Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Ohlins NIX Cartridge vs revalve/respring (with all ohlins)

9K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  tfs32 
#1 ·
Ok, so for starters I am WELL aware that the NIX inserts are >>>>>> than just the respring/revalve.

My query is is it worth the cash for the NIX (at 1k) vs the new ohlins springs + valving (maybe 500?) for a street/trackday bike. Im newb but due to my weight i need to redo everything anyways. Will the cartridge outlast the generic revalve enough that it will reasonably even out, or is the cartidge pure performance with the same miles/refresh needs as just redoing the vlaves and springs?

Thanks in advane.

Just for info. Itll go into stock 07 r6 forks. And be accompanied by a MKII as well.

#7 ·
Not really a question of confidence really. If the NIX are not only twice as expensive, but more expensive to maintain then they arent really worth it unless you race or live on the track. Id love to have the flexability they offer, but the cost is over the top if they need to be refreshed just as often as the latter would. So the real question is, for anyone that knows ohlins, are the refreshes on the NIX as often (and as parts/labor intesive) as the replacement valve/spring kits?

#6 ·
I just purchased a TTX and I am going through the same problem right now. As far as I know the service intervals would be about the same for the two, but I could be wrong.

I came to the conclusion at my level I don't need to spend the extra money so I'm probably just going to go for the re-valve and put the money into tires etc unless I find a cartridge kit for a great deal. My plan is to stay with the re-valve till I am pushing that to it's limit than I will spring for the full kit, so chances are I'll never get the kit LOL.

I know this doesn't really answer your question just thought I would share my reasoning, I am anxious to hear to opinions of the more experienced guys as well.

#8 ·
This is the hardest part of upgrading suspension... If you're going to go "this far" for X dollars, why not throw down a little more for something way better? It really depends on your budget. Get the best stuff you can comfortably afford (if you're going to at least utilize it on the track), IMO. Be aware of the fact that you might need to replace some of that stuff if you crash though..

#9 ·
picpocket is right . i have a ttx mk2 shock and i went with the fpk 107 fork piston kit with ohlin springs and fork oil. Reason is Robert Jenson my suspension guy said that the leap from stock to piston kit was huge. not so much for the change from the kit to the chartridge. also the hydraulic Stop can be disabled giving the kit another level of upgrade before that upgrade is needed growth in layers. thats the path i took.

#11 ·
Unless you are a regular track rider and fast it is not worth spending the extra. The standard forks are good with a piston kit and re valve. We tried a number of different pistons on our stock race bike and found the Racetech pistons the best. Our rider ran within half a second of Supersport bikes (national level meetings) at most tracks and qualified on the front row in combined races. The Ohlins stuff is good but most people will be able to be comfortable and quick on re valved stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.