Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Yoshi R-55 issue, may apply to other slip-ons too

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  EJ_R6Ryder 
#1 ·
So I was trying to install my Yoshi R-55 slip on. Slips on's should take about 10 minutes to install normally. Well after 2 hours of scratching my head, calling Yoshimura, I gave up.

Their slip on pipe comes with a reducer for the factory cat pipe. The reducer they sent with my kit was too small a diameter and would not slide over the cat pipe. The outside diameter of their reducer, was almost exactlly the same diameter as the cat pipe and just flat out impossible to fit.

The guy said, to send the reducer back to them and they will fix/resize it. I was like can't you just send me a new one of the correct size. Told me to send the reducer back to them or send the whole thing back to where I bought it. WTF, is sending me the correct size reducer to fix the problem going to bankrupt their company?

Fug that. What happens if the reducer gets lost in the mail. how many months am I gonna have to wait for them to resize the pipe. What if it's wrong again. I asked him if a muffler shop could just open it up a hair and he said well they may not do a good job. Hmmm like you guys made is so good yourself.

So has anybody come across a similar issue with a slip on? Did you have somebody resize it or what? I'm really leaning towards just getting my money back and going with a different brand all together. Never fails, all the mods that should be easy turn out to be a pain and the ones that should be a pain go easier than expected.

It sucks because it's a good looking exhaust.

Curious. If I used a cat delete pipe, does the cat delete pipe use a diameter larger than the stock cat pipe? I was thinking of getting one but wasn't sure if I wanted to or not.

See less See more
#2 ·
Send it back and get another brand! They don't deserve your business.

#3 ·
The guy I was talking to on the phone was starting to irritate me, so I hung up on him.

So I just sent them an e-mail (below). We'll see what happens. I'm going to stop by my hot rod muffler shop and see if they can possibly fix it. I know they have the machines to stretch those things, they do it all the time and they're a family business that's been around since the early 60's.

.....................................................................................................

I have a 2012 Yamaha YZF-R6. I bought the all stainless R-55 slip on kit for my bike. The kit has an adapter that reduces from the larger slip on diameter hole, down to the factory cat pipe diameter.

The end that slips into the slip on fits fine. The other end of that adapter, the inner diameter is about .030" smaller than the outide diameter of the factory cat pipe. It is impossible to get the system to work.

Since this is the only thing wrong with the whole kit, can you please send me a correct fitting part? I don't want to have to ship it all back to Dennis Kirk, get my money back and buy another brand of exhaust, unless I have to. I would just like the correct sized adapter, so I can install the pipe because I really like it and want to use it.

The part number on the box and the instructions match and they are 1362285.

#5 ·
I'd get refunded from where you bought it and get another one. Don't waste your time with morons like that.

#6 ·
The muffler shop thing didn't work, long story.

They said if I took and send them a pic of what is wrong, even though I told them, they would send me a new part. Guess they don't believe me. Went to take a couple of pics of what the digital micrometer shows in regards to each pipe diameter. Camera is apparently fried now, so no can take pics.

It's not worth pursuing anymore. Bummer part is some other poor sap will end up with that same kit. Oh well maybe his camera works.

#7 ·
Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent them when they told me to take pics of their mistake..........................

My Digital camera is fried now! I was going to take two pics. One pic with the digital caliper showing the outside diameter of the factory cat pipe at ~1.780" and a pic of the micrometer showing the inside diameter of the adapter at ~1.725"

That camera most likely wouldn't have picked up the numbers on the micrometer anyway because it is a very old 3 mega pixel camera. So I will return the R-55 exhaust and buy a different brand. Funny thing is, you will have the same problem again when the next person buys the one I return. Hopefully their camera will work.

I have already started a thread on this whole ordeal. Maybe I should send you the link to the thread, since you don't believe anything anybody tells you! I will be 44 years old next week and I have better things to do than lie about a Damn $2 metal pipe part being made wrong. Even if the camera worked and showed the numbers on the micrometer, since you think I'm making this up and you just can't believe you screwed up a part, you would claim I did this or that to make it look like it was the wrong size.

I can take a pic of it with my cell phone but I'm not giving out my cell number by texting the pics to anybody.

The more I type, the more pissed off I get, so forget it!!

Interesting customer service, especially considering how bad the economy is. Good way to loose business. Yes this e-mail will be posted in the thread too.

Chad

#9 ·
Damn it. I'm gonna have to find a place and re-order this exhaust I think, even as much as they ticked me off, as it's the only exhaust I like the looks of. Maybe I can bend over and order it through my Yamaha dealer.

This ricer slip on megaphone I ordered that will be here today ain't gonna cut it and I havent even seen it in person yet. DK was enough to wave the retocking fee which was cool, even though it was just past 90 days.

There is a G&G megaphone that is similar to the Harris Megaphone but looks like it has much better welds. They are both insainly priced for a glorified muffler tip though. Most of the exhausts I have seen make me want to puke.

#10 ·
pick up my hotbodies megaphone for 60$ shipped.....

its cheap and will do for now until you get a better slip on

actually thats the reason im selling it, cause i picked up 05 headers and a devil rocket CF slip on

#11 ·
Mate this is exactly what happened to me........except all I did was take a dremel to the reducer.....I cut another three 'streacher' lines in it and F%*king jammed it on lmao it fit perfect and I cleaned any excess pipe off with the dremel aswell......what a pain in the ass right? mine ended up with perfect fitment using that little clamp thing......

#12 ·
I had thought about doing that as well (having 2-4 lines instead of one) but I was concerened I would have to cut those lines all the way into and through that small ~45 degree 'step up' to the bigger diameter and that it would cause leaking points once forced onto and clamped to the cat pipe.

Any leaking points I suppose could have been filled in with a weld here and there but I guess I was just being a bitch and didn't think I should have to do that with a Yoshi slip on LOL. I was tired and in a bad mood before and just didn't like the way they were on the phone or in their e-mails.

#13 ·
i saw the r55 slip on priced @ $450 for the all stainless on dennis kirk

might want to check with motomummy they have it for $400 w/ free shipping

i ordered a couple things from them and one item even shipped the same business day. im sure you can call them up to confirm the diameter of adapter too if they have it in stock.

if you're going to order it from the dealer and they dont have it in stock... some of them will charge you a restocking fee if you want to return it.

#14 ·
I will look into MotoMummy. When I bought mine from DK 3 months ago they were $415 with free shipping but now they are up to, like you said $450, plus I ate a few bucks for sending it back. But knowing I will most likely have the same problem again and have to ghetto rig something leaves me on the fence.

This megaphone slip on I got today, I can't make up my mind if I want to send it back or use it for target practice or melt it down and make fishing weights out of it.

I wouldn't even put this tip on a lawnmower. After I ordered it I knew I wasn't going to like it. It never shows in any pics but of all the places they decided to run a lengthwise welded seam, they put it in the most obvious place (180 degrees from the swingarm).

If the swingarm side of the slip on is the 9 o'clock position, why would you put the welded seem in the 3 o'clock position, instead of the 6'oclock position where it wouldn't be seen?

Maybe I'm just way too picky.

Should just leave it with the stock can gone and call it a day.

#16 ·
When i bought my R-55 i oredered it through hawkeye superbikes here in my town, and when i got it the baffle is suppose to be out of it and in a seperate package, but with mine it was installed in the slip on already, which made me think that yosh had sold this to someone and they had the same problem as you did and they sent it back after putting the baffle in it, when i put the slip-on, on my bike i had the same problem, i just used a rubber mallot and a 2x4 and beat it on, but then it wouldnt go on all the way so i had to take off a mesh sort of thing and do it all over again, and now it looks great and with the baffle out it sounds great to, i love it, but the hassle dealing with it did piss me off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.