Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

BMC Air Filters... Restrictor or No Restrictor

10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  R6'n-Santibanez 
#1 ·
I'm finally swapping out the stock air filter on my R6 track/race bike. I heard great thing about BMC so i picked up the no-restrictor model. Benefit of this is that it stiill comes with the restrictor, but is optional to screw on or not.

Who runs with or without restrictor filters? I know part of runningn with the restrictor is to comply with superstock rules, but apart from mine being tuned for a stock filter, what other benefits will I get if Iuse the restrictor vs don't use it?

I have the autotune so i hope i wouldnt run into needing much tuning time, but if there's anything else i should consider before adding the restrictor, let me know please and thanks.

I'm aware of the air flow benefits of the bmc filters, whichever decision i make, but if it would make any substantial or noticeable gains is another story.

#2 · (Edited)
there are ZERO BENEFITS from running the restrictor.. it was a noise reducing device added by yamaha, along with restricting the butterfly opening at high rpm (can do this because it's fly by wire), to meet noise regulations. This is the reason the R6 benefits more than many bike from an ECU flash or kit ecu, and from removing the snorkel/restrictor.

this is a topic you could have searched, you know there are multiple threads on this, some quite heated ;) .. I'm telling you (and any notable race engine tuner will tell you), there are hp gains not running it. Will you feel em? don't know, but leave the damn thing off. http://www.proflowtech.com/2012/09/...2-horsepower-on-the-2006-and-later-yamaha-r6/

#6 ·
Thanks..... ECU flash done and done already. Ugh. May can't come soon enough :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.