Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2012 R6 Exhaust Questions

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  DeathMachine 
#1 ·
Ok, so I don't plan on getting a full exhaust for my bike, but I wanted something that sounded good without being ridiculous, so I decided to go with a Jardine GP1 slip on megaphone pipe thing. Now I have a couple questions when it comes to upgrading exhaust. Here goes:

First: When removing my stock muffler assembly, is there anything I have to watch out for? Like are there any sensors or cables or anything attached to the stock muffler? Also does it just unbolt off by clamps? I'm waiting for the Jardine to get here so I want to know how to swap pipes before I go into it? I know it can't be hard, just wanna know what, if anything, will get in my way.

Second: Upon installing a slip on, do I need to retune the bike? Or can I run it on the stock tune and be ok? Being the cat and all that is still there.

Third: I saw something floating around about smog block off plates by Graves, what are they and would I need them for anything?

Thanks guys.

#2 ·
I went through the same process. You should look for my thread I asked the same question. Maybe other questions you may have will be answered on that thread. I'm on mobile right now so I can't really link you to it.

But I also have a 2012 and yes the stock exhaust does remove fairly easy. There are two cables that connect to it. I did the exup removal (diy guide is also provided here) which ain't very hard and took care of those cables.

As far as the Jardine slip on, noise is about 10 percent louder
You'll have to remove the muffler for a louder tone I believe that what it's keeping it quite

Anyhow ill let more experience riders give you the 411 on this

I'm a new rider with little knowledge just trying to help out from what I learn from here

#3 ·
Don't worry about having to re-tune your bike, power commanders, or block off plates. Those are only needed when you decide to upgrade your headers or remove the cat. The stock slipon comes off easily enough but you will have the exup cables dangling there until you decide to do something with them.

#10 ·
someones not having a good day...

but yea i agree, your sig is loaded with goodies

#9 · (Edited)
Ok, so I don't plan on getting a full exhaust for my bike, but I wanted something that sounded good without being ridiculous, so I decided to go with a Jardine GP1 slip on megaphone pipe thing. Now I have a couple questions when it comes to upgrading exhaust. Here goes:

First: When removing my stock muffler assembly, is there anything I have to watch out for? Like are there any sensors or cables or anything attached to the stock muffler? Also does it just unbolt off by clamps? I'm waiting for the Jardine to get here so I want to know how to swap pipes before I go into it? I know it can't be hard, just wanna know what, if anything, will get in my way.

Second: Upon installing a slip on, do I need to retune the bike? Or can I run it on the stock tune and be ok? Being the cat and all that is still there.

Third: I saw something floating around about smog block off plates by Graves, what are they and would I need them for anything?

Thanks guys.
you really contradicted yourself right there partner, that shit will be fing loud once you take the cat off...leo vince, akrapovic, m4 or any slip on will sound better than the jardine or megaphone.

if you remove the cat yes you will need either a pcv or bazzaz..if you do not remove the cat then you need to do nothing to the bike(your slip on wont change the tone much, your bike will sound almost the same)

oops my bad thought i read something about you removing the cat ha long day..slip on you'll be fine either the jardine or megaphone won't be loud and you don't need anything else

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.