Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Chief's 02 R6 Thread

136K views 446 replies 95 participants last post by  Elias Rao 
#1 · (Edited)
I decided I wanted to make a thread for my bike just to document it's progress and discuss it with anyone who is interested.

I have a black and red 2002 R6 I got as my first bike. I have neck arthritis and had to sell my YFZ450 atv, so I traded it plus a couple G's and got my first sportbike.

Here she is as I got her:

As you can see it came with a D&D pipe, red chrome windscreen, and ridiculous flame harley style mirrors that showed nothing but my elbows. Lemme know if anyone wants to buy em for a cruiser or something.

I only put gas in it for the first season and put about 2000 miles on her. The stock sized front tire (60) series, and the touring tires in general I had on it really made it handle like crap. Any decent lean angle would produce font tire push and it sputtered when maintaining speed.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The first thing I did was borrow a bunch of really nice gear from a friend, and ordered up some ebay mirrors which arrived in the fake carbon fiber look, but for $30 I didn't care. The bike is so much safer with mirrors, especially for a newer rider.

Here it is with the new mirrors on one of my first few rides with my friends and their much newer and nicer bike.

You can almost see the stupid Raiders sticker on the front fender.. grrrr

Attachments

#4 ·
Got some A* full gauntlet gloves, SMK jacket, and an AGV S4 helmet. Also picked up some A* Riding shoes/boots.

Next, I'm gonna get A* track pants since they started making them in a short version. Gonna also try to upgrade to the Sidi vertigo air boots asap.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Over the winter, I ordered a whole other mess of things. a bunch of stuff I got form people on this forum at great prices. Love this site!!
Here's the list, but I feel like I forgot a couple things.
  • Michelin Power Pures (70 front)
  • Cheap faux carbon fiber mirrors
  • Corbin Seat
  • Light smoke black DB windscreen
  • Driven 520 chain kit -1/+1 Black sprocket, the red one was magenta
  • SpeedoDRD
  • Painted Rear Hugger
  • Spiegler SS lines with red coating and chrome banjos
  • New factory OEM master cylinder
  • Factory pro velocity stacks
  • Factory pro jet kit
  • clutch plates, friction plates, and springs
  • new OEM throttle cables
  • New OEM clutch cable
  • Battery Tender Jr. with quick detach kit
  • Micron Race Header
  • HR1 Riot slip-on shorty exhaust. Matte black can with Red tip
  • Motion pro axle tool
  • Vortex front head lift stand
  • Vortex rear stand and red spools
  • Tune up stuff: Spark Plugs, Oil and filter
  • Go Pro HD Helmet cam

#16 ·
Me too bro. It'll be the first first generation I've seen with the riot shorty on it. Should look tits with the black can against the black front lower fairing and how the top of the bike is red so will be the tip. I think it's gonna look vicious and sound like hell on earth man. Should have it by the end of the week i hope. Also looks like i may have to take it to the shop to have em look at this misfire issue I'm having.

#10 · (Edited)
Rear tire with Driven 520 +1 sprocket

Front 70 series Power Pure tire up on the new Vortex stand. Lowered front end 10 mm to compensate for new front tire height. Still need to raise fender so it can go back on. Any tips?

Fork height after adjustment:

Vortex Rear stand, on vortex red spools. Painted Hugger. Undertail kit visible too.

Here's a shot of the chain on the bike. You can see the massive arch on the rear tire, which is only a 180. It really lays the bike down nicely when flipping through turns.

Not sure if you read bout how I cut the chain too short Well, it fit perfect on my friends 08 R6, so I spent hours doing his chain and putting his bike together.. love doing shit twice right? Still, It's better than running two master links, which would have been fine anyway..

A Better shot of the chain. Not cleaned yet.. Gooey

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Spiegler SS Lines

The Spiegler saga.. Got the lines. Love the look, etc.. Got the old rubber bumpers off the old lines so the new ones are nicely routed and protected. My buddy gave me some brake fluid for free.. It was Dot 5 which I figured should be ok even though it uses dot 4.. Well, it was a bad batch that was recalled by Harley for corroding the internals on the brakes. So had to flush and bleed ll over again..

With the older setup like my bike you have to pump the lever and loosen the banjo bolt on the master cylinder to bleed the cylinder. It's the only way to get a bleed. I read it in a couple threads. +100 to whoever posted that info.

Rear brake line:

Front MC and Right Caliper

A LOT more precise and strong braking power now! :)

Attachments

#12 ·
looks really nice man!

#13 · (Edited)
Carb Removal Cleaning & Jetting How To

The carbs are a real PIA to remove from the bike. I have seen several posts where people are having trouble locating the screws to loosen. This pic is with the carbs off. You can see the clamps don't move cause of a ridge on the boot that holds em steady. The left three have to be accessed with a long allen key. The screws are kinda visible by looking past the sync screws on the carb. Here's a pic with the carbs off so you can see where the screws are:

This next pic shows how you can access the right carb screw through the side of the frame after moving some wires aside.

This shot shows me with a brite LED headlight placed in the valve cover to shine into the screws location, and you can see the allen key in place. This is the #3 carb..

#14 · (Edited)
Carb Removal Cleaning & Jetting How To

Man, my laptop just BSOD'd in the middle of a monster post..

Anyway with the carbs off, check out the image below to see how to jet it and what to do with the bowls off:

Once you get the pilot screw caps drilled out (piece of cake, soft ass metal made to be removed easily) you can richen your pilot or low speed mixture which will help if your bike is breaking up under 1/8 throttle like whne maintaining speed..

When you remove the diaphragm cap, there is a spring that sits on top of the thing that holds the needle. It prevents the slides from flying up early in the RPM range.. I was told I should drill out the little hole on the slide just a hair and it will allow them to open up faster.. Anyone know of this or done it?

I set my needles with the shim one slot from the top. The clip can be lowered which raises the needle and richens your mid range up.. I also set my pilot screw 2.5 turns out (2 turns out is stock).

*A nice tip for getting the carbs to go in easily is to just wipe the rims of the manifold boots with a bit of oil filter oil and the carb will slip right on in.

Attachments

#324 ·
Re: Carb Removal Cleaning & Jetting How To

Man, my laptop just BSOD'd in the middle of a monster post..

Anyway with the carbs off, check out the image below to see how to jet it and what to do with the bowls off:

Once you get the pilot screw caps drilled out (piece of cake, soft ass metal made to be removed easily) you can richen your pilot or low speed mixture which will help if your bike is breaking up under 1/8 throttle like whne maintaining speed..

When you remove the diaphragm cap, there is a spring that sits on top of the thing that holds the needle. It prevents the slides from flying up early in the RPM range.. I was told I should drill out the little hole on the slide just a hair and it will allow them to open up faster.. Anyone know of this or done it?

I set my needles with the shim one slot from the top. The clip can be lowered which raises the needle and richens your mid range up.. I also set my pilot screw 2.5 turns out (2 turns out is stock).

*A nice tip for getting the carbs to go in easily is to just wipe the rims of the manifold boots with a bit of oil filter oil and the carb will slip right on in.
just to be clear, you have "pilot screw" marked... is that the same as the AF screw? most of the thumper sites refer to that as the AF screw, so i'm just wondering.

and drilling it out aint a cakewalk either. :fact

#15 · (Edited)
Foctory Pro Velocity Stacks and Corbin Seat

The Factory Pro Velocity stack look so fkcin sexy on there! :hump

The corbin seat with deep saddle. Sits a lil lower than stock. perfect feel. Gonna hit it with leather cleaner then zymol conditioner and I bet it'll darken up a bit and look better next to the rear seat, which is not as black as it looks from the camera flash.

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
New OEM throttle cables. I ordered em before I read about the R1 cable mod, but I really am not ready for anything that touchy yet so I'm still mega psyched about the new cables. I also got a clutch cable but haven't gotten it on yet.

I had a bunch of play and a slow return on the throttle. I put the new cables on and gave it a nice adjustment with the carbs half out so I could really tweak it. It feels better than my boys 08.

You pretty much just drop these three screws out of the housing and remove hte bar end.

Then you can get to the ends of the cables to replace.

These are the ends on the attach to the carb linkage. Really tight working space unles you have the carbs half out.

Attachments

#20 ·
Got her runnin again tonight. One of those pilot jets wasn't screwed in tight, came loose, jammed the float wide open. So much fuel dumping couldn't ignite.

HRr1 update: the didn't have the red tips in stop so I'll be gettinng a matte black can witb a ploished tip which will look awesome too. I should have it by next week for sure now.

also got my micrron race header today. Thx kaos_11

you guys think I should do the header with the d&d, and do a comparison and video, etc. And then do the riot and another video and comparison? I'll do it if anyone would be interested.

#22 ·
Hey man Devils beat you to the HR1

And I would be interested in the vid clip. I am running a full D&D and like the shorty look of the HR1 better. I wonder if it would be quieter or louder then the D&D.
Damn.. thought I hadn't seen a first gen yet with it. lol

I'll make up the vids for you then bro. It should be sick

#23 ·
Project is looking good!... Mine is just getting started.

#26 ·
I hear a bro. I spent all winter gathering up all these parts. Mad $$$ spent.

o well, you only live oce and this is my first bike. I really wanted to get to know it well so I figured I'd do some work on it. I bought the bike and only put gas in it for 2000 miles of riiding last season!!

#28 · (Edited)
Sticker removal How To and Raise Fender for 70 Series

Gonna have to change the oil again. It definitely got thinned out.

My HR1 Slip on should be here tomorrow. Pics of that to come. I also got the bike put back together with the DB windscreen, etc.. Pics to come. Gotta place an order for OEM parts today so i can get new exhaust gaskets and a buncha other shit I need. Carb bowl gaskets cause I think one may be weeping a little gas. :(

I raised my front fender for the 70 series power pure. When I bought the bike, there was a stupid Raiders sticker on the front fender. It's been really bothering me a lot, so while the fender was off I did a quick sticker removal too.

Who does this shit to a bike? WTF! And of all teams, the Raiders?!

Hair Dryer and GF helps the process quite a bit!

A little Goo Gone for the sticky mess left on the fender.

All Cleaned up and ready to be grinded

Dremel time

All done. Holes elongated just a bit, lifted the fender a few mm's.

There she is all done and mounted up on the bike. Looks sweet cause it's still snug looking.

Attachments

#31 · (Edited)
Gonna have to change the oil again. It definitely got thinned out.

My HR1 Slip on should be here tomorrow. Pics of that to come. I also got the bike put back together with the DB windscreen, etc.. Pics to come. Gotta place an order for OEM parts today so i can get new exhaust gaskets and a buncha other shit I need. Carb bowl gaskets cause I think one may be weeping a little gas. :(

I raised my front fender for the 70 series power pure. When I bought the bike, there was a stupid Raiders sticker on the front fender. It's been really bothering me a lot, so while the fender was off I did a quick sticker removal too.

Who does this shit to a bike? WTF! And of all teams, the Raiders?!

I just bought my first bike (an 99' R6 with 10k on it) and the previous owner put a 70 series tire on the front. I can hear it rub at low speeds only. To make sure it was the fender on the tire like I thought, I removed the fender and went for a ride. Nothing, sweet! I'll just raise it I thought. Well, the two Phillips screws seemed to strip fairly easy (it's not so bad I can't still use them, just have to get that last 1/8" turn with pliers). Got it back together after elongating the holes and it still scrapes, so I don't know if I should try to raise it more or what. When fully assembled it doesn't seem as "in place" with the holes elongated. Here are a couple of pictures of the bike.

#30 ·
Thanks!! I'll definitely have a bunch of info up here right after I get it on the bike. Sound clips and videos will all be up. My D&D sounds so perfect on my bike, I don't know how much better it can get, but the look of the HR1 riot is too sweet. WE'll see soon!!

I love the color scheme on this bike so much. It's just a sweet lookin bike!

#33 · (Edited)
Hot Dog Johnny's!!

Went for a pretty awesome ride on Thursday to this awesome hot dog joint. Figured I'd post up a pic with the new DB windscreen on the bike. Also, I have been super happy with the -1/+1 520 kit I put on the bike. Bike is a whole new animal now!! :)

The windscreen looks a lot better than the red chrome one, and keeps me out of the wind much better when I lean down. Psyched!!

Attachments

#35 · (Edited)
HR1 Riot & Ogio No Drag Backpack

Finally got the stuff in I had been waiting on. Now I'm just waiting on an order for stock parts (rear brake pads, air filter, fuel filter, exhaust gaskets too).

I got the HR1 Riot slip-on in (matte black with polished tip).
BikeBolts.com fairing screw kit (polished)
Ogio No drag backpack
A* track pants (new short model)

Crappy pics but whatever

Slip on has the adjustable back pressure tip. Looks pretty cool. I guess I just loosen the allen head bolts and turn it to open it up more? It's not much bigger than an envelope as you can see.

The new gear:

#37 · (Edited)
D&D Slip on Sound Clip Video

Here is the sound clip/short video of the bike as it sits now with the D&D on it. I promised a couple people I would post sound clips of before and after the HR1 slip on. Here's the video. I only included the scenes where you can hear the bike well. I went under a couple overpasses too :)

I really didn't get too many full throttle pulls, but the go pro with the open back cover really picks up the sound well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.