Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Nasty gunk in air box?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Darthteddy 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of changing my spark plugs due to the bike running a little odd the last 2 days, and found a little pool of oil in the bottom left corner. Also some build up of gunk along the upper rear center of it. I'm gonna assume its commingle from the crank case breather at the back of the air ox, and that its on the left side from being on the kickstand. What causes this on these motors and how do I remedy it?

Maybe from over filling the oil by a little bit? I'm at the top of the slashed section with the bike level on the dipstick.

Here's a pic. Excuse the poor quality from my cell phone.

See less See more
#2 ·
Totally normal. The pcv vents into the air box as a way to increase ring sealing and somewhat reduce emissions. You can clean it all you want the oil will still come back. It is also a nice way to help collect dust that would ordinarily end up in the motor. Don't worry about it.

#9 ·
DANG university level exam question right thur.

#11 ·
do the kleen air mod and it will direct that oil into the top of the valve cover along with fumes and so on, stunters do it a lot just incase the bike is on its side a lot or upside down it wont put oil in your cylinder and cause a hydro lock and bend a rod.

#13 ·
OEM air filter. It has no oil on it whatsoever. Looks brand new. And bike hasnt been on its side since Ive owned it. Im thinking it might have been from the oil being on the high side. Im not thinking blowby since it doesnt smoke. (Unlike my turbo Mazda who just went through its 3rd motor this year)

Did my bi weekly oil change on Saturday and ensured its back in the middle of the dip stick.

Ill be due for sparkplugs again before January so ill report my findings then to see if its returned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.