Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

How to: install brake pads

11K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  ChouDawg 
#1 · (Edited)
Haven't seen any detailed how-to's on brake pads, so i figured i'd throw this up. I'm installing Carbone Lorraine SBK5 brake pads (from motomummy.com) on my 2008 R6 (non S). Alright fellas this is my first write up, so bear with me :)

This is by far on of the easiest mods / work i've done to my bike yet
Stands are not necessary but they make the job easier

1. first things first -- the tools necessary to complete the job

- 6mm Allen wrench(T-handle and L-key)
- Ratchet (12mm socket, 7/8 socket)
- Zip ties
- Simple Green
- Spray Bottle (water)
- tooth brush
- pliers
- shop towels
- sand paper

2. Take off each Caliper (12mm socket) by unscrewing the two bolts on the back of the caliper.

3. Run a zip tie through the caliper and hang them on something (i used my frame slider) so that there isn't any stress on the brake lines.

4. Next, remove the front wheel...loosen the 2 allen bolts (6mm) on each side of the wheel. this is where you want to use the L key (for the inside bolts) it's alot easier to loosen the bolt with the L key

5. Unscrew the big bolt that is holding the axle in place (7/8 socket)
http://www.onthethrottle.com/content/view/72/40/

6. Push the axle out and brace the wheel -- remove the wheel

7. Not a necessary step but i chose to do it: take some heavy grit sand paper and sand your rotors to remove the old brake pad residue

8. Time to remove the old brake pads. Grab your pliers and remove the two cotter pins that are on each side of the brake pads. Push the rod out of the caliper and remove the old pads.

9. Next, i cleaned out my calipers. Get your simple green, tooth brush, spray bottle, and shop towels ready. Grab your caliper and spray the simple green all on the inside of your caliper, let it soak up a bit and then grab your tooth brush and scrub away. once you're done scrubbing, take your spray bottle filled with water and spray the calipers down. Dry them thoroughly with your shop towels
http://www.onthethrottle.com/content/view/397/40/

much cleaner

10. Now we put the new brake pads in. Grab your pads, line them up in the caliper. Push the pistons back into place so that they fit easily over your rotors. Put the rod through the calipers and brake pads, then put the cotter pins back in. Hang your calipers back up

11. Install your front wheel. Line your wheel up and insert the axle through the wheel. tighten up those two allen bolts on each side and torque (67ft. lbs.) that massive bolt back through your axle

Not necessary, but i greased my axle before i reinstalled the front wheel.

12. Gently install the calipers over your rotors and bolt 'em back up.

13. Pump up the brakes with your lever and off you go...slowly scrub/break the new pads in on the street :)

hope that wasn't too complicated

See less See more
#4 ·
Great write up!!!:cheers Should come in handy someday! :D Did you also replace the rear brake pads, if so, were they Carbone Lorraine SBK5 as well? All the site's ive seen just sell the top brand pads for the front and not the rear. Just wondering!

#7 ·
Yup, the Hayne's Service & Repair Manual also tells you that you can sand the rotors with sand paper as long as the rotors are not warped. If they are warped, its recommended to get resurfaced or get new rotors lol.

#10 ·
Not to take anything away from your write-up but that seem like a lot of work for pads. I'm not sure if the 08-09 brakes are any different then the 06-07 but I can change my pads out in 5 min. tops. Just remove the cotter pins, the pad retainer piece and the stock pads should slide right off...

#11 ·
i was changing different company brake pads, so it's recommended that you sand or resurface your rotors to get that old brake pad residue off. also, my calipers were filthy and i wanted to get all that brake dust and dirt out of the pistons. I'm just extremely OCD when it comes to the bike :laugh

#14 ·
If you're just doing pads and not resurfacing/sanding your rotors you can skip steps 4-7 and 11. There really are only two bolts that hold the calipers to the forks and the cotter pins, it's really simple if you take a look at your calipers. Here's a shot of the calipers the two hex bolt safety wired to each other top/bottom are the caliper bolts.

#16 ·
Long time. I've got 15k on mine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.