Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

How far can you go after the gas light comes on?

28K views 50 replies 38 participants last post by  J-PASO 
#1 ·
Anyone got a rough estimate of how many miles you can travel on the remaining fuel after the gas light comes on? I once ran mine for 2 days with the light on but not sure of the mileage I put on it.

#37 ·
If you baby it you could probly do 50. Ive done about 35 and still had about half a gallon, but who knows how much of that is usable fuel. If you run modern fuel pumps til you shut off you most likely will burn up the pump. So like with everyone else here, dont risk it. Run 20-30 and get some gas.

#41 ·
This might vary between different bikes. In my case, the light comes on right at 3.475 U.S. gallons used (4.344 Imperial gallons; 13.153 liters). I know for sure because a couple times I filled up at a station only 1/5 +/- mile after the light came on.

Since the tank (on the '07 anyway) holds 4.6 gallons, 4.6 minus 3.475 leaves 1.125 gallons. I average just slightly under 40 mpg, so I could go roughly 45 miles before the tank goes totally dry.

My rule of thumb is to fill up at somewhere between 20 to 25 miles after the low fuel light is on. With that light illuminating with over 1 gallon left, it gives plenty of warning.

#46 ·
the tank holds about 4.5 gal and I filled up .9 miles after my light came on and it only took 3.3gal to fill up, but I dont fill it ALL the way to the top, so I figure i had about a gal or just under when it came on. I get about 42mpg so my math says I could do about another 40 miles or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.