and they hear them slowly stop spinning, and then start bouncing off the wheels inside.

Aleeex
05-17-2012, 10:29 AM
I stopped balancing my motorcycle tires, I found if you line up the dot with the valve stem, on a quality tire, it's fine the way it is.

On my Jeep however I've used several things on my trail tires (the wheels are beadlocks), and since the nearest trail is 2.5-3 hours away, I have to run them on the highway. I used the DynaBeads at first and it worked great. However I noticed when I removed those tires, the "sand" like compound was abrasive. I could see "sanding" marks in the center of the tire, all the way around. Not enough to compromise the tire, but it did make me switch to the air soft BBs. It's also been working very well for me. It's also interesting to see the look on peoples faces when I come to a stop at a stop sign, and they hear them slowly stop spinning, and then start bouncing off the wheels inside.

I have never heard mine.. And 2oz of plastics airsoft bbs.... is a lot :sing

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 10:30 AM

:laugh :laugh :lmao

Seriously? Go do 120 all day on an unbalanced tire and try and type a response. I'll laugh at the typo's cause your hands will still be vibrating. :laugh

And lining up the mark on the tire opposite the valve stem is what your supposed to do no? And even then it needs weight. You should try balancing your wheels and tires. It's a MUCH smoother ride at speed

And I've known people who have tried the bb's without luck. Maybe not enough? They ordered the dynabeads IIRC

Aleeex
05-17-2012, 10:34 AM
:laugh :laugh :lmao

Seriously? Go do 120 all day on an unbalanced tire and try and type a response. I'll laugh at the typo's cause your hands will still be vibrating. :laugh

And lining up the mark on the tire opposite the valve stem is what your supposed to do no? And even then it needs weight. You should try balancing your wheels and tires. It's a MUCH smoother ride at speed

And I've known people who have tried the bb's without luck. Maybe not enough? They ordered the dynabeads IIRC

Have you tried this yet?

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Have you tried this yet?

I've ridden on unbalanced tires/wheels on my 02 and have lost a couple wheel weights at the track too. It's REAL easy to tell if it's the front tire. I have double layered black duct tape over the weights now.

Personally, I've never tried the BB's. I just get the tires balanced electronically for cheap so it's no big deal to have it done.

Aleeex
05-17-2012, 10:40 AM
I've ridden on unbalanced tires/wheels on my 02 and have lost a couple wheel weights at the track too. It's REAL easy to tell if it's the front tire. I have double layered black duct tape over the weights now.

Personally, I've never tried the BB's. I just get the tires balanced electronically for cheap so it's no big deal to have it done.

Cmon man! Try this at the track for us.. Its like 3-5 bucks for the bbs.

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Cmon man! Try this at the track for us.. Its like 3-5 bucks for the bbs.

:lmao Noway dude. This was a topic of conversation on Tuesday and Wednesday at the track in the garages. I dunno who tried em, but they said it was awful and regretted it thoroughly. I will find out who this was. Maybe Derffred?

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 10:54 AM
It was Derffred:

It worked perfectly at first. But I guess over time/after 6 trackdays, it didn't work anymore cuz I felt a vibration at 50

derffred
05-17-2012, 10:59 AM
It was Derffred:

:fact Never again.

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 11:00 AM

:laugh

I'm laughing like I did when we talked about this in the garage. :lmao

Aleeex
05-17-2012, 11:10 AM

:laugh

I'm laughing like I did when we talked about this in the garage. :lmao

Which BBs did you use? How much?

I did not have issues myself, although I did not track the bike

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Sometimes I don't need any weights on my front tire. Sometimes I do. Depends on the tire and how lucky it is for me I guess! :laugh

With an off balance tire you usually feel the vibration within a certain range of speeds.. Maybe you haven't spent enough time at that speed or found it yet. In my experiences, it was over 120 on my 02. I was like, this old bike does NOT like to go fast like your newer ones!! Not true. Stupid chopper shop hates sport bikes and gashed my wheels up and didn't balance a damn thing.. :rant

these things seem like a gimmick or a novel idea to me. I feel like people would be doing this all over instead of balancing if it were better or a real alternative..

derffred
05-17-2012, 11:53 AM

I used the vendor locator on DynaBead's website, drove to the shop, and bought 3 ounces for like $10-15 bucks.. I don't remember exact. Mounted the tires myself at work and installed the beads.

Aleeex
05-17-2012, 11:58 AM
I used the vendor locator on DynaBead's website, drove to the shop, and bought 3 ounces for like $10-15 bucks.. I don't remember exact. Mounted the tires myself at work and installed the beads.

What are the beads made out of? Are they some kind of metal?

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Derffred knows his shit! I've seen him change a tire on an XR 70 ALL by himself! ;) :poke

bryan j
05-17-2012, 12:07 PM
I would think plastic air soft bbs might start melting, especially using tire warmers. With the soft sticky tire carcass and melting bbs it might cause heavy spots if the bbs start sticking to the tire. Idk just a thought, and dyna beads are ceramic

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 12:19 PM
I would think plastic air soft bbs might start melting, especially using tire warmers. With the soft sticky tire carcass and melting bbs it might cause heavy spots if the bbs start sticking to the tire. Idk just a thought, and dyna beads are ceramic

That's a good call. It could at least cause them to clump up and stick to each other. Most warmers run at 170 degrees or so. Getting off the track, the tires are usually even hotter than that!

Aleeex
05-17-2012, 12:38 PM

That's a good call. It could at least cause them to clump up and stick to each other. Most warmers run at 170 degrees or so. Getting off the track, the tires are usually even hotter than that!

The airsoft bbs are way light. I dont see that happening.

Have you tried to melt something at 170*? I cooked rubber pieces on shifter rods when I powdercoat them.. 15min @400*.... and they do not melt

jmejiaa
05-17-2012, 12:41 PM
You don't feel an unbalanced rear wheel as much as the front, and for all you know the wheel could have not needed weights at all.

For example I bought a used rear, slapped my tire on and never balanced it.. Felt fine.. I balanced it recently and it did need weights. My bet is your tire is still unbalanced as shit.

The front I could feel a lot more.

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 12:52 PM
The airsoft bbs are way light. I dont see that happening.

Have you tried to melt something at 170*? I cooked rubber pieces on shifter rods when I powdercoat them.. 15min @400*.... and they do not melt

:eek5 I have only baked a set of headlights and it only got warm. I dunno how well air soft pellets hold up as I don't have my microscope handy that I use to fry ants in the sun with. :laugh

I could see their low density being an issue and letting them stick together. I back this statement with no scientific proof, research OR evidence tho. :lmao

You don't feel an unbalanced rear wheel as much as the front, and for all you know the wheel could have not needed weights at all.

For example I bought a used rear, slapped my tire on and never balanced it.. Felt fine.. I balanced it recently and it did need weights. My bet is your tire is still unbalanced as shit.

The front I could feel a lot more.

:stupic:

derffred
05-17-2012, 12:57 PM
What are the beads made out of? Are they some kind of metal?
The beads are tiny, similar to the size of a grain of sand, and they're not metal, more like a dense plastic.

Derffred knows his shit! I've seen him change a tire on an XR 70 ALL by himself! ;) :poke
:sing :lmao:lmao

Idk if they clumped up, whenever I put my bike up on stands, I could still hear the beads moving around when I spun the wheels. This is the video that convinced me to buy them..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

Aleeex
05-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Well unfortunately R6 is gone, and I cannot comment on how it worked out in the long run. In the short run it worked. I should have some POS bike here shortly and I will use the beads again

Spnknu
05-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Little off topic but would loosing a wheel weight cause a tank slap at low-mid speed (20-30mph)?

I went down a week ago and my brother rode my bike home and experienced tank slap on the ride to my house.

Thanks

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 01:06 PM
The beads are tiny, similar to the size of a grain of sand, and they're not metal, more like a dense plastic.

:sing :lmao:lmao

Idk if they clumped up, whenever I put my bike up on stands, I could still hear the beads moving around when I spun the wheels. This is the video that convinced me to buy them..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

I was like, WTF is Fred posting a video of a DRILLDO for???

derffred
05-17-2012, 01:09 PM
:lmao!!!! what do you know about the drilldo BRAH

OhioYJ
05-17-2012, 01:23 PM

I've always been told dot's go with the valve stem and had great luck doing so. However google it, you'll find you line it up with the valve stem.

I don't have any wobbles that I can tell, not that I have anywhere to do 120 all day, but my bike has been well over that without any problems, on either of my last two sets of tires. I never noticed a difference over the ones I did have balanced.

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 01:27 PM
I've always been told dot's go with the valve stem and had great luck doing so. However google it, you'll find you line it up with the valve stem.

I don't have any wobbles that I can tell, not that I have anywhere to do 120 all day, but my bike has been well over that without any problems, on either of my last two sets of tires. I never noticed a difference over the ones I did have balanced.

Nice!!!! Then rock on man!

I don't change many tires. I know the dot on the tire is either the lightest or heaviest spot. I'll take your word on it since you googled it and I didn't. :laugh

Good luck with those beads!

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 01:28 PM
:lmao!!!! what do you know about the drilldo BRAH

I been to a few bachelor parties you would have puked at. :fact We get down out here in the sticks.

jmejiaa
05-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Little off topic but would loosing a wheel weight cause a tank slap at low-mid speed (20-30mph)?

I went down a week ago and my brother rode my bike home and experienced tank slap on the ride to my house.

Thanks

A wheel weight won't cause a tank slap. I don't know what will at that speed lol

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 01:58 PM

Thanks

No. I highly doubt it. He was probably holding on to the grips for dear life. The bike automatically goes straight and always will. Tank slap is almost always improper input to the bars. More often then less, it's cause the rider squeezes them too hard. I get it when I get lazy and use the bars to pull my ass up onto the bike from a lean.

OhioYJ
05-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Nice!!!! Then rock on man!

I don't change many tires. I know the dot on the tire is either the lightest or heaviest spot. I'll take your word on it since you googled it and I didn't. :laugh

Good luck with those beads!

There are actually two different dots, red and yellow.

Yellow is the light spot of the tire. When wheels are made they are supposed to put the valve stem in the heavy spot of the wheel. So you line up the yellow dot with the valve stem.

The red dot is the high spot of the tire, which gets matched to the low spot of the wheel, or the valve stem of the wheel is not marked.

If the tire has both dots, the red dot takes precedence.

My last two sets of BT016s have only had the yellow dot.

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 02:04 PM
There are actually two different dots, red and yellow.

Yellow is the light spot of the tire. When wheels are made they are supposed to put the valve stem in the heavy spot of the wheel. So you line up the yellow dot with the valve stem.

The red dot is the high spot of the tire, which gets matched to the low spot of the wheel, or the valve stem of the wheel is not marked.

If the tire has both dots, the red dot takes precedence.

My last two sets of BT016s have only had the yellow dot.

:cheers and thanks for the info!! I know they have showed me this at the shop before, but I'm just always excited to not have gashes in my rims I always forget. :lmao

I still bet yours is off balance. If anyone has any extra of these beads for me, I will have the tire put on the electronic balancer with the beeds in there and we can see how effective or ineffective they are. It spins faster than Fred's Drilldo IIRC.

My guess is you aren't noticing how off it is.

OhioYJ
05-17-2012, 02:55 PM
My guess is you aren't noticing how off it is.

Oh I'm not saying it's perfect, I bet it could use a little weight, however it clearly can't need much because it doesn't do anything funny, even pushed hard. It's amazing the weight difference you can run into, just by having the aligned. Especially if you had them opposite.

ChiefSmokeDawg
05-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Oh I'm not saying it's perfect, I bet it could use a little weight, however it clearly can't need much because it doesn't do anything funny, even pushed hard. It's amazing the weight difference you can run into, just by having the aligned. Especially if you had them opposite.

Absolutely man. Like I mentioned, a lot of times my front wheel on my 02 doesn't need weights!!