Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

wheelie progress

8K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Chris Heinen 
#1 ·
hey guysI've been doing or trying wheelies for about a month now and I can get the front wheel up second gear clutch ups now but the only time I can actually ride wheelies is in first gear and RPM's redline way too fast. The front wheel comes up about 3 feet and I ride the wheelie to redline. But that only lasts about 5 seconds. I would like to work more on second gear clutch ups. I just need more pointers. I can get the front wheel up just fine for my own comfort. It comes up 3 feet or just alittle higher but the bike just drops back down.
Any tips??

#4 ·
You're clutching it up below BP and trying to ride your way to BP and running out of RPMs. I like to call them squid wheelies. Try clutching it up higher and actually using your rear brake.

You'll understand when you get there.

#5 ·
Thanks ridick. Ill I tried that out and I am riding them a lot konger but I still end up redlining. Im using the back break but I just dont seem to hit the BP. I feel like im there but I know im not. I just have to keep working on bringing it up higher. But I dony want to rush into it.

#9 ·
Squid whoolies!!!!!

Ridick - skeet skeet skeet

#11 ·
Try practicing at a slower speed

Ridick - skeet skeet skeet

#12 ·
Slower speed 2nd gear clutch up? So just give it more throttle right before clutching it up? Can you explain the technique for back braking also? Is it keeping a steady throttle position and use the rear brake to control the wheelie???

#15 ·
Go to the parking lot. Stay in first gear. clutch it up going 2 MPH get to balance point and lightly tap the rear brake. Lower your PSI on the rear tire and raise your idle.

Keep practicing that and once you can ride it and you can use your back brake to keep you up instead of the throttle then I would start with the faster wheelies. your just gonna hurt yourself trying to "learn" the back brake and find out you dont really know how when your going 50 Mph.

stay safe man and good luck.

#16 ·
More gas brah. Just keep on the gas and tap your brake when you start to here scrapping.

#18 ·
I've been riding constantly since june...started with a 15' rc390 than 2 months ago got an 07 r6. I have learned REALLY quickly from what I've heard from a lot of people...almost getting elbow down through the J turn at the snake--Mulholland. Got clutch-ups pretty well...cant pop them in second but I think its because I need to tighten my clutch cable...I have tried power wheelies and cant do it for the life of me though. I do think for me mentally its more sketchy to do than a clutch-up bc your just ripping the throttle back. I've been debating doing a -1 in the rear and potential a power commander for the extra umph...but I have no idea how people are doing power wheelies up through 3rd on stock gearing.

#24 ·
Idk bout everyone else here but it sounds like too many people are trying to do wheelies and to fast of a speed. I have yet to have to pop the clutch at anything higher than 8k rpm and that's out on the highway. Its all about having balls and knowing that if you mess up your bike is going to pay the price along with you and you have to be ok with it. Learning how to do wheelies the right way is a good place to start. A lot of it comes from practice and muscle memory. Always cover your brake and when you pop it up for a good while just tap the brake to get that feeling of knowing where you have to push to get the brake to catch. Then at slower speeds wither its first or second gear grab the clutch give gas and pop clutch. Front wheel with lift higher the more gas you give, as a stunter my suggestion is first gear but I know most will do second because the bike doesn't just jet up. Ease into how much gas you give before you pop it to get comfortable with the wheel coming up. Generally tire pressure set at about 20 psi will help so that you can have less side to side action going on. First gear is less than 5mph and second I would say nothing more than 15 or 20, but after doing it for so many years I'm not looking at the speedo anymore as I'm going by feel and sound of the bike. All I can say is good luck, stay safe, wear your gear, cover that brake at all times, and remember that its not if but when you dump the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.