Mr. Clean Autodry okay for bike? [Archive] - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

: Mr. Clean Autodry okay for bike?

jonLr6
04-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else used the Mr. Clean Autodry "system" on their bike? I just did it yesterday and it looks good. I hosed down the whole bike too. The guy at the dealership said he always covers his instrument panel and seat before washing. After I washed it and it dried a bit, I tried to turn on the instrument panel and all was good. Any comments on this?

R6reddevil
04-07-2006, 02:32 PM
I always put a plastic bag over the seat...I would assume the instrument panel could withstand water because it is so open to the elements.

jonLr6
04-07-2006, 02:34 PM
That's what I thought about the instrument panel. Is the seat not water resistant? I didn't cover it this time, but it dried out okay. What about the Mr. Clean? The guy at the dealership was trying to sell me some of the wash solution he had, but I wasn't too thrilled about it. Plus, you would have to dry it afterwards.

06-r6
04-07-2006, 02:39 PM
The entire bike can get wet, because it is can be out in the rain!
I don't know why you guys are covering your seats. they are water resistant. you dont need to even dry it, but if you want you can just give it one wipe with a chamois and its dry.

tripleTUNE
04-07-2006, 02:39 PM
I prefer not to put water on my bike period. I will give it a good wash at the beginning and end of the season, but other than that it is mostly windex or a rag with hot soapy water to get the bugs off. I use an electric leaf blower to dry my bike afterwards and it works like a champ. No standing water hiding after that thing goes over it.

the_gill
04-07-2006, 02:46 PM
I just use meguirs qwik detailer on the entire bike after every ride, stays clean and looks great.

I'm still searching for a good product to keep wheels easily cleanable, I havn't tried armor all on the spokes and rims, maybe ill do that..

69z28lt1
04-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Its kinda like the ones scarred to leave a dog outside, for crist sake, wtf do you think they did for years before houses?

water isnt going to hurt the bike. Truth be told, the sun and wind do more damage to your bike than water does.. yet you ride it in the sun.. :dunno:

Just wash it like normal, but i bought a big 210mph or whatever leaf blower to dry it off.
thats if I get caught in a rain storm or somthing. other than that i use the spray car cleaner stuff and a rag.

69z28lt1
04-07-2006, 02:58 PM
I just use meguirs qwik detailer on the entire bike after every ride, stays clean and looks great.

I'm still searching for a good product to keep wheels easily cleanable, I havn't tried armor all on the spokes and rims, maybe ill do that..
no its greesy, meaning it will attract dirt lol.

just use simple green and a rag or soft brush, takes all of 30 sec a wheel.

Jota21
04-07-2006, 03:12 PM
+1 on the simple green.... besides you dont want any greasy lubricant that close to your tires

Also, exactly how you washed your bike with the Mr. Clean shit is the best way to do it in my opinion unless you want to spend an entire afternoon washing instead of riding.

Scott_R6
04-07-2006, 03:22 PM
hmmm, Ive never washed my bike and it looks showroom clean with 4700mi. I dont prefer to wash my bike.

CrashR21Bud
04-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Its kinda like the ones scarred to leave a dog outside, for crist sake, wtf do you think they did for years before houses?

water isnt going to hurt the bike. Truth be told, the sun and wind do more damage to your bike than water does.. yet you ride it in the sun.. :dunno:

Just wash it like normal, but i bought a big 210mph or whatever leaf blower to dry it off.
thats if I get caught in a rain storm or somthing. other than that i use the spray car cleaner stuff and a rag.

A leaf blower for drying the bike IDK about that but prop's on the simple green that shit works wonders also if you want to try using polish on the rims works pretty good.

Roberts

06-r6
04-07-2006, 04:12 PM
You should never use armor all on the rims because it will attract dirt like crazy! thats an awful idea, if you keep the bike clean and wash it periodically the grease on the rims won't ever have the chance to build up and you wont even have to use Simple Green. To all you guys saying you dont wash your bike, i dont understand that at all, you cant possibly have almost 5000 miles on your bike and never have washed it and it still be showroom condition clean! its impossible. The grease on your wheels alone must be outrageous. what about dust/bugs/fingerprints?
Anyways to each their own, im a clean guy and i do detailing so i guess I'm very into keeping my bike sparkling!!!!!

Scott_R6
04-07-2006, 05:01 PM
you cant possibly have almost 5000 miles on your bike and never have washed it and it still be showroom condition clean! so your calling me a LIAR?????? its called being anal about cleaning the bike, I try not to go more than a week without completely cleaning the bike, but usually clean the bike after each hard ride. whys it so hard to believe?? if you keep up on it the bike WILL look like new. Ill post pics tomorrow of the bike AND the odometer, Im not one that needs to lie about the cleanness of my bike.

69z28lt1
04-07-2006, 05:27 PM
A leaf blower for drying the bike IDK about that but prop's on the simple green that shit works wonders also if you want to try using polish on the rims works pretty good.

Roberts
why? its perfect. I used it on my car for years. it saves towels and doesnt allow for those damn drip marks around edges.

Scott_R6
04-07-2006, 05:29 PM
deleted pics, I dont feel the need to prove how I clean my bike. but on the subject I dont see a problem using that Mr. Clean product

halo
04-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Are you guys kidding me you are aruguing over the difference between washing and cleaning. I think it is the same thing. I have 3000 miles on mine and I have washed (aka cleaned) It countless times. and it also looks showroom clean. You guys are retards

Scott_R6
04-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Are you guys kidding me you are aruguing over the difference between washing and cleaning. I think it is the same thing. I have 3000 miles on mine and I have washed (aka cleaned) It countless times. and it also looks showroom clean. You guys are retardswashed to me means, garden hose, bucket, soap, and sponge.......that to me is washing, therefore I have NEVER washed my bike lol......cleaned yes, I use Meguires quick detailer, Armor All cleaner wipes (not the shine shit) and Plexus and I wax the bike 1/wk to everyother week

tripleTUNE
04-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Scott, I have no idea what the hell you did to keep that thing so clean, but more power to ya. My rims get dirty as hell.

Scott_R6
04-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Scott, I have no idea what the hell you did to keep that thing so clean, but more power to ya. My rims get dirty as hell.I just keep up on it dude, I dont let it get too dirty and thats how I get away without actually washing the bike, I dont ride in rain or on wet roads either, which helps

Jota21
04-07-2006, 07:10 PM
your bike looks new as hell, i'll give you that - but i've always thought that 'cleaning' the bike without the lubrication of soap and water would actually scratch it up instead of cleaning it

mrsenortyler
04-07-2006, 07:12 PM
washed to me means, garden hose, bucket, soap, and sponge.......that to me is washing,

I guess I have never washed....

.....my clothes.

.....the dishes.

.....my self.

There are many things I have never washed!

Scott_R6
04-07-2006, 07:17 PM
your bike looks new as hell, i'll give you that - but i've always thought that 'cleaning' the bike without the lubrication of soap and water would actually scratch it up instead of cleaning itI use Meguires Quick Detailer, if you dont let the bike/car get too dirty it is perfectly safe. I also use Plexus from time to time but that shit is too expensive

Scott_R6
04-07-2006, 07:20 PM
I guess I have never washed....

.....my clothes.

.....the dishes.

.....my self.

There are many things I have never washed!so I guess you can also wash your bike in a

washing machine?

the kitchen sink?

the shower?

lol, you know what I mean smart ass!

jonLr6
04-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Well, the beauty of the Mr. Clean Autodry is that you don't need a 210mph leaf blower or towels for that matter. Its a 4-step process. Rinse bike/car with regular water, soap it up using their soap (you can wipe with a cloth also to get the dirt off), then rinse off the soap with regular water, then rinse again with the filtered water. After that, you don't need to dry at all. Just air-dry. It's the best thing out there in my opinion. I use it on my car as well and it comes out sparkling. When you buy the Mr. Clean, you get a hose attachment that you can switch between each step (regular water, soapy water, & filtered water).

tripleTUNE
04-07-2006, 08:06 PM
The issue I have with the Mr. Clean - I have it - is that I don't want water to sit on the bike and possibly rust something or soak in where it shouldn't. Trust me, my bike has seen water plenty, the thing seeks rain out on her own. The electric leaf blower just gets the water off quicker than air drying. It all comes down to personal preference in the end.

Eur0-SpeC
04-07-2006, 08:38 PM
why would you spray windex on paint, it contains harsh chemicals that remove grease, and after a while itll start to take away good moisture from your paint, like wax... it was made to clean glass, and has ammonia in so its going to strip your wax off and maybe start at your clear coat after while... so you should just use quik detailer one of the best iv found is Zaino Wax's products (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-6&Category_Code=Zaino)

KYLE22
04-07-2006, 09:14 PM
I now feel dumber after reading this post.... :dunce:

KYLE22
04-08-2006, 01:01 AM
im guessin your favorite cleaning product is windex?

Nope, Mr Clean all the way... :YEA

69z28lt1
04-08-2006, 10:38 AM
mr clean is fine, i use the same thing. just make sure you either use a leaf blower or pressure air to get the trapped water out. not that it will do anything but its just you can get out and ride faster.
If I can find pics of the vette here local that used Mr Clean, everyone using it would cring. Certian areas have bad water, even the filter cant fan it out. it left nice build up marks after he walked away for awhile to let it fully dry.

imbobdole
04-08-2006, 11:11 AM

+1 on the qwik detailer, but you should try this:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11146

GREAT stuff. anything by griot's garage is fantastic. it's like meguirs, only a little higher quality and easier to wipe off. and i think, per ounce, it's actually cheaper. i buy it by the gallon, if that gives you any idea of how often i use the stuff on my car and bike.