Other Fluids [Archive] - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

: Other Fluids

legend4life
04-13-2009, 01:14 PM
I just got my 05 with 9k on it recently, and I THINK most of the fluids were done 2 years ago according to seller, besides oil done before winter. Oil looks very clean, should it still be changed?

The brake fluids look light orange-ish (I think this is clean?), but the brakes don't feel incredibly touchy/powerful. I see the manual calls for rebuilding the brakes every 2 yrs, should this actually be done this often? Or just pads/fluid/bleed?

I'd like to change all the fluids in the bike, coolant, brake fluid, oil, etc. I think I'm going with Amsoil 10W-40 from Bob for the oil/filter. What else should I change and what kinds are recommended for best performance/reliability?

Amsoil Dealer Group
04-13-2009, 01:50 PM
I just got my 05 with 9k on it recently, and I THINK most of the fluids were done 2 years ago according to seller, besides oil done before winter. Oil looks very clean, should it still be changed?

The brake fluids look light orange-ish (I think this is clean?), but the brakes don't feel incredibly touchy/powerful. I see the manual calls for rebuilding the brakes every 2 yrs, should this actually be done this often? Or just pads/fluid/bleed?

I'd like to change all the fluids in the bike, coolant, brake fluid, oil, etc. I think I'm going with Amsoil 10W-40 from Bob for the oil/filter. What else should I change and what kinds are recommended for best performance/reliability?

Brake Fluid would be right on top of the list..

Brake Fluid is Hygroscopic and the system should be Bled every year and the totally flushed every other. Or however you would word that.

There is no way to tell if brake fluid is good or bad by looking at it if it is just contaminated with water. If you see any discoloration, the bike should be parked until the system is thoroughly flushed. I have DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid at an Unbeatable price...

Change the oil...If you live in an area where there was any storage time, the oil and filter should be changed before you ride. Most people don't understand that the TBN (oils ability to neutralize acidity) depletes even if the engine hasn't been run. Few oils will have the ability to ride-store-ride on and AMSOIL has a high enough TBN for that.

Fork oil... Some do, Some Don't... I will do mine this year as bike is nearing 2 yrs old... I will use AMSOIL STM 10 wgt fluid. I think every 3 yrs is an acceptable time frame

Unless you have Extended Life Anti-Freeze, it is only good for 2 years... I use AMSOIL (what else) Extended Life... Good for 7 years... 3.5 times longer than other Anti-Freeze.

Whichever your choice in Anti-Freeze... Make sure it is "Silicate Free"

Bob

Amsoil Dealer Group
04-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Also, Remember....

Any Brake fluid left over is junk... do not attempt to save it

shnormo
04-13-2009, 02:54 PM
I use DOT 4 synthetic fluid and I change it every year. For coolant, I use engine ice and change that out after 2 summers (1 winter). Fork fluid, I change every 2 years also. I stick with Yamaha's shock oil. It's hard to find an "identical" weight fluid. Amsoil 10w-40 in the crank case.

Amsoil Dealer Group
04-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I use DOT 4 synthetic fluid and I change it every year. For coolant, I use engine ice and change that out after 2 summers (1 winter). Fork fluid, I change every 2 years also. I stick with Yamaha's shock oil. It's hard to find an "identical" weight fluid. Amsoil 10w-40 in the crank case.

What is the Viscosity of the Yamaha Fork Oil ? Seems we sell a huge amount of our 10 wgt and we also have 7.5.

Bob

legend4life
04-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Brake Fluid would be right on top of the list..

Brake Fluid is Hygroscopic and the system should be Bled every year and the totally flushed every other. Or however you would word that.

There is no way to tell if brake fluid is good or bad by looking at it if it is just contaminated with water. If you see any discoloration, the bike should be parked until the system is thoroughly flushed. I have DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid at an Unbeatable price...

Change the oil...If you live in an area where there was any storage time, the oil and filter should be changed before you ride. Most people don't understand that the TBN (oils ability to neutralize acidity) depletes even if the engine hasn't been run. Few oils will have the ability to ride-store-ride on and AMSOIL has a high enough TBN for that.

Fork oil... Some do, Some Don't... I will do mine this year as bike is nearing 2 yrs old... I will use AMSOIL STM 10 wgt fluid. I think every 3 yrs is an acceptable time frame

Unless you have Extended Life Anti-Freeze, it is only good for 2 years... I use AMSOIL (what else) Extended Life... Good for 7 years... 3.5 times longer than other Anti-Freeze.

Whichever your choice in Anti-Freeze... Make sure it is "Silicate Free"

Bob

Thanks Bob for all of your help on here, very useful information. Its great to have you on this forum. I'll be adding those to my list, I'm assuming you can give a nice discount and also save me more on shipping cost to order everything at once? Please PM me prices on the brake fluid, coolant, fork oil, and engine oil all together.

Any other fluids left? Or other things you would advise to change on the bike to make sure it is up to spec maintenance wise?

What are the opinions on replacing the internals of the calipers and master cylinder every 2 yrs as the manual calls for? Is it necessary or not needed?

Can I do all of these myself DIY at home or are they difficult for a first timer? I have done oil/coolant/clutch fluid before on cars.

legend4life
04-16-2009, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. Is the engine ice good enough for the track and does it really cool better than pure water/water wetter? How much did it drop your temps? Will it protect against corrosion as good as the OEM stuff? Anyone know how Amsoil and others compare?

Whats the oem fork oil weight, and does the Amsoil work well for this?

maxapak
04-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey bob I have a question can you send me an invoice for 3 qts of amsoil an oilfilter, chain grease, Fork oil AMSOIL STM 10 wgt fluid, AMSOIL Extended Life antifreeze, DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid. I wan't to do it all for this season. How much will it all cost.???? I have an 06 yamaha R6 with about 3,000 miles on it.

Amsoil Dealer Group
04-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Hey bob I have a question can you send me an invoice for 3 qts of amsoil an oilfilter, chain grease, Fork oil AMSOIL STM 10 wgt fluid, AMSOIL Extended Life antifreeze, DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid. I wan't to do it all for this season. How much will it all cost.???? I have an 06 yamaha R6 with about 3,000 miles on it.

I sure can.... I will work it up tomorrow... I am just playing on the other computer right now and my pricing is on my office computer...

Thanks, Bob

maxapak
04-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I sure can.... I will work it up tomorrow... I am just playing on the other computer right now and my pricing is on my office computer...

Thanks, Bob

K thanks a lot! Post it when you can.

Amsoil Dealer Group
04-21-2009, 04:59 PM

Working on it right now.... Got a killer Migraine going..

Bob

Amsoil Dealer Group
04-21-2009, 05:38 PM

Max... You have a PM... After printing it off, I realized I just sold the same package to another R-6 member..

For anyone else.. This is what I have come up with as a pretty much all inclusive maintenance for fluids and oil filter for the 2 year mark on a bike.

3 Qts AMSOIL MCF 10W-40 Motorcycle Specific Oil
1 AMSOIL EAOM-103 Filter
2 Qts STM 10 Wgt Synthetic Fork Oil
1 Gallon AMSOIL Extended Life (7 yr) Anti-Freeze.. Silicate free
2 12 oz bottles DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid

In addition, I also have a "Small Filter Wrench" .. A couple of R-6 and R-1 guys said it is great.. It has a couple jaws that tighten the more pressure you have to apply.

Also... I think I have a great price on chain lube when included in an order.

You can contact rexmitchell here on the forum or myself.. Nobody beats our prices.

Bob

legend4life
04-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Max... You have a PM... After printing it off, I realized I just sold the same package to another R-6 member..

For anyone else.. This is what I have come up with as a pretty much all inclusive maintenance for fluids and oil filter for the 2 year mark on a bike.

3 Qts AMSOIL MCF 10W-40 Motorcycle Specific Oil
1 AMSOIL EAOM-103 Filter
2 Qts STM 10 Wgt Synthetic Fork Oil
1 Gallon AMSOIL Extended Life (7 yr) Anti-Freeze.. Silicate free
2 12 oz bottles DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid

In addition, I also have a "Small Filter Wrench" .. A couple of R-6 and R-1 guys said it is great.. It has a couple jaws that tighten the more pressure you have to apply.

Also... I think I have a great price on chain lube when included in an order.

You can contact rexmitchell here on the forum or myself.. Nobody beats our prices.

Bob

Why 2 quarts of the fork oil? How much is needed for a change?

Also I know brake fluid goes bad once opened, what about the other fluids:

Coolant -
Fork oil -
Engine oil -

Will any of these deteriorate once the seal is broken if kept in a closed container?

Amsoil Dealer Group
04-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Why 2 quarts of the fork oil? How much is needed for a change?

Also I know brake fluid goes bad once opened, what about the other fluids:

Coolant -
Fork oil -
Engine oil -

Will any of these deteriorate once the seal is broken if kept in a closed container?

For the fork oil.... I have been told that it is over 20 ounces per ... The Spec sheet I have does not show the forks so I am just going by what I have been told... If anyone can Verify otherwise, I would surely like to know.

You are absolutely correct on the brake fluid... Anything that is left over after it has been opened goes in with the waste oil.

The other fluids are fine but it is suggested to keep in a temperature controlled environment as much as possible due to condensation. This is regardless of opened or unopened..

The exception is Anti-Freeze.. It gets mixed with water anyhow.

Remember... Brakes should be Bled one year and the entire system flushed every other year. This goes for Hydraulic clutches a well. You cannot tell if brake fluid is bad by looking at it... If it does appear dirty, you are long,long overdue for a flush and the vehicle is not safe.

Bob

legend4life
04-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Ok the manual for my 05 calls for .502 quarts per fork, and Yamaha type 01 fluid.

Type 01 is 5w according to Maxima's racing fork oil page here: http://www.maximausa.com/products/suspension/forkfluid.asp

Can someone confirm, should our fluid be 5w or 10w?

Also how is the entire brake system flushed/how much extra fluid is needed for that?

Amsoil Dealer Group
04-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Ok the manual for my 05 calls for .502 quarts per fork, and Yamaha type 01 fluid.

Type 01 is 5w according to Maxima's racing fork oil page here: http://www.maximausa.com/products/suspension/forkfluid.asp

Can someone confirm, should our fluid be 5w or 10w?

Also how is the entire brake system flushed/how much extra fluid is needed for that?

So you would need 2 qts..... Someone else on the Forum here, maybe in this thread... said Yamaha was a 10 wgt...

I have Medium and Light Fluid

legend4life
04-22-2009, 08:41 PM
So you would need 2 qts..... Someone else on the Forum here, maybe in this thread... said Yamaha was a 10 wgt...

I have Medium and Light Fluid

I am getting a couple people saying it is 5 weight...is there any way to confirm?

We have to buy a full extra quart because Yamaha designed the damn things to take 1.04 quarts? lol that sucks.

Whats involved in the entire brake system flush you mentioned above/how much extra fluid is needed?

Amsoil Dealer Group
04-23-2009, 05:17 AM
I am getting a couple people saying it is 5 weight...is there any way to confirm?

We have to buy a full extra quart because Yamaha designed the damn things to take 1.04 quarts? lol that sucks.

Whats involved in the entire brake system flush you mentioned above/how much extra fluid is needed?

I will not have cell service today when the Dealers open but I can try and check tomorrow (Friday)

I ws thinking the same thing about the amount of Fork oil but I will almost bet buying 2 qts from me is less than buying the appropriate amount from a Dealer.

1 Bottle of Brake fluid is enough to do a sufficient bleed, 2 bottles is more than enough to do a System Flush.

Bob

legend4life
04-23-2009, 07:52 AM
I will not have cell service today when the Dealers open but I can try and check tomorrow (Friday)

I ws thinking the same thing about the amount of Fork oil but I will almost bet buying 2 qts from me is less than buying the appropriate amount from a Dealer.

1 Bottle of Brake fluid is enough to do a sufficient bleed, 2 bottles is more than enough to do a System Flush.

Bob

Ok great, please post when you find out.

If you drain your antifreeze to fill with water/watter wetter for the track, can you re-use the old antifreeze again if its still pretty new?

Amsoil Dealer Group
04-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Ok great, please post when you find out.

If you drain your antifreeze to fill with water/watter wetter for the track, can you re-use the old antifreeze again if its still pretty new?

Standard Anti-Freeze has a 2 year life span unless tested....

If you are talking the AMSOIL Anti-Freeze it has a 7 year life span..

Bob

legend4life
04-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Standard Anti-Freeze has a 2 year life span unless tested....

If you are talking the AMSOIL Anti-Freeze it has a 7 year life span..

Bob

So it will be okay to keep removing used antifreeze from the bike, storing in its container, and putting it back in the bike to re-use it multiple times within its life span?

Please let me know on the fork oil.

shnormo
04-26-2009, 05:59 PM
OK OFFICIALLY Yamaha Fork Fluid is a 0wt

01 Suspension Oil
Designed to provide the optimal flow rate in Yamaha suspensions on '98~'04 YZ and WR models, as well as high-performance street models such as YZF-R1, YZF-R6, FZ1, FZ6 and FJR1300.

*Please refer to your authorized Yamaha dealer for pricing. (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/apparel/apscitemdetail/3/122/all/1/610/detail.aspx)

legend4life
04-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Change the oil...If you live in an area where there was any storage time, the oil and filter should be changed before you ride. Most people don't understand that the TBN (oils ability to neutralize acidity) depletes even if the engine hasn't been run. Few oils will have the ability to ride-store-ride on and AMSOIL has a high enough TBN for that.Bob

Whatever (guessing OEM) this fresh oil was that it was changed to before winter storage and supposedly started every so often on, I have now ridden about 300 miles on it. Would this put notable wear on my engine? Should I stop riding it until I can change it?

I just ordered new oil from Rexmitchell, just wondering how bad it is to continue to ride on it for now.

Amsoil Dealer Group
04-28-2009, 02:30 PM
As far as any scale that may have formed, if any, it is worn off.

A little more riding shouldn't hurt anything. Just change ASAP now

Bob

Amsoil Dealer Group
04-30-2009, 02:08 PM
OK OFFICIALLY Yamaha Fork Fluid is a 0wt

01 Suspension Oil
Designed to provide the optimal flow rate in Yamaha suspensions on '98~'04 YZ and WR models, as well as high-performance street models such as YZF-R1, YZF-R6, FZ1, FZ6 and FJR1300.
(http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/apparel/apscitemdetail/3/122/all/1/610/detail.aspx)

OK... Because there has been so much talk about the Fork Oil, I did a little more research.. The Tech I got this from also raced an R-6

"0" Wgt.... "5" wgt.... "10" wgt.... how much difference is there?

Although slightly different than automotive as far as the Broadness of the scale. To look at it, you may assume that there is 5 Grades between each and in all actuallity it is one on the Viscosity chart.

BUT, that is broke down by cSt's or CentiStokes..

Yamaha "0" wgt is 3.58 cSt
AMSOIL "5" wgt is 4.38 cSt

Only 8/10ths of a cSt difference

Our "10" wgt is 7.3 , now we have a difference of 4 cSt...

AMSOIL 5 wgt (STL) if it is a street bike...

AMSOIL 10 wgt (STM) for a bike that is tracked..